1973 F1.5 Disassembly, assessment and possible rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

21NDone

SILVER Star
Threads
This is my recently acquired 1973 F.5 engine, thanks @fireflyr. Intent is to get a full picture of what it would take to bring the engine back to life and pass on what I know about engines and rebuilding them to my son. If it can be rebuilt, which I believe it can, I’ll likely pay it forward to someone in the Mud community if there's interest.

For those not familiar with the pedigree of this engine it spun a #1 bearing (pictures to follow once I get the oil pan off) but to do that I'll need to source an engine stand and borrow a picker.

The plan is to document the process for record keeping and hopefully answer questions people may ask or have. I’m no engine builder by far but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn recently – Kidding. I’ll take the process slow, ask a lot of questions, and likely do a ton more research. Parts seem difficult to come across so I hope I don’t need many.

Any words of motivation or suggestions are more than welcome.

This is the current state of the engine:

IMG_5610.jpeg

IMG_5611.jpeg

IMG_5612.jpeg

The late F155 with the new oiling system, often referred as the F1.5 started with the 9/73 74 model year. Those have the oil filter on the passenger side between the fuel pump and distributor. Is there a place for oil filter there. The aluminium valve cover started 1/75 and would be a 2F. The oil system changed the head and block. Would be sure you know what have before ordering any parts. Serial number is stamped into the block behind distributor opening. It will either start with a F or 2F.

Yes the oil filter is on the passengers side as stated. The engine serial number (516051) is consistent with a 4th quarter 1973 build according to the information I've seen. The head (60051) appears to be of the same vintage, still researching it though.. I''ll update the title of this thread to reflect F1.5..

The previous owner did tell me he swapped out the VC for the aluminum 2F version - Which is neat. If things don't pan out with this engine maybe I'll use it on My F engine.

All said, everything you said is on point, I need to know what I have before jumping in with both feet - Thank you!!

Glad to see it’s going to a good cause! I enjoyed spending time with you and your son. The Landcruiser community is a good one (not half as weird as the Moto Guzzi community!).
It’s definitely an F.5. Dustin (when he was in Tehachapi) gave it to me years ago.
Can’t wait to see what you guys do with it.
Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom