1975 FJ55 No Start, No Spark, No Understand (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
My 1975 FJ55 was running well for the last year, when it suddenly refused to start.

I've been trying to wrap my brain around cause; and when I touch the HT wire from the coil to the engine block, I get no spark.

I have 11.25 V with the key on to the coil, as well as coming out of the HT.

I did a resistance test and primary circuit is 2.4 and secondary is 10.71

The wire coming from the starter to the coil is disconnected and hasn't been for the last year; maybe a couple inches of wire stick out going nowhere.

43756793_10215878859558852_719489408142671872_n.jpg

I'm confused about what ignition assembly went on what model year, so I've attached a pic of my coil assembly. Looks like a ballast resistor and igniter job.

43880511_10215878859158842_1122760427483168768_n.jpg

I've read a bunch of threads on this subject and am frankly confused about what to do. Depending on what you read, the coil is either bad or good. Any thoughts on what to check?

So Drew, are you saying... the starter turns the engine, but the engine doesn’t start?

Not the fusible link if the key makes the starter turn.

Dumb question... you know the coil to dissy wire is not connected to the coil, right?

So Drew, are you saying... the starter turns the engine, but the engine doesn’t start?

Not the fusible link if the key makes the starter turn.

Dumb question... you know the coil to dissy wire is not connected to the coil, right?

Starter turns fine. And yes, I disconnected the HT lead to test it.

It would be between battery+ and harness in the PS apron

What's a "PS apron?"

On my iPhone, your starter looks small... like a gear reduction starter, from an FJ60.

If that’s the case, you don’t need the third wire.

Make sure your starter case is cleanly grounded to the PS frame... probably near the clutch slave cylinder.

This (your second pic) looks like a fusible link... is the black burned or just the pic?

4F111F7D-2183-418E-9ED1-94E2CC78476D.png

On my iPhone, your starter looks small... like a gear reduction starter, from an FJ60.

If that’s the case, you don’t need the third wire.

Make sure your starter case is cleanly grounded to the PS frame... probably near the clutch slave cylinder.

This (your second pic) looks like a fusible link... is the black burned or just the pic?

View attachment 1809046

All the underhood wires and connectors look like that. It's just old and grungy. Frankly, the whole wiring shooting match needs replaced.

Starter turns... does it sound like the starter’s engaging... but the engine isn’t firing?

Are you sure the carb is getting fuel?

If you don’t see oil dumped around your coil, the coil is probably fine.

I would clean the major grounds, battery- to PS frame (behind front PS wheel) & starter case to PS frame.

So, with HT wire connected to coil, key turned causes dissy end of HT to NOT spark?

Starter turns... does it sound like the starter’s engaging... but the engine isn’t firing?

Are you sure the carb is getting fuel?

The engine is turning over like mad when the key is turned and the starter's engaged.

It smells flooded and when I touch the inside of the carb, my finger comes away with we gas.

If you don’t see oil dumped around your coil, the coil is probably fine.

Bone dry around coil

I would clean the major grounds, battery- to PS frame (behind front PS wheel) & starter case to PS frame.

So, with HT wire connected to coil, key turned causes dissy end of HT to NOT spark?

While my wife ground the starter, and the engine turned over like mad, I touched the dizzy end of the HT to the block, and got zero spark.

It’s Pig Latin... I thought that was appropriate.

You stillrecognize a bullseye, right Drew?

That the distributor. ;)

View attachment 1809066

The round thing, about a foot and a half away from the word "distributor?"

I have to admit, I simply don't understand electrical schematics.

They don't even remotely resemble real world wiring, and most lack contextual information that would make them understandable.

BY - Black/yellow stripe
B - Black
R - Red
WB- White/Black stripe

Shows you what color runs where

You could just make sure it’s all connected, from component to component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom