100 Series Full Bull bar comparison. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any reviews on the Ironman? I'm particularly interested if the branding is removable, or if anyone has a preferred no-cut, similar looking model.

Any reviews on the Ironman? I'm particularly interested if the branding is removable, or if anyone has a preferred no-cut, similar looking model.
I have the Ironman. It was installed by previous owner in the past 2 years, I like it, would get it again. The branding is a sticker so you can take it off.

Can others please comment on how far out some of the other bumpers stick out or “nose”.
There is no way the T13 weighs 239 lbs. I'm going to assume it's a typo and that you meant 139 lbs (which would be my guess/what if felt like when I mounted mine). If not a typo that is probably the shipping weight with the box, on a pallet.

It is a no cut bar and the fogs and turn signals are decent quality.

I like the T13 because it has a separate winch cradle (like versions of the ARB for earlier 100s) and has more reinforcement around the headlights (unlike the ironman). It also only sticks out 6 and a bit inches whereas the ARB is 9 1/2 inches of nose.

The plus for the ironman is that it is frequently on sale for under $1,000 shipping included.

What is needed to ensure a front bumper is airbag compliant, as far as design goes? My son just started his welding and fabrication program at Greenville Tech, and the goal in a couple years is for him to start a side business making off-road protection for vehicles. He’ll probably lay it all out in CAD, but obviously the first of everything will be completely custom. Taking inspiration from the Dirt Lifestyle channel on YouTube: https://youtube.com/c/DirtLifestyle

What is needed to ensure a front bumper is airbag compliant, as far as design goes? My son just started his welding and fabrication program at Greenville Tech, and the goal in a couple years is for him to start a side business making off-road protection for vehicles. He’ll probably lay it all out in CAD, but obviously the first of everything will be completely custom. Taking inspiration from the Dirt Lifestyle channel on YouTube: https://youtube.com/c/DirtLifestyle
I am sure it involves some expensive testing, but the bumpers have a “crush section” not sure the technical term but they have a boxed section with weakened areas in it that would collapse on a certain level of impact. It’s why they don’t have D rings or pull points on the front of the bumpers

Dissent aluminum modular front bumper is by far the lightest at approx 55 Lbs (w/o a winch). The left and right wing, the center piece is made out of aluminum. The two center brackets that fastens to the chassis is made from steel. However just like any other aftermarket bullbars, all of them are not aerodynamic.
Crash-wise, Dissent posted a photo before with a 100 involving a front impact accident with a sedan. The aluminum front bumper was distorted (as expected) but it held up well (the wings and center piece did not separate. I went with dissent because of this.
For me at one point a front bull bar should also be able to crumple and absorb that energy from the impact and lessen whiplash and eventually lower the risk of bodily harm.

dissent front bumper is discounted to $999 before powdercoat and bull bar for this weekend

May not be relevant as this is a Gen-1 Dissent bumper. But, it has minimal "nose". A few years ago, someone asked for the measurements of the various bumpers - from the grille to the front plate. That may be worth hunting for.

PdHvpb0.png

Edit: That was easier to find than anticipated. Lots of good bumper / deer strike info in this thread. Also, those measurements - page 6; Why did you choose your front bumper? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/why-did-you-choose-your-front-bumper.1231039/page-6

Last edited:
This is for Australia... Bull Bar Validation | APV-T | APV Test Centre - https://www.apvtestcentre.com/bull-bar-validation.html

>>>>>>>>>​

Sled test method​

In all FVPS testing, the sled is equipped simulate the real vehicle mass, the original chassis structure and stiffness profile. The APV FPVS Airbag Compatibility test uses sled mounted accelerometer data to evaluate and compare the FVPS 'Crash Pulse' (Deceleration/Time) and Delta V curves with the vehicle's original equipment bumper bar at the 'airbag fire/no fire' threshold velocity of 16km/h.

APV also offers FPVS rigid barrier sled testing at the ADR69 specified velocity of 48 km/h intended to support product development and the design verification process. All bull bar sled testing offers high-speed video services to further evaluate the impact characteristics.

Full Vehicle Test Method

A full vehicle crash test demonstrates that the alterations to the vehicle structure have not affected the original compliance of the vehicle.
Using our accredited full vehicle crash test facility, bull bar manufacturers can test to:
  • Airbag compatibility, where airbags 'must fire' at a threshold velocity of around 16km/h
  • Original vehicle ADR 69 full frontal Compliance at 48km/h
Manufacturers can also test to different load cases such as low speed airbag 'must not fire' velocity, ADR 73 offset frontal 56km/h an additional ADR compliance test for class M vehicles only and ANCAP 64km/h offset frontal consumer test.

@hoser has answered the question about Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) compliance a.k.a. airbag compliance and how this is handled for bumpers/bullbars such as made by ARB, TJM, IronMan, ECB, etc which are designed to comply with Australian Design Rules (ADR) -- and maybe for similar compliance rules in other jurisdictions elsewhere, if required. There are a multitude of other design rules for compliant bullbars or similar bars – mainly about shape, positioning on the vehicle and pedestrian protection -- but they can be left for another day.

To further illustrate the main point, a compliant bar and its attachments to the vehicle must be designed in such a way that in specified test crash conditions the vehicle must decelerate (crush) in a manner which complies with the test specifications.

In essence, this means decelerate in a crash in a similar way to the stock vehicle so that the airbags deploy in a similar way to the stock vehicle – meaning that the airbags must not fire too early, nor too late -- either would be injurious to occupants.

If the bar was not designed to suit the vehicle, then the whole SRS (airbag) activation system fitted within the vehicle at the factory (not just the bar) would have to be redesigned to comply with the required engineering parameters and be re-approved. This is way beyond the scope of aftermarket equipment manufacturers and suppliers and also would require Original Vehicle Manufacturer approval as well. This also means that the SRS (airbag) system on an airbag-fitted vehicle will not operate correctly with bars and fitting systems which are not certified as ‘SRS (airbag)-compliant’.

The following Factory Service Manual references may be helpful in relation to the SRS (airbag) systems on stock 100 series vehicles.:

LC100 Workshop Manual - https://lc100e.github.io/ -- go to drop-down items in Index panel at LHS of opening page
+ Repair Manual
+ SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM
and also:
+ DIAGNOSTICS
+ SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM

So, aftermarket bar manufacturers have had to come up with their own solutions to be SRS (airbag) compliant – the bar has to suit the vehicle, and the bar manufacturer must ensure that the performance of the OEM factory-installed SRS (airbag) system with the bar in place is in effect no worse than a stock vehicle.

In the case of ARB Deluxe Bullbar for the 2002-2007 100 series (ARB Model Number 3413190) -- pictures at
Bull Bars - https://www.arb.com.au/toyota-landcruiser-100-105-series-2002-2007/bull-bars/ --
the design includes the so-called ‘crash cans’ as part of the bar attachment arrangements – see pic below. These have been designed by engineers to include a ‘concertina’ element which has been tested and certified to provide a more progressive crush rate to meet the prescribed deceleration requirements in test conditions, and which in turn means allowing the factory-installed airbags to fire correctly.

LC100 Bullbar SRS mounting.jpg

The yellow recovery points shown (RoadSafe, not ARB) must be bolted through the bullbar attachment directly to the chassis, not hung on the bullbar.

The SRS system and devices like the ‘crash cans’ are all about correct operation of the airbags. They have very little to do with protection of the vehicle. The bullbar itself IS protective – but realistically, the most that can be hoped from a bullbar in a collision with an immoveable object even at moderate speeds (64 kilometres per hour = 40 miles per hour), is that occupants receive only moderate injuries. The vehicle is unlikely to be drivable and probably not worth repairing.

For all of that, I always have had a steel bullbar despite the weight penalty on the LC100 and now on the LC200. I will try to avoid collisions with large concrete test blocks and test battering rams and also avoid immovable rocks and huge trees but I still favour steel bullbars for at least some protection against large ferals and wandering livestock. I know that an animal strike at 120 kilometres per hour = 75 miles per hour with a half to one tonne steer will not be good, but lesser animals and objects and lesser speeds should (hopefully!) at least leave the vehicle (and its occupants) much better able to limp to the next town. Maybe aluminium bars are OK but they just don’t give me the same confidence.

LC100-LC200.jpg

The following items may be of interest:

Crash Test Report – 100 series
Toyota Landcruiser (Oct 2002 – Mar 2007) Crash Test Results | ANCAP - https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/toyota/landcruiser/282dac

Good visuals of airbag initiation and occupant effects at moderate speeds – no bullbar, LC300

Encounter with a large steer (went over the cab into the tray -- not LC100):
SUV Pickup and large steer (2).jpg

Aluminium bar encounters a large tree -- not LC100:
Alloy Tuff Bar and Tree at 80kph 50mph.jpg

Last edited:
My Fyrlyts were "recovered" from my '07 UZJ100, and repurposed on the LX470.

Bar is ECB polished alloy, all lights (including fog lights) are LED. 'Leccy is coming on Friday to wire in a change-over relay to make the fogs DRLs.

5G Phone aerial is RFI, UHF aerial on "Z" bracket is Uniden.

PXL_20221107_065752467.NIGHT.jpg

Last edited:
These are the Air on Board points - made in Australia. Might be worth asking if they'll ship to the US.

s-l1600.jpg

Any options out there without a winch box?

It's a great bumper. The LED fog lights are better than OE high beams. It's literally a night and day difference in lighting. Heck, the side marker lights in the bumper put out almost as much light as the factory projectors.

The green man is removable, though there is a recessed shadow that the 3D sticker fits in that will remain. I kinda like the little guy though. It's a outdated logo to be sure, but the retro look meshes well with my Gold Package and 80s Pop playlist. Tacky yet unrefined FTW.

1668553016847.png

1668553210385.png

Last edited:
IMO, I don't think airbag certified means much when it comes to steel bumpers. I would, however, be interested in seeing bumpers that failed this test.

The composition of the bumper is irrelevant as long as the timing and force imposed upon the occupants complies with OEM standards. If they can achieve OEM performance with crumple zones and fuse points in the shell then it should pass.

That said, I would be interested to know if the Aus testing is simply that the bag deploys or if they measure force and intrusion on the occupants as do the OEMs. My guess is the former, but I'd really like to see the data. This wasn't as important to me in the past, but with having a young driver in the 100 in a few years it's much more so now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom