11mpg after tune up, Really? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have replaced my O2 sensors, sparkplugs, Wires, Distributor rotor/Cap, and air filter. The only thing I didnt replace was the fuel filter, and I'm still only getting 11mpg which is no change from what I was getting. Is there anything else I can do? I know the FZJ80 will never get great mileage, but 14-15mpg would be nice. Oh and I drive like a grandma so changing my habits wont help either.

Thanks
Matt
1996 stock FZJ80

Something does not sound right for a stock rig.
I have also found that with my rig that if I let it warm up good before I drive it my MPG is a little better than if I just get in it a drive or maybe I am disillusioned.
I get between 9-14 depending on how and where I am driving average about 11 or so in reality
I also have 5 inches of lift and 35's.
I would dig into it a little more.
Maybe a new F filter, what tire pressure are you running?
How is your timing?

Is this pure stop and good around town driving? Pure highway? What percentage of each?

Mark...

Not really sure what my timing is at or how to check it. My wife drives the 80 most of the time so I'll ask her about Hwy\street driving

Is this pure stop and good around town driving? Pure highway? What percentage of each?

Mark...

If your wife is just doing alot of running around town errands and such not alot of highway driving then I would say that your mpg is not that off.
On the highway 80's do ok, but around town the mpg really drops off alot is what I have found especially if the truck is not getting up to operating temp.
I have found that these engines run their best when they are at full operating temps. when they are not they really suck the fuel.
If I am just running around town my mpg are maybe 9-10 mpg at best, I use the wifes car for that.

Other things to check would be:
Timing
Proper valve adjustment
Proper tire pressure
Correct weight oil... Synthetic in Diffs, transfer case, and engine may net slight gain.
Proper adjustment of throttle and kickdown cable. Make sure the trans. is shifting at the proper time.

Agree, around town driving isn't the landcruisers favorite gas sipping environment.

Cold weather and winter blend gas are hurting your MPG too. Can't do anything about that, except move to the tropics. :)

With crappy winter gas and new OEM 02 sensors, I still get 10-11 mpg in purely stop-and-go city traffic, no highway driving. Runs well so it is what it is. I have considered retiring it to the garage and buying a better daily commuter, however. My brother's 2010 Tundra gets about the same in town and he paid $30,000 MORE than what I paid for the Cruiser two years ago. Now that would be hard to take!

I just got my 80 and have been driving it this week and am getting 11MPG in the city as well. I'm only driving it to work because it is new and shiny to me. Next week I go back to my commuter rig that gets better than double that MPG.

mpg

Hwy driving the scangauge says around 15mpg that is with 315's and stock gearing. Running back and forth to work which is more stop and go is around 11 to 12. But, if your :princess: drives like my:princess:(wot-brake hard,wot-brake hard) then that could explain the lower mpg. Everything my :princess: drives gets worse mpg than when I drive it, go figure!!

If it's short trips around town, 11 mpg sounds about right, even decent. Winter hurts mpg hard, though. My last tank, all in town and in cold temps was about 9 mpg, so 11 mpg actually sounds good to me.

I hit 16.75 mpg with one tank on a long trip before adding more weight and 33" tires, but on the road, 13-15 mpg is typical when lightly loaded.

If you've covered all the usual things, then be sure your tires have enough psi in them to help. Depending on what tires you're running, that may make the ride a little harsh for the :princess: but it will help mpg.

We have three 80's, two of them have their check engine lights on due to 02 sensors/cats, the third has been "tuned up" and has no check engine light on. The one that has been tuned up get about 15 mpg with all highway driving, the other two get over 18 mpg on the same drive.

My crackpot theory is this; with the check engine light on due to an emissions related problem, the ecu is leaning the fuel mix to try to correct the problem. The one that is running without emissions issues is running full gas and getting its published fuel economy. Is that theory crazy?

THat could be the case, but you are also down on power when the ECU is in that mode.

Is there anything else I can do?

Get a beater Honda Civic for your daily driving needs and save the Land Yacht for the fun stuff.

Seriously, if your engine isn't throwing codes, there isn't anything to "tune" and it is running as good as it can. 11MPG is not an unusual number.

IIRC, when these were brand new, they were rated at 11 or 12mpg city, so your mpg would be normal around town. I get 10/11 around town and up to 15 on the highway.

I get 13 on average but you said you couldn't change your habits but your wife drives it most often. Change her habits :D

Get a beater Honda Civic for your daily driving needs and save the Land Yacht for the fun stuff.

Seriously, if your engine isn't throwing codes, there isn't anything to "tune" and it is running as good as it can. 11MPG is not an unusual number.

x2.:) It's hard not to drive the Cruiser though but since gas is $3.55/gal here it makes more sense to drive my Integra.

Isn't it funny how when all our :princess:'s drive our 80's, the MPG goes down!

Well I looked at the GPS yesterday and apparently she had it up to 84MPH!

That explains the extremely low gas milage this tank. I usually dont go over 65 as it really sucks down the gas over that speed.

FWIW, I have found the best MPG Hwy at 62MPH

Isn't it funny how when all our :princess:'s drive our 80's, the MPG goes down!

Well I looked at the GPS yesterday and apparently she had it up to 84MPH!

That explains the extremely low gas milage this tank. I usually dont go over 65 as it really sucks down the gas over that speed.

FWIW, I have found the best MPG Hwy at 62MPH

I have that same problem. Every time I drive the 80 for extended periods of time, I get 13-15mpg. Everytime my wife drives it, she gets 9-10mpg. I GPS'd her as well and saw an AVERAGE speed of 69mph with a top speed of 83 mph. GRRRRR. Not to mention we have an autostart on it, and she'll let it "warm up" for 15-30 minutes. It kills me.:mad:

TK

I always lose a couple mpg during the winter months. I've always figured it was due to winter formulation gasoline.

11 - 12 mpg is what I get too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom