13BT oil seep, look, does it matter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
Some time back it washed everything down to look for oil escaping. I have it in the intake system and I imagine some is normal but is this an issue? If so what is the course of treatment?
IMGP2898.JPG
IMGP2899.JPG

Doesn't look out of the ordinary, options to consider would be to fit catch can, and refit & tighten or replace the those intake pipe rubbers, clean out the pressure ventilation pipe, ( tec name escapes me) .
As you have seep on the outside of pipe where it enters on the air take pre turbo, to me that suggest a blockage, or fitting is loose and not snug, or a reverse pressure at that point.

What is a "Provent 200"? I must learn.

Hi Dan,

I also bought a Mann-Hummel ProVent 200 to install on my 70. One of those things I haven't got around to, but I will eventually. They seem to run between $110 - $130 here in the US.

Here are some specs on the unit (ProVent 200 are pages 8 and 9):

https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/user_upload/service/catalogues/pdf/ProVent_en_2013.pdf

And some links I've saved a source of ideas for when I get around to install mine:

A catch can thread on a BJ74 https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/oil-catch-can-installed.300739/

A ProVent 200 thread on a HDJ81 https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-provent-200-installation.589746/

Hope this helps!

-Alberto

I would check the tabs under the rocker cover to see if they have been bent up to slow the mist flow from entering the rocker-box breather before investing in a catch can.

I would check the tabs under the rocker cover to see if they have been bent up to slow the mist flow from entering the rocker-box breather before investing in a catch can.

I am not familiar with that. I presume it is a field-modification to the baffle?

Get a better clamp on the hose so it cant leak

The hose is a bit stiff and better sealing is a challenge. I am investigating a replacement. The part number is 12261-58020 and it is not live in this neck of the woods.

It does not use oil to speak of. It likes to leak however.

Kinda like a Harley....:lol:

"Show me a Harley Davidson that doesn't leak and I'll show you one that's out of oil."

The hose is a bit stiff and better sealing is a challenge.

An appropriate type of sealant and a stronger type of clamp would fix it. Any 20-30 year old diesel will have some seepage. Seems to happen to mine with rpms at the high end of the scale.
The amount of oil that passes through there is miniscule on a good engine.

No I have not. I don't drive it often so the project is on the back burner.

If you decide to go the route of fitting a catch can, also consider the Flashlube Pro model ...

2c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom