1971 FJ40 Restoration in Austin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brought home the 1971 FJ40 a few days ago. The FJ motor was swapped 15 years ago with a Chevy 350 (GM 3970010......69-80...2 or 4) and has estimated 500 miles on motor/there are 49k miles on vehicle. I’m not sure when the truck was painted brown but its ”chipping” with white base coat. I plan to use this vehicle so will likely touch up paint instead of complete paint job. The steering was “slipping“ on the drive from Brownwood to Austin and within 2 days the shaft completely disengaged from steering box so Steering box needs to be replaced.

Work completed:
Replaced Started
Motor: oil changed with Mobile 10W 40 (non-synthetic) & mobile filter
Original felt carpets cleaned. Looks great!
Removed Top

Work List/Advice appreciated:
Mechanical-
Air filter - suggestions
Differential fluid: needs to be changed
Steering system replaced: PS system vs. hydraulic — looking at FJ60 but open to suggestions.
Brakes: brake wheel cylinders completed. Appear to be in good shape.
Windshield wipers: does not operate. test for operation. Connector cracked when i attempted to pull disconnect it. Hopefully only re-wiring is needed.

Exterior-
Purchased Bimini Top/bracket from SOR
Pick up roll bar from seller
Purchase/Install winch - suggestions needed
Paint: the paint slightly rubs off when I washed vehicle. Any recommendations on polish technique/products.
Replace ALL gaskets: windshield, door frame(s), perimeter for installIng rooftop

Interior-
Interior Lights: The dashboard lights work but are dim. Suggestions on whether to replace vs leave as is.
Upholstery: Restore upholstery in front seat(s) and rear jump seats
Jump Seats: clean/grind and lubricate
Headliner: replace (new headliner was included (in box)

77724654-773A-4229-85B9-A4AE6643C282.jpeg

FEB9A7E7-4ADF-44A2-9B64-62F2E4AD54BE.jpeg

FC19A6A6-432D-4A22-BF46-9B1F49A2861B.jpeg

26131D66-8EE6-4792-B501-3DB19D29EB78.jpeg

Last edited:
Comments and suggestions welcome!

Last edited:
Windshield Wipers:

Wipers & motor pulled. Before pulling, the wipers were inoperable but I’m hoping it was caused by a bad connection.

I attempted to test it last night but I was only able to create a lot a “sparking.” I’ll be doing research this evening on how to do this correctly.

9DF5D537-FE69-47A5-BE75-C6E8B8D7A888.jpeg

218D84A3-3428-415F-AF35-F0FD894B6B84.jpeg

Front Windshield Gasket:

I pulled out the windshield gasket/pad and it’s in surprisingly good shape. Not perfect but salvageable & im happy to not spend $300 replacing it.

DBFA94AE-41FF-4863-B69F-9015C48192EB.jpeg

2DD7F872-0624-4A4B-B0F7-EABE259839FE.jpeg

Steering Gear Box:

Since the steering system malfunctioned I’ve received lots of feedback on solutions...Thank you guys so much!

I’m planning to grind the current box off and replace it with one that is rated to handle my vehicle. I didn’t mind the manual steering and will likely go back to one similar but I’ll likely grind the current box off & bolt the new one on.
The entire shaft is rusted to the point it likely needs to be replaced as well. My objective is to replace it with safety in mind.

The PO is going to cover cost of replacing steering box since it “snapped” a couple days after I got it home. He’s a good friend and honorable man. It’s good to know there are still people like this in the world. Thanks Brad Locker!

0DB78C4A-3388-4E0B-83CF-CC2AF8F173AD.jpeg

F405B332-D026-490F-A0AD-7CF30045D564.jpeg

0F97FB56-9326-4618-BFB3-76F70F2CAEC7.jpeg

8103B7B2-31E5-47A1-A121-4D97D429A3C8.jpeg

Jump Seats:

I spent a few hours grinding rust of the jump seats this weekend. I lubed them with silicone and these seats are opening/closing smoothly! Lots of instant gratification!

I’m comparing options between ordering the Upholstery kits (coral color) From SOR for front and rear seats vs dropping them at a local upholstery shop to re-pad/cover.

However, The upholstery on front seats is in super good shape so I might try to match the rears with front and just add padding to drivers seat.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The wheels are the real deal, original ‘Jackman’s’, not the fake American Racing wagon wheels. Keep them for that 70’s nostalgia. ‘Jackman’ went out of business many many moons ago.

Good Luck with your Cruiser Project.

The wheels are the real deal, original ‘Jackman’s’, not the fake American Racing wagon wheels. Keep them for that 70’s nostalgia. ‘Jackman’ went out of business many many moons ago.

Good Luck with your Cruiser Project.
Did you find any steering components in your stock?

Windshield Wipers:

Wipers & motor pulled. Before pulling, the wipers were inoperable but I’m hoping it was caused by a bad connection.

I attempted to test it last night but I was only able to create a lot a “sparking.” I’ll be doing research this evening on how to do this correctly.

View attachment 2435454

View attachment 2435456

after testing the wiper motor I’m released that the motor is operating. Now, I need to work on wiring from wiper switch to the motor.

Windshield Wipers:

View attachment 2435454

View attachment 2435456
After testing wiper motor I’m relieved it is operating correctly. Will pull cover(s) and re-grease, then work on connection from wiper switch to motor.

Motor test instructions: connect 12V (red) to solid blue wire running from motor, then ground blue/black wire (high speed), observe. then, connected ground to blue/white (low speed) & observe.Lots of sparks flew to get this dialed in but it worked.

Note: If motor does not operate at first,be sure your connections are solid and also be sure your power supply is charged.

Either you’re a bachelor or you have a very understanding wife, letting you put Landcruiser parts on the kitchen countertop!

Still need pictures of the steering column from inside the cab...how it hangs from the dash and passes through the firewall. :)

Windshield Wipers:

View attachment 2435454

View attachment 2435456
Either you’re a bachelor or you have a very understanding wife, letting you put Landcruiser parts on the kitchen countertop!

Still need pictures of the steering column from inside the cab...how it hangs from the dash and passes through the firewall. :)

187C2E2E-1272-4015-B130-44FEBF429900.jpeg

0885996C-6B3F-4CF7-B7A6-D5FE85A70822.jpeg

0109B225-C98C-4E66-BC49-51303F7940A4.jpeg

Front Windshield Gasket:

I pulled out the windshield gasket/pad and it’s in surprisingly good shape. Not perfect but salvageable & im happy to not spend $300 replacing it.

View attachment 2435458

View attachment 2435459
Windshield Gasket cleaned and installed with (non permanent) 3M Marine Sealant for metal/rubber.

notes: when laying down the bead be sure you cut enough of the tip off—I didn’t. The diameter was too small to where I had to squeeze the tube too hard and the backend of the tube exploded. I was able to get it coated in time but had I thought it through I couldn’t been a “cleaner” job.

FFF30E1F-AD4D-4D15-93CA-A599D6C2B2E2.jpeg

That 'patchwork' front seat upholstery is sweet - very 'period'. Nice truck and good photos and success stories here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom