1961 FJ25 FHT “The Warden” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scoobiedubes

SILVER Star
Threads
Got this 25 FHT picked up and back to the valley today, this thing is pretty darn cool. It’s missing some parts certainly but has some good character. Missing the original carb, bifold, some switches and stuff but mostly there. Floors are solid, main rust is in the glove box actually. This was owned by the State of Arizona for use at the Safford Jail until the late 70s, when the last owner bought it. Said it was parked in the mid-90s for some clutch issues. Surprisingly the tires held air, so it wasn't too bad getting it rolled onto the trailer with the help of a come-along.

I like naming my cruisers, so I'm naming this one "The Warden" for the history at the prison.

Still not sure what my plan is, going to try to find a bifold rear door for now and try to get it running and sorted out later in the spring once I've got the FJ28 back on track. Priorities priorities...
IMG_2861.jpeg

IMG_2863.jpeg

IMG_2891.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

Last edited:
Lots of original glass, and some not-so original! Windshield, both wing vent windows, one of the door windows, both rear windows are all original. I need to locate a rear bifold, I believe those are the same as the early 40 series ones? Hopefully once I pull that strange contraption off the back I don't see that its been hacked up back there.

IMG_2869.jpeg

IMG_2870.jpeg

IMG_2871.jpeg

IMG_2872.jpeg

Floors are pretty solid as far as I can tell so far, surpringly the absolute worst of the rust is inside the glove box where pretty much the entire bottom has fallen out. Original rear seats are back there too, the seats are in really good shape - must have been re-upholstered at some point.

IMG_2875.jpeg

IMG_2879.jpeg

IMG_2882.jpeg

IMG_2883.jpeg

IMG_2885.jpeg

Some interesting graffiti on the sides, prison vehicle number on drivers rear quarter, and a great way to make sure you don't lose your maintenance log on the windshield frame. Anybody know if these slide-bolts are original for the FHT door window "mechanism"? @tahoe40/45 or @Indygbd I think you're the only guys I know that have a FHT. What about that interior door pull handle - I recognize it from the FJ45's, not sure if that's original to this truck or not though.

IMG_2906.jpeg

IMG_2907.jpeg

IMG_2909.jpeg

IMG_2908.jpeg

What's left of the vader light, and a factory flasher! I need to find a way to repro this box enclosure at least and then maybe use the guts from a different flasher. I've been looking for one for the FJ28 since day one. Seats in pretty good shape. Mileage of 66,000 is supposedly original, I believe it since it wasn't really ever used for any kind of distance at the prison but I wish there was a way I could document it.

IMG_2876.jpeg

IMG_2882.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

Engine bay is pretty complete, looks like it's missing a horn relay, and the original big window SD40 carb (fortunately I have one for it, just missing the blue plate). Voltage regulator and masters are there. Looks like its had a rewire done on it. I need to dust off that generator to see but I don't believe that's an original Denso either. Kinda cool the adjustment sticker is still on there.

IMG_2892.jpeg

IMG_2898.jpeg

IMG_2900.jpeg

IMG_2901.jpeg

IMG_2902.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool Nathan,horn relay is on the pass firewall.
Thanks Brian! The one that’s in there is a Delco marked “made in the USA” so I’m assuming was replaced at some point. What’s the original look like? I don’t think I I have one for the 28 either now that I think about it. Here’s a better look at it.

1610113639585.png

Last edited:
Tell us you are going to get it running and drive it. It has character

I think that heater is original or dealer add on. I had one in a 62 I just had, looks like the same one you have. Congrats on the truck

FD24A119-F400-45C6-8D4C-3A42DDA8ECAE.jpeg

I think that heater is original or dealer add on. I had one in a 62 I just had, looks like the same one you have. Congrats on the truck

View attachment 2547304
That’s awesome, I haven’t seen this one before. I’ll have to do some research on “Arvin heaters”

Such a cool rig. Does this have the triangle-shaped tool box? Can’t tell what’s up with the lid under the seat, looks either wrong one or cockeyed. I think the v. early horn relays had metal covers, then they went to plastic maybe early 60’s then ...? The clips that hold the covers on also changed in all this. 😆 not much help again.

Such a cool rig. Does this have the triangle-shaped tool box? Can’t tell what’s up with the lid under the seat, looks either wrong one or cockeyed. I think the v. early horn relays had metal covers, then they went to plastic maybe early 60’s then ...? The clips that hold the covers on also changed in all this. 😆 not much help again.
It’s got the triangular box, I’ll need to check out that lid though I see what you’re saying now, maybe it’s just off/loose. I lifted it up to look inside for gold and precious gems but actually didn’t pay attention to the lid I was holding. It’s at a friends house right now, I’ll have to go take a closer look at it next week.

looks like city racer has the repro horn relays, but will keep an eye out for some originals.

Some interesting graffiti on the sides, prison vehicle number on drivers rear quarter, and a great way to make sure you don't lose your maintenance log on the windshield frame. Anybody know if these slide-bolts are original for the FHT door window "mechanism"? @tahoe40/45 or @Indygbd I think you're the only guys I know that have a FHT. What about that interior door pull handle - I recognize it from the FJ45's, not sure if that's original to this truck or not though.

View attachment 2547171

View attachment 2547172

View attachment 2547177

View attachment 2547178
Slide bolts are hardware store add on. Here is a picture of door parts, turn signal flasher and horn relay, and generator. Generator on The Warden looks AC Delcoish. I still need to dig around to see if i still have that bi-fold door. I also should have a glove box floor/pan/bottom.
IMG_7773.jpeg

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG

Last edited:
Door pull are original, they are exactly like 63 to 74 FJ40 door pulls. I have never put them side by side but the early door pulls from these doors maybe look a little beefier than the FJ40 ones.

Last edited:
Time to spend some time studying some photos from LCHM again today. I love that they've got all this stuff on their website now. Especially curious about that window hardware. Looks like its supposed to have some kind of mechanism that holds it up from the inside. The warden's are certainly missing, and I'm sure I won't find these pieces either but if anybody knows some that could be loaned out to reproduce let me know. Might be something I just leave be though, its wonky but it works.
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 9.51.36 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom