Builds 1973 FJ40 New Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This picture is to ask you fellas what you think of the master cylinder reservoirs. The rubber caps don't seal at all and there's basically no fluid in the brake system. Should I try to source just the reservoirs, or is it worth getting a whole new master cylinder unit?

View attachment 2809242
Those are rebuildable, sometimes. Take it apart, look at the bore.
I like patina as much as the next guy, I'd probably get a new master and reservoirs.

On the fuel pump leak. Check your oil by smell and see if it smells like gasoline. Sounds like the pump diaphragm failed. Often, it will allow fuel into the oil pan. The OEM pump is available and a couple vendors on here sell them.

Did anyone mention the dealer emblem? Would keep that. When I bought my 73 FST it had a hard top and doors from a 72. Believe it's the hatch that has a dealer'semblem from Missouri on it. Luckily the FST bows and doors were inside.

Beautiful truck and beautiful scenery. I saw the tag on your truck. Sioux county? I spent a few days at Fort Rob this summer. Love the area. Good luck with the truck.

I seriously scored today, the last day I had at my family's ranch before I have to go back to my normal grind.

Had a gut feeling to go back to the barn where the Cruiser had been parked for so long, did some digging, and managed to find the tire carrier with the washers, castle nuts, and cotter pins tied on to it with twine. I think my grandfather must have taken it off decades ago to make it easier to fix fence and do chores. Such a great day!

PXL_20211016_011829785.jpg

I am new to the world of FJ40s. I always thought they were awesome, but I thought one would be unobtainable as popular and as rare as they are getting. Fortunately, I found out this old family owned '73 was available and I was able to purchase it from a family member. It has been in an old shed and probably hasn't run for nearly 20 years and it is rough. But I'm hoping I can nurse it back to life within the week and get it moved to another location under its own power. I have a little experience with old pickups, so I am hopeful I can get it running with my Dad's help.

I have tons of questions about this vehicle, but I have been trying to read on this forum a little before I post any up. If anyone reads through this, I'd be happy for any advice or tips with these old trucks.

My goal is for it to just get it running reliably and license it. I doubt I will take it off the family ranch much. Maybe an occasional trip to town down gravel roads. I don't have a small fortune to put into it (wish I could restore it to a pristine condition but that won't happen soon) so I'm hoping I can tinker away, tune things up, and just get it reliable. I don't even really want to lift it at this time (if ever) but a new top, door skins (or metal doors), and redone seats would be next basic things once it's running.

View attachment 2806407

View attachment 2806408

View attachment 2806409

View attachment 2806410

View attachment 2806411
You've got quite a jem, man! I have a 73 in the same color. But yours is a soft top, which is rare... I recommend you keep it that way! Good luck with it! Congrats on the find.

You've got quite a jem, man! I have a 73 in the same color. But yours is a soft top, which is rare... I recommend you keep it that way! Good luck with it! Congrats on the find.
Thank you! I absolutely want to keep it a soft top now that I'm starting to understand just what it is. And I don't want to molest it. I just want to fix it and drive it. I want it to retain it's original character as much as possible.

Thank you! I absolutely want to keep it a soft top now that I'm starting to understand just what it is. And I don't want to molest it. I just want to fix it and drive it. I want it to retain it's original character as much as possible.
God bless you for saying this. Tell me why so many guys want to cut these trucks up and throw out the original drivetrains 😉

Finally back at the ranch and working on the project! Been a long sad winter waiting. Poor old Land Cruiser has to sit on blocks waiting for a set of rollers. Also got an aftermarket fuel pump. Seemed sketchy.... But it's working and it will start, idle, and not leak! So, I changed the oil as well.

It idles a little weak. Thought maybe it was lean but it smells rich to me. If anyone has some knowledge or a link for fiddling with the Aisin carb, I'd sure appreciate it. Hard finding info on the 1F. Easy to find info on the 2F.

Also, if anyone knows how to rebuild factory fuel pumps, I'd be happy for info on that. I wouldn't be opposed to sending it to a member here and I'd pay to have it rebuilt. I opened it up, and it's just the diaphragm that is cracked out. The rest of it is in great shape. I also had to rob the brass outlet off the old one and put it into the new one. The aftermarket one wasn't large enough diameter on the inside for the hard line to fit into it.

I'll post more pictures with the MadMax mismatched tires, driving under its own power!

PXL_20220505_144502406.jpg

PXL_20220505_144536647.jpg

PXL_20220505_144559662.jpg

PXL_20220505_144646924.jpg

I hate to be "that guy" but do yourself a favor, try to find part most any place other than Spector. They are by far the most expensive place for parts. They may have some parts others don't have and that's a plus. But it's the only plus in my experience. 34 years of it in Cruisers. Just a friendly note. Please don't take it the wrong way.

Also, if anyone knows how to rebuild factory fuel pumps, I'd be happy for info on that. I wouldn't be opposed to sending it to a member here and I'd pay to have it rebuilt. I opened it up, and it's just the diaphragm that is cracked out.

Cruiser Cult has rebuild kit's for the fuel pumps. I just rebuilt one. Pretty easy job and there us a video showing how to do it.

I hate to be "that guy" but do yourself a favor, try to find part most any place other than Spector. They are by far the most expensive place for parts. They may have some parts others don't have and that's a plus. But it's the only plus in my experience. 34 years of it in Cruisers. Just a friendly note. Please don't take it the wrong way.
None taken friend. Do you mean Spector Off Road? I haven't bought anything from them yet. But I am looking really hard at their soft top and door skins. Haven't found any others except a bikini top from Bestop and I think I stumbled across a company by the name of Troll Hole? Can't remember for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom