100 Series AC Refrigerant Discharge Hose replacement (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Evening All,

AC stopped blowing cold and got a leak test done and the mechanic told me it's this part -
A/C Refrigerant Discharge Hose
Part Number: 8078-05457394

He quoted me 450 to fix and I can find it online for 29 bucks. Only issue is I have NO idea how to work on AC systems. I can't find any resources on youtube specific to the 100 series either. Any chance you guys can point me in the right direction? Thanks very much in advance!

If your AC system is still full, then you need to recover the gas. If the system is empty, then disconnect both ends of the discharge line by undoing the two 10 m bolts. Get new O-rings (hope the new hose comes with the O-rings). Mount the hose both ends. Using a gauge and a vacuum pump, pull a vacuum for about 30-45 mins. The check for any leaks and add freon to the correct amount.

Check timmy the tool mans video on charging the AC. I think he got a 100 series too

Good Evening All,

AC stopped blowing cold and got a leak test done and the mechanic told me it's this part -
A/C Refrigerant Discharge Hose
Part Number: 8078-05457394

He quoted me 450 to fix and I can find it online for 29 bucks. Only issue is I have NO idea how to work on AC systems. I can't find any resources on youtube specific to the 100 series either. Any chance you guys can point me in the right direction? Thanks very much in advance!

The price quoted doesn't sound out of line for the work necessary to replace the line.

Presumably, your system is either empty or very low on refrigerant. Either way...your mechanic is going to do a recovery/evacuation. Then replace the hose, pull a vacuum to check for leaks. IF no leaks then continue to pull a vacuum and after that recharge the system with refrigerant.

The 'discharge line' is the easier (I use that term loosely) of the two lines (suction and discharge) to replace. It is the one that connects to the compressor manifold, goes over the top of the radiator and connects to the extension line off of the Condenser. So...routing it is less tedious than the suction line but BOTH are no fun to reach/connect at the compressor manifold.

IF you are considering doing the work yourself, in this case I would discourage that. Normally...I am all for the DIYer learning new skills. But A/C work for the novice (lacking the tools and knowledge) is fraught with pitfalls. Not saying you can't do it....but it depends largely upon a person's mechanical skills and ability to understand and follow instructions.

'Topping Off' refrigerant in a system is well within the scope of most folks and a good first step for those wanting to learn and I encourage owners to do that. But evacuating a system, replacing parts and recharging is at a different level and may or may not present too much of a challenge, depending on the individual.

If finances allow.....I would take your mechanic up on his quote. Best of luck Sir.

Presumably, your system is either empty or very low on refrigerant. Either way...your mechanic is going to do a recovery/evacuation. Then replace the hose, pull a vacuum to check for leaks. IF no leaks then continue to pull a vacuum and after that recharge the system with refrigerant.

The 'discharge line' is the easier (I use that term loosely) of the two lines (suction and discharge) to replace. It is the one that connects to the compressor manifold, goes over the top of the radiator and connects to the extension line off of the Condenser. So...routing it is less tedious than the suction line but BOTH are no fun to reach/connect at the compressor manifold.
During the diagnostic they emptied and refilled the system, unfortunately it's already not blowing cold after about 2 weeks. I appreciate the insight and might just bite the bullet with the mechanic.

During the diagnostic they emptied and refilled the system, unfortunately it's already not blowing cold after about 2 weeks. I appreciate the insight and might just bite the bullet with the mechanic.

I would be surprised if the leak were in the discharge line (or discharge line only). The suction and discharge lines are pretty robust and not prone to leaks (OEM lines anyway). Condenser leaks are much more common and not always easily diagnosed.

Anyway, hope you are able to get it sorted out. Flint.

I would be surprised if the leak were in the discharge line (or discharge line only). The suction and discharge lines are pretty robust and not prone to leaks (OEM lines anyway). Condenser leaks are much more common and not always easily diagnosed.

Anyway, hope you are able to get it sorted out. Flint.
My OEM line was leaking at the metal to rubber transition on the top by the radiator. I also had a leaking compressor and changed them both at the same time.

I learned to do A/C for the first time on my 100. I would say I have advanced mechanical skills. I think I was more scared of the unknown, and after I did it I'll likely never have anyone else do it. Now, what is your time worth? For me I was willing to spend hours reading some very detailed forum posts and watching videos to learn the skill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom