Radiator and Hose Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Never felt like I’ve been dragged through the mud like I was today…Remove and replace radiator along with upper and lower hoses.

Radiator was cracked and it had to be done, but at what cost?

Replaced with Denso 42302. Hoses replaced with Napa parts. The blows keep on coming —when I checked the work at home one of the top bolts holding the radiator in place was never installed! And, the $25.60 radiator cap fee left me with the same cap I went in with!!!!

$1,721.14 out the door…🥸

image.jpg

71279963601__E4B20B04-587D-4A70-9F29-68B5B6B0BA1C.jpeg

Thanks for posting! This tells us DIY repairs are well worth it.

Each corner of the radiator is mounted on 4 rubber mounts and then a bolt goes through it. Check whether you have those rubber mounts. In the picture I see the mount is missing.

Each OEM radiator hose is about $20
Denso Radiator is about $180 with shipping
Coolant with platinum? $23 is cheap if platinum is in the coolant :) . A typical 50/50 is about $12
OEM radiator cap is about $14

Parts alone would cost approx $ 250. You still missing a bolt, a rubber mount and the cap and paid $1712.14. WOW! Call the shop and ask them to deliver and install those missing parts at your home because they charge you a platinum premium. I am guessing even a dealer won't charge this much!

That is a lot. Interesting to see radiator R&R doesn't include top and bottom hoses R&R. What is in the radiator hose kit?

my guess is the kit is the hoses
the R&R is the labor to replace each hose, which is outrageous as the rad is drained and easy access
the R&R is probably the shop rate for each item seperately when it should all be done as 1 job

These are the stories that make my blood boil. It’s ridiculous! That place should be closed down.
One thing is charging a decent rate to keep your business successful while providing a great workmanship to survive for many years.
The other is thieving uneducated customers for your own profit, and providing a half as$ job as the cherry on top.

Btw, based on the picture, they reused the hose clamps.. not good.

Really kicking myself on this one—that’s for sure! Was in a pinch and needed to be back on the road for the weekend.

The ‘kit’ included the two hoses-they even reused my clamps so not even those are fresh.

100% agree that a shop and the skilled techs deserve to make a buck and I fully respect and expect to pay a fair wage to the workers and some overhead to the shop. But holy hell this one is robbery.

These are the stories that make my blood boil. It’s ridiculous! That place should be closed down.
One thing is charging a decent rate to keep your business successful while providing a great workmanship to survive for many years.
The other is thieving uneducated customers for your own profit, and providing a half as$ job as the cherry on top.

Correct. I didn’t even get to mention that one to the shop yet…noticed it as well.

That is a lot. Interesting to see radiator R&R doesn't include top and bottom hoses R&R. What is in the radiator hose kit?
Kit, from all I can tell is top and bottom hose. Taking line by line with the owner today. Not happy…

This is where dealers and shops get you… charging hourly value in book as if it is a stand alone job, and not just part of something larger that effectively had to be done anyway.

What's really going to make your blood boil is when that Denso radiator starts leaking at the trans fittings in probably a short period of time. They're known for that. Just replaced mine for this problem.

I can't find my invoice right this minute but pretty sure my shop did mine for less than 1K with OEM parts

Noticed the hose clamps after the fact...but yes, that will be addressed with them too

I just did this entire job over the weekend. I sourced a CSF Radiator from Rockauto. I bought 6 gallons of Coolant from Rockauto as well. I then went to McGeorge Toyota and ordered my New hoses and the Heater Hoses and Heater T's. I had the radiator drained and removed in 35 minutes. New one popped in no problem.
However, doing the Heater Tee's and the hoses took me 2 hours. I had to lay on top of the engine just to complete this job.

Make sure to get OEM clamps, they cost a few bucks and last forever, as long as they aren't stretched. Refuse any screw clamp, even if you'll have to provide it yourself. See different sizes for clamps based on position and location, check parsouq using your vin to be sure.

Case closed. Shop manager was glad to hear I didn't blast them on ih8mud, new clamps and radiator cap provided, last bolt installed, bushings inspected, and a decent sized check returned.
Very good. Nice to see a happy ending and a business doing the right thing for a customer!

Did you get a written estimate before work was performed? Was it vastly different than the final invoice?

"decent sized check returned." seems like the manager knows how to keep the customer happy and earn more business from you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom