100 Series Full Bull bar comparison. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I've been doing a lot of research on full bull bars for my "99 and wanted to put all the info in one place for those shopping around. My main concern is with animal strikes as I live in an area of CA with a LOT of deer and black bears. I commute to work 25 miles and there are carcasses all over the place. The main points I wanted to address were weight and airbag certification. Here's the list, please feel free to add any info that I may have missed. All of these examples are steel, come powder coated black and have winch cradles. Thanks!

ARB Bull Bar:
~165lbs.
Requires Trimming
Airbag certified
Twin high lift points
Includes fog lights and turn signals
~$1400-1500

Victory 4x4:
~140lbs
No trimming required
Not airbag certified
3/4" recovery tabs
No lights included
~$1799

Ironman Bull Bar:
"Adds an additional 107lbs"
No Trimming required
Airbag certified
High Lifts points
~$1300

TJM Bull Bar:
~182lbs
No trimming required
High Lift Points
Airbag certified
~$1340

Dissent Low Profile Modular Bull bar:
~110lbs
Trimming required
Modular, so if you biff one section you can replace it instead of whole bumper
No Lights included
Not airbag certified but has crumple zones
Integrated recovery points
~$1725

Dobinsons Bull Bar:
Can't find weight but probably~165lbs
No trimming required
Bars are removable
Airbag certified
High Lift Points
~$1430

Last edited:
I believe the Dissent comes with integrated recovery points on the bumper and it can be manufactured in both steel or aluminum.

Thanks squid I'll update the OP. And yes the Dissent and Victory 4x4 both have aluminum options. I left those out as I'm shopping for steel for more strength.

I also think there was a post not too long ago about someone that had issues with a Victory 4x4 bumper. Not sure what happened with that.

1629242867932.png
I am waiting for the announcement that these worked out. I think the bumper is available but the bar work was custom for customer.

TJM Bull Bar:
~239lbs
No trimming required
High Lift Points
Airbag certified
~$1340
There is no way the T13 weighs 239 lbs. I'm going to assume it's a typo and that you meant 139 lbs (which would be my guess/what if felt like when I mounted mine). If not a typo that is probably the shipping weight with the box, on a pallet.

It is a no cut bar and the fogs and turn signals are decent quality.

I like the T13 because it has a separate winch cradle (like versions of the ARB for earlier 100s) and has more reinforcement around the headlights (unlike the ironman). It also only sticks out 6 and a bit inches whereas the ARB is 9 1/2 inches of nose.

The plus for the ironman is that it is frequently on sale for under $1,000 shipping included.

I just took delivery of an ARB, and I can say with confidence that it's 150lbs, tops. I have no idea where people get the 200+ idea, unless it comes from shipping weight. It's definitely lighter than the Ironman, considering the winch cradle (which the ARB does not have) weighs probably 30 pounds in itself.

I can attest to ARB's durability, I hit a couple deer in my Nissan equipped with an ARB, and I didn't even get a scratch. I think you can't go wrong with ARB, TJM, or Ironman. I like the fit and finish of the ARB and TJM the best. No experience with Dobinsons, but they're just rebranded MCC, which are decent, probably on par with Ironman. Personally, I don't love the other designs aesthetically, and you don't get airbag compliance, as that was part of your decision. If you take that out of the equation, Dissent comes into play pretty strongly.

Honestly it's all about aesthetics at that point. Depends on what you like. I'm going for a lighter build, but decided to make the weight sacrifice on the front bumper for the protection. I also like the ARB's expedition looks, so I went that route. I also dislike the "custom" look and prefer the more "factory plus" look of ARB, TJM, and others. Otherwise I almost certainly would have gone Dissent.

I just took delivery of an ARB, and I can say with confidence that it's 150lbs, tops. I have no idea where people get the 200+ idea, unless it comes from shipping weight. It's definitely lighter than the Ironman, considering the winch cradle (which the ARB does not have) weighs probably 30 pounds in itself.

I can attest to ARB's durability, I hit a couple deer in my Nissan equipped with an ARB, and I didn't even get a scratch. I think you can't go wrong with ARB, TJM, or Ironman. I like the fit and finish of the ARB and TJM the best. No experience with Dobinsons, but they're just rebranded MCC, which are decent, probably on par with Ironman. Personally, I don't love the other designs aesthetically, and you don't get airbag compliance, as that was part of your decision. If you take that out of the equation, Dissent comes into play pretty strongly.

Honestly it's all about aesthetics at that point. Depends on what you like. I'm going for a lighter build, but decided to make the weight sacrifice on the front bumper for the protection. I also like the ARB's expedition looks, so I went that route. I also dislike the "custom" look and prefer the more "factory plus" look of ARB, TJM, and others. Otherwise I almost certainly would have gone Dissent.
I would agree with this. I mounted my ARB by myself without too much struggle. You might be looking at 150lbs for the bumper itself plus another 20-25lbs for the mounting brackets, but I'd be very surprised if it was really 200lbs all together.

There is no way the T13 weighs 239 lbs. I'm going to assume it's a typo and that you meant 139 lbs (which would be my guess/what if felt like when I mounted mine). If not a typo that is probably the shipping weight with the box, on a pallet.

It is a no cut bar and the fogs and turn signals are decent quality.

I like the T13 because it has a separate winch cradle (like versions of the ARB for earlier 100s) and has more reinforcement around the headlights (unlike the ironman). It also only sticks out 6 and a bit inches whereas the ARB is 9 1/2 inches of nose.

The plus for the ironman is that it is frequently on sale for under $1,000 shipping included.
Looks like you're right. On SLEE's website it says "Weight 239lbs" and then below it says "item weight 182lbs", I'll update the OP. I like the added bar below the headlights as well. Thanks!

I think you're right, the website must be including the shipping weight. A little more digging has shown people stating it weighs around the 165lb range. I agree with you on liking the more factory look of the arb. I'm actually leaning more towards the Dobinson's. I like the look and the fact that you can remove the bars if you need to do any headlight work. I'll update the OP. Thanks!

I think you're right, the website must be including the shipping weight. A little more digging has shown people stating it weighs around the 165lb range. I agree with you on liking the more factory look of the arb. I'm actually leaning more towards the Dobinson's. I like the look and the fact that you can remove the bars if you need to do any headlight work. I'll update the OP. Thanks!

I believe their "Classic" bullbar is fully welded like the ARB. The stainless hoop version should be removable like the ARB Sahara bar, but likely isn't as robust as the standard full steel bar versions. You get more protection with the Dobinsons "Classic" or the ARB Deluxe.

Don't forget BIO which IMO has the best animal strike coverage based on the size of the hoops. Mike makes amazing products, I've seen a few bumpers in person around town as he is 30 minutes from where I live. I grabbed this pic from another thread on here, credit to whoevers vehicle it is.

Mike will do custom adjustments as well. You just have to ask for a quote.

$1200 powder coated plus shipping.

Compared to my TJM, BIOs powder coating is 5x better.

1629309578697.png

IMO, I don't think airbag certified means much when it comes to steel bumpers. I would, however, be interested in seeing bumpers that failed this test.

IMO, I don't think airbag certified means much when it comes to steel bumpers. I would, however, be interested in seeing bumpers that failed this test.
You're probably right. I mean even the aluminum Dissent bumper is a lot better than stock. The weight savings alone almost make it worth it...

Hey All,

I've been doing a lot of research on full bull bars for my "99 and wanted to put all the info in one place for those shopping around. My main concern is with animal strikes as I live in an area of CA with a LOT of deer and black bears. I commute to work 25 miles and there are carcasses all over the place. The main points I wanted to address were weight and airbag certification. Here's the list, please feel free to add any info that I may have missed. All of these examples are steel, come powder coated black and have winch cradles. Thanks!

ARB Bull Bar:
~165lbs.
Requires Trimming
Airbag certified
Twin high lift points
~$1400-1500

Victory 4x4:
~140lbs
No trimming required
Not airbag certified
3/4" recovery tabs
No lights included
~$1799

Ironman Bull Bar:
"Adds an additional 107lbs"
No Trimming required
Airbag certified
High Lifts points
~$1300

TJM Bull Bar:
~182lbs
No trimming required
High Lift Points
Airbag certified
~$1340

Dissent Low Profile Modular Bull bar:
~110lbs
Trimming required
Modular, so if you biff one section you can replace it instead of whole bumper
No Lights included
Not airbag certified but has crumple zones
Integrated recovery points
~$1725

Dobinsons Bull Bar:
Can't find weight but probably~165lbs
No trimming required
Bars are removable
Airbag certified
High Lift Points
~$1430

Thanks for this info.

Like you....we have a lot of Deer in our area. My wife has a daily commute of about 20 miles (one way) and frequently returns home late in the evening (if not after dark in the winter months). There are a lot animal strikes each year along her route.

I have too much invested in her vehicle at this point to lose it to a 'totaled' declaration by the insurance company if she were to hit a deer. So...I am seriously considering a Bull Bar of some sort.

I only wish there were more pictures available for the different types mounted on an LX470. Protection is the key objective, but aesthetics are important to me also. Looking at Ironman right now.

I'd caution the idea that steel is stronger than aluminum in this or any other application.

Mild steel like A36 has a yield strength of about 36 ksi, while Al 6061-T6 has a yield strength of about 35-40 ksi and only 34% the density of A36 steel (this means a part made out of aluminum would weigh 34% that of an A36 steel part of the same strength). Al 7075-T6 has a yield strength of 73 ksi and 36% the density of A36, making it even stronger.

Source Aluminum & Mild Steel Load Question *NEW Member* - https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/aluminum-mild-steel-load-question-new-member.400543/

Additionally, most aluminum bumpers are made of thicker sheet material and with additional gussets underneath. It's akin to thinking old steel classic cars are stronger than modern aluminum cars. Steel, in reality, is quite poor from a strength to weight ratio perspective. It's cheap and easy to weld/bend, but not necessarily a high performing material.

IMO, If you have the money, buy aluminum (says the guy with full aluminum armor from Dissent).

Thanks for this info.

Like you....we have a lot of Deer in our area. My wife has a daily commute of about 20 miles (one way) and frequently returns home late in the evening (if not after dark in the winter months). There are a lot animal strikes each year along her route.

I have too much invested in her vehicle at this point to lose it to a 'totaled' declaration by the insurance company if she were to hit a deer. So...I am seriously considering a Bull Bar of some sort.

I only wish there were more pictures available for the different types mounted on an LX470. Protection is the key objective, but aesthetics are important to me also. Looking at Ironman right now.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm shopping rear bumpers as well for when I back into one 😆

I'd caution the idea that steel is stronger than aluminum in this or any other application.

Mild steel like A36 has a yield strength of about 36 ksi, while Al 6061-T6 has a yield strength of about 35-40 ksi and only 34% the density of A36 steel (this means a part made out of aluminum would weigh 34% that of an A36 steel part of the same strength). Al 7075-T6 has a yield strength of 73 ksi and 36% the density of A36, making it even stronger.

Source Aluminum & Mild Steel Load Question *NEW Member* - https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/aluminum-mild-steel-load-question-new-member.400543/

Additionally, most aluminum bumpers are made of thicker sheet material and with additional gussets underneath. It's akin to thinking old steel classic cars are stronger than modern aluminum cars. Steel, in reality, is quite poor from a strength to weight ratio perspective. It's cheap and easy to weld/bend, but not necessarily a high performing material.

IMO, If you have the money, buy aluminum (says the guy with full aluminum armor from Dissent).
Thanks for the info yota! I am seriously considering Dissent's aluminum bumper. Anything is better than the stock bumper at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom