Going Aisin-details, details, details (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

77mustard40

SILVER Star
Threads
I made the commitment some time ago to ditch the aftermarket carbs and get back to stock, or as near as possible. Down the torpedos with Holley and Weber. My 77 FJ40 has never had its original carb in the years I've owned it so here is what I have pulled together: 1/76 carb - just completed a rebuild https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/523785-another-carb-rebuild-thread.html ;insulator that I have cleaned up and repaired, air cleaner assembly that has been reconditioned (don't know the year); choke cable, original pedal and most of the linkage parts (just found the bracket that sits on the intake and holds the shaft of the linkage, its on the way)

I'm still missing some key pieces and have some questions:
1. I ordered from TEQ the hard fuel line nuts and sleeves - I make the supply and return lines. What are the specs for the fuel hard line (ID and OD), my current one is pretty bent up and tough to get a good measurement. I need to source new steel line to fab replacements.
2. I've searched my wiring harness under the hood looking for the wire to my idle solenoid and can't find it. Where does the 12V keyed supply originate, looks like I will have to make one. (FYI I have a line currently to my electric choke on the webber from the coil, will that work?)
3. Can I source vacuum from the insulator and split it to use for the connection on top of the carb (power valve?) and for the throttle positioner?
carb n goodies.jpg

1. Not sure of the size of the tube, but if you use SAE tube, use a SAE ferrule. If metric, use a metric ferrule.
2. It comes out of the harness running on top of the engine. It comes from the "engine" fuse. If you don't have a wire, the closest place to connect is the IGN terminal of the voltage wire where the black wire with yellow stripe connects.
3. If you are talking about the insulator under the base of the carb, the answer is yes. It needs manifold vacuum and anything below the throttle plates is manifold vacuum.

Stock on a '77, the idle solenoid power comes from a wire that is bundled with the brake reservoir switch wires, on the driver's side fender.

subzali said:
Stock on a '77, the idle solenoid power comes from a wire that is bundled with the brake reservoir switch wires, on the driver's side fender.

Thanks I will keep looking on the drivers side, in the meantime I found a black/yellow source as a fall back.

On the fuel line front, I think I will wait for the nuts and ferrules from Toyota since the connections to the carb must be metric. I can take ferrule and nut to find tubing to fit it.

Thanks I will keep looking on the drivers side, in the meantime I found a black/yellow source as a fall back.

On the fuel line front, I think I will wait for the nuts and ferrules from Toyota since the connections to the carb must be metric. I can take ferrule and nut to find tubing to fit it.

Any black/yellow wire is fine, as long as it is not part of the ignition circuit. The ignition is not fused and it is not wise to connect other things that may short out and fail to the ignition.

Metric tube is not so easy to find in the US. The closest size SAE should be fine as long as you use the right ferrule.

Pin_Head said:
Any black/yellow wire is fine, as long as it is not part of the ignition circuit. The ignition is not fused and it is not wise to connect other things that may short out and fail to the ignition.

Metric tube is not so easy to find in the US. The closest size SAE should be fine as long as you use the right ferrule.

Thanks PinHead. I get your drift with both recommendations. If my last few items come together I may be ready to do this next weekend.

FWIW, I found a guy parting an FJ40 a few years ago and was able to buy some stock fuel hardlines from him. Been working great for 5+ years, I don't know why the PO used the rubber softlines in the first place? :confused:

Check the classifieds :cheers:

HELP ID this air cleaner

OK I'm getting ready to switch carbs but struggling to ID my air cleaner so I can find the "elbow" attachment that goes from the rectangular opening to round so I can run a hose to the front air intake. Here are a few pics, I've check the part # and looked at photo's (SOR) and cannot find the piece I am looking for. Almost wondering if this is a non-USA assembly, any thoughts?
air1.jpg
air2.jpg
airpart#.jpg

Looks like that is the stock air cleaner. My May 1976 FJ40 has one just like it but not as shiny and new looking. Good luck with the carb. I went back to the stock carb after years of fighting a Rochester 2bbl that the PO installed and it was one of the best swaps I ever did. Gas milage, power and reliability all increased with the stock carb back in place. Plus it is nice just having a manual choke for cold morning startups. :cool:

duffontap said:
I've got a couple sets of hard lines that are in decent shape. They would be a little awkward to package but they don't weigh anything. PM if interested.

You'll love that Aisan.

Thanks for the offer but I found some this week that I'm cleaning up.

You are not finding the air cleaner "elbow" because typically it is sold as part of the assembly not pulled off like yours is. I have a few parts air cleaners that I can pull the missing pieces from. PM me if you're interested.

Nick

OK I'm getting ready to switch carbs but struggling to ID my air cleaner so I can find the "elbow" attachment that goes from the rectangular opening to round so I can run a hose to the front air intake. Here are a few pics, I've check the part # and looked at photo's (SOR) and cannot find the piece I am looking for. Almost wondering if this is a non-USA assembly, any thoughts?

That's exactly the same as all my '77-'78 air cleaners from what I can see.

What kind of paint did you use to refinish that? It looks fantastic.

JD

:confused: You only use your choke for start-ups? ;) I always use mine, too. Usually I'll use a partial (1/4-1/3) choke for the first minute or three of cold operation.

1-3 minutes only :confused: my motor needs a lot longer to warm up

yeah, I hardly ever pull it out completely

Great work. Now I know who to ask for carb advice. :)

duffontap said:
That's exactly the same as all my '77-'78 air cleaners from what I can see.

What kind of paint did you use to refinish that? It looks fantastic.

JD

I blasted and powder coated it

Ok I have the Weber off. Do the stud go in with the long threads down or up?

I think I figured out they go short threads down; should I use Locktite on the studs?
image-340165027.jpg
image-3760002498.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom