Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To me, it looks like the long side on yours is against the glass. I'd really like to avoid removing my windshield. I'd need to drill out most/all of my screws to make it happen, I think.
Tear that band-aid off!

May as well. And since I'm there, I can replace my hinge pins and put on the correct side mirrors
17057173543655795592363925818515.jpg

One down, three to go

To me, it looks like the long side on yours is against the glass. I'd really like to avoid removing my windshield. I'd need to drill out most/all of my screws to make it happen, I think.
I had a heck of a time with my windshield hinges. Impacts, hand impacts, JIS bits, etc. Finally heated them up and they came out without much fuss.
Unfortunately I broke the glass on the steering wheel when the frame fell backwards after removing the last bolt. 🤦🏼‍♂️
I was removing the frame to install a less rusty one. Now I need to find a windshield and gasket. 🙁

I had a heck of a time with my windshield hinges. Impacts, hand impacts, JIS bits, etc. Finally heated them up and they came out without much fuss.
Unfortunately I broke the glass on the steering wheel when the frame fell backwards after removing the last bolt. 🤦🏼‍♂️
I was removing the frame to install a less rusty one. Now I need to find a windshield and gasket. 🙁
Cruiser corps has the windshield.

The gasket and trim lock is still available from Mr T. The part # is earlier in this thread

Just to be sure I'm on the right track here. I'm assuming the narrow portion of the gasket goes against the glass side. Note how crowded the gasket gets in the corners.

Also, narrow side of glass is oriented up?

View attachment 3537122
That crowding in the corner will work itself out when the lock goes in. I remember mine being like that; then when the lock goes in it fits like a glove.

This took way longer than it should've.

IMG_20240120_132808058.jpg

Since I've decided to go with the earlier, windshield hinge mounted side mirrors, for obvious reason, now I have to get the hinges off the cowl.

Of course, I also need to drill the old windshield hinge out to install the new ones I've had sitting on the shelf for the last month

So, got both of the cowl hinges off. What a pain. Using heat and lube, I got one more screw out, but the rest started stripping heads, so I used Mr drill and Mr punch to drill off the heads. That released the hinge plates and then it was down to getting the rest of the screw out. Shockingly, both remaining driver side screws came out with my fingers. Damn things weren't rusted in, they were seized between the hinge plate, the floating captive nut and the cowl.

Both remaining passenger side were rusted solid, and one yielded to additional heat and lube. The last one stripped out the captive nut, so I took a punch and drove it into the glove box and replaced it with an M8 nutsert.

Now to drill out the hinge axles.

IMG_20240121_205933485_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240121_205942019_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Tell you what, after a few days of off and on struggling with the new windshield, @Thechief86 came up to my house to straighten me out.

And he helped a ton.

So all I need is that trim lok tool to arrive so I can lock it on place.

So things I recommend: Take the windshield off, strip it down and put it on a flat, hopefully padded surface. I put 1/4 inch lath under the glass to keep it aligned with the windshield tin and stop it from popping off.

Then, using a fairly thin profile screwdriver or other tool, get the corners on. Then, do the 1/8 inch rope thing. Someone needs to climb on the windshield frame to keep it from shifting. If it shifts, you lose.

Toward the end, the amount of force necessary is large, but be careful not to damage the gasket, the glass, or your body.

IMG_20240124_165115120_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240124_192847127.jpg

Last edited:
Lisle trim lok tool finally showed up today and I immediately realized it is entirely superfluous. It's simply easier to push the trim lok in with my thumb and then use my special profile broken screwdriver 🪛 to get the gasket rubber over the trim lok fins, using Windex as lube.

Everything popped in place and locked as advertised.

IMG_20240125_171122939_HDR.jpg

The offending tool

IMG_20240125_181346554_HDR.jpg

Took the opportunity to improve my wiper performance by taking it apart, cleaning out old grease and applying new stuff. Funny thing, the holes in my wooden harbor freight bench are precisely located to secure the wiper assembly.

IMG_20240125_094355336_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240125_095735989_HDR.jpg

Then, put everything back together. Since both hinge pins were sheared, the windshield lower gasket has never been properly compressed, so getting the windshield seated was an iron clad b*tch.
IMG_20240125_221421125_HDR.jpg

Now I am awaiting proper mirrors, which should arrive tomorrow. It's funny how much better this rig looks without those aftermarket, cobbled side mirrors.

Lisle trim lok tool finally showed up today and I immediately realized it is entirely superfluous. It's simply easier to push the trim lok in with my thumb and then use my special profile broken screwdriver 🪛 to get the gasket rubber over the trim lok fins, using Windex as lube.

Everything popped in place and locked as advertised.

View attachment 3542180

The offending tool

View attachment 3542181
Took the opportunity to improve my wiper performance by taking it apart, cleaning out old grease and applying new stuff. Funny thing, the holes in my wooden harbor freight bench are precisely located to secure the wiper assembly.

View attachment 3542182View attachment 3542183
Then, put everything back together. Since both hinge pins were sheared, the windshield lower gasket has never been properly compressed, so getting the windshield seated was an iron clad b*tch.View attachment 3542184
Now I am awaiting proper mirrors, which should arrive tomorrow. It's funny how much better this rig looks without those aftermarket, cobbled side mirrors.
One day I’ll stop being a tightwad and order the windshield hinge mirror brackets for my truck.
Yours is coming along great!

I thought about getting the proper, door hinge mirrors for 1969 model year, and while the passenger side is available from Toyota, the driver's side is made from unicorn poop.

Since that gives me the excuse to depart from model year, I went with the earlier style windshield hinge mounted mirrors which are frankly, a better mirror for the FST, since they don't come off when the doors do.

I thought about getting the proper, door hinge mirrors for 1969 model year, and while the passenger side is available from Toyota, the driver's side is made from unicorn poop.

Since that gives me the excuse to depart from model year, I went with the earlier style windshield hinge mounted mirrors which are frankly, a better mirror for the FST, since they don't come off when the doors do.
Just an FYI, BTB prod of Reno, NV has a jig to properly bend the Lh-side door mirror (drivers side) you just have to call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom