12HT vs 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I may be a *little bit* of a hoarder….
F6F2D276-DF8A-4AAC-AAC7-5042F02BB159.gif

@marshcat I have a 13BT which is the same as a 12HT minus 2 cylinders. The 4cyl little brother turbo diesel.

Everything I’ve read and heard about the 12HT mirrors the 13BT. Narrow torque band, raunchy, torquey , twitchy throttle but oh so fun to drive.

Parts are available, but some major pieces are NLA (block/head/cam/crank) but used are around. As @bottombracket said, horde as much as you can but there are some great vendors on here that have access to a lot of parts.

Driving them is so much fun. The 12ht sounds amazing. Driving these Toyota turbo diesels are a blast. It has been the most enjoyable Land Cruiser engine I’ve driven.

The French rig I was looking at unfortunately failed my pre-purchase inspection. Combo of rust, mechanicals, and cosmetics added up to a no-go.

The French rig I was looking at unfortunately failed my pre-purchase inspection. Combo of rust, mechanicals, and cosmetics added up to a no-go.
Good job not getting attached before you have it in hand. You probably just saved yourself like $30k...ask me how i know

Good job not getting attached before you have it in hand. You probably just saved yourself like $30k...ask me how i know
My importer provided 390 photos, 5 videos, and a full written report. Awesome guy. I'm going to keep working with him to find a better one. Ideally one with air conditioning too

My importer provided 390 photos, 5 videos, and a full written report. Awesome guy. I'm going to keep working with him to find a better one. Ideally one with air conditioning too
AC is clutch. And that sounds great, I wish mine had been that diligent

The location looks interesting. Also dry, and of course that's a good thing. Hopefully the fenders aren't rusty under those flares. Both the front and rears are subject to corrosion in those areas, especially the rear.

The location looks interesting. Also dry, and of course that's a good thing. Hopefully the fenders aren't rusty under those flares. Both the front and rears are subject to corrosion in those areas, especially the rear.

Will definitely be looking for those things. This HJ61 is located in Spain. Asking price is a touch high at $20k but you gotta pay to play. Love the combo of blue color, round headlights, and left hand drive 12HT with H55

That asking price is a steal if everything checks out.

That asking price is a steal if everything checks out.
Seriously, if it's rust free $20k is an absolute steal even if you have a couple mechanical issues to sort. Those will just help you get to know your cruiser anyways!

Inspection came back clean! It's a one owner, garaged rig with full documentation. Has AC and front/rear factory cable lockers!!

View attachment 3293260
This is going to be an incredible truck. Very nice find. Will be curious what your landed cost is once it hits your driveway.

It's funny, in the 2F vs. 12HT debate...Nobody has mentioned the 2F since the first comment! :)

This is going to be an incredible truck. Very nice find. Will be curious what your landed cost is once it hits your driveway.

Just received an invoice.

Costs are as follows:

'87 HJ61 - 17.5k euros or $19,000
Import fees and duties $1,122
Export fees $523
Shipping (minor island -> major island, major island -> barcelona, barcelona -> new york) - $2,975
Buyer's agent fee - $620

So around $24k to my door

I'm also going to have some minor paintwork and a dealer mechanical service completed in Spain before the 60 gets on the boat. Labor costs are much lower there and parts availability for the 12HT is a non-issue.

Just received an invoice.

Costs are as follows:

'87 HJ61 - 17.5k euros or $19,000
Import fees and duties $1,122
Export fees $523
Shipping (minor island -> major island, major island -> barcelona, barcelona -> new york) - $2,975
Buyer's agent fee - $620

So around $24k to my door

I'm also going to have some minor paintwork and a dealer mechanical service completed in Spain before the 60 gets on the boat. Labor costs are much lower there and parts availability for the 12HT is a non-issue.
That is a great value for what you're getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom