Builds 100 Guy builds ANOTHER 60 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did it again. So sue me.

Like most Cruiser-heads I browse the classifieds pretty often searching for that little old lady who drove her unmolested FJ45 Land Cruiser back and forth from her house to the grocery store. Every now and again, I bite. I call on something I see, usually I am too late to scoop up a deal, but I have gotten lucky a few times. I hope this is one of those time, but time will tell.

Backstory: We are a Cruiser family. I DD a FJ40 for 16 years before jumping into a 100 series. I have both of those rigs still and almost 800,000 miles between the 2 of them. All Toyota. My wife drives a Sequoia and it is nice but we are hoping to upgrade to a 200 someday once the prices come down a bit more. My oldest son is 14 and we have been looking for a Father/Son project to fix up as he comes into driving age... which is 14.5 years old here in Montana. He says he wants a mid 90's mini-truck with a flatbed, you can't blame him right? Anyhow, this 60 popped up and caught our attention so we jumped. Hopefully, it works out... again, time will tell.

Saw a classified ad that read. "1985 FJ60 with 139K original miles. All original, doesn't run." Pics looked good, owner was a super cool cruiser head about 2 hours from our house. We reserved a U-Haul, hitched up the Sequoia and made our way to see the Cruiser the next morning. We looked it over. It had minimal but usual rust, interior was in excellent shape for the year, and the engine looked complete and tuned over easy enough. We bought it and used a come-a-long and tossed it up on the trailer.

The story goes like this... "gal drove it for years, then it stopped working. Her kids pestered her to buy something more modern and she reluctantly did, leaving the Cruiser in a state of disrepair. The next owner bought it since it was clean and unmolested, he trailered it home 6-7 years ago and moth-balled it under a tarp. He said he didn't do anything and had other projects that took priority. When he realized it had been taking up precious space in the shop driveway for longer than he liked to admit he decided to let it go. When I asked him what could be wrong he really started chuckling say he had NEVER even poked around and tried to get it running. Cool. When I asked if it could just be out of gas he made a face like... oh dang, maybe it is that simple.

So here we are, could be a blown motor, could be out of gas... can I have the latter please Lord? - Amen.

Needless to say my 14 year old is stoked. We will hopefully get this engine running, knock out the minimal rust issues, tune it up, repaint it in the garage, add a small lift and tire and drive it through his high school years, then give it to his younger siblings. Heavy, slow, all steel, manual, no computer... I'll take it for a kid car.

This is our second 60. Our first one was cool here its own "build" thread. 100 Guy Builds a 60 it was super fun, V8 overdrive, lifted, pretty fun car to drive.
IMG_4824.JPG

Here we go:

A few pics of our starting point. Interior seems nice for the year. Should clean up nice.

Dash is unmolested. No radio, a few cracks on the dash, but otherwise very complete and un-messed-with... jackpot.
IMG_4831.JPG

Middle row is clean, intact and everything is there. Seat belts, folding mechanism, headliner. Doors still close nice and solid like the seals are still in great shape.
IMG_4832.JPG

Headliner is CLEAN, carpet in the rear and on the back of the seat has faded to a greenish tint. Might look for a replacement after I attempt to clean it up. Even came with the original tool kit from Toyota and bottle jack with Toyota marked wrenches and screwdrivers. Gotta' figure out where they actually mount, under the drivers seat? All lights work as they should, things are looking up.
IMG_4833.JPG

I think a Dash Cap and radio would really spruce up the dash. The fuse block door is cracked and missing a corner, otherwise everything seems to be there. The parking brake is incomplete and needs attention. Factory center console is in awesome shape, lid works, little coin tray intact, pretty rad.
IMG_5003.JPG

Exterior is really pretty straight and "mostly" rust free. At least compared to my last 60.

Looks great after a littel rain! It has a few hail-like dings on the hood, roof and windshield chrome trim, but nothing more than a half dozen bumps or so. Paint is faded but largely keeping the rust at bay. I totally dig the color and plan on a repaint in the same once we cut the rust out. Glass is all Toyota all the way around. Door seals and window seals are in excellent condition. Small dent on the front fender just behind the marker light. That is the only dent to speak of on the whole rig... rad.
IMG_4829.JPG

What I assume are OEM wheels for an 85? Chrome has seen better days but they look awesome for the year. I have a set of wheels and tires ready to go for this thing but these came with some nearly NEW BFG KO originals that have to be at LEAST 10 years old. They are dry rotting which is a shame since they have nearly all their tread remaining. Toyota hub caps over the centers, I dig them.
IMG_4879.JPG

The UGLY. For a Cruiser coming up on 40 years old soon this isn't as bad as it CAN get, but it still stinks. Luckly it seems as though there's some rust repair panels that should cover it up. Time to teach the boy how to weld. Time for dad to brush up on his sheet metal skills. I did get a TIG welder but I haven't taken the time to get ti working and running yet. This shouldn't be that hard to replace with clean steel. We are stoked at the idea of a shiny cruiser. I dig shiny Cruisers. The rest of the body is straight and clean. This is the worst of it by a long shot.
IMG_4998.JPG

The rear is super clean, tailgate, liftgate, rear lights, rear bumper it's all 9/10 or better. There's some chrome flaking on the chrome bumper but it isn't something we are worried about. I think I have set of 60 bumpers in the shed somewhere, time to dust of the spares pile and see what's there.
IMG_4999.JPG

Engine was an oily mess, but complete.

Does no one wash their engine compartment as part of regular washes? There was a good bit of oil build up around the front of the block and below the head. Oil looked decent and at the right level, coolant was green (grrrrrrr) and was a little low but not unreasonably low. Air cleaner was pretty rough and the fuel filter has seen better days.
IMG_4861.JPG

One of my all time favorite tools is my "Hotsie" pressure washer. It is a pressure washer that super heats the water (up to 250* F which makes oily messes slide right off. I hit the whole engine bay with some degreaser from WD-40 and Purple Power and went to town. Am I afraid I'll get water where I shouldn't!? Nope, The results from 10 minutes with the Hotsie are truly impressive. This after shot is of ZERO scrubbing, cussing, or elbow grease. This is just degreaser and HOT water/steam. It floors me how clean things come out. I smoked the lid for the washer fluid otherwise there were no casualties.

I tossed in a new battery and all the lights fired right up. I replaced the air cleaner with a NAPA unit ( couldn't believe they had one on the shelf) I will wait to drain any gas and prime the oil system before trying to fire it up and get it running. Hopefully this week. If and when the engine comes to life, I will replace as many needed parts with OEM that I can get my hands on. But we gotta see if we have a blown engine or if we are out of gas... Lord, please. -Amen.
IMG_4997.JPG

For the most part everything was just grimey... this was with a quick shot of cleaner and a rag going over the same spot. Cleaned up quick with the Hotsie.
IMG_4867.JPG

A friend of mine couldn't stand how "tall" his 4Runner was with these "big knobby" tires. He sold them to me last summer for a song. They have been sitting in my garage waiting for a project ever since. They are BFG KO2's 285/75-16 or just about a 33x11-ish tire. The wheels are a procomp or Mickey Thompson wheel I can't remember. They were plasti-dipped black at somepoint, they looked decent enough but the black wheel look is so 2018... I dig me some polished aluminum wheels.
IMG_4936.JPG

I dig this wheel and tire combo... I LIKE IT A-LOT (insert dumb and dumber Jim Carey voice here).
IMG_4940.JPG

I started to peal at the edge of the plasti-dip and it began tearing away in 1/4" sized chunks... this was going to take a while.
IMG_4938.JPG

Then I watched a few YouTube videos that showed how Goof-Off would loosen the adhesive and the plasti-dip and how it could be removed without much issue. I figured 200* water from the Hotsie might speed things up. I sprayed the Goof-off onto the wheels, waited about 15-20 minutes then cranked the Hotsie up to 200* and popped a yellow tip into the pressure washer end. The plasti-dip literally smeared right off. Gone, no mess, no fuss, no elbow grease. I'll take the win.
IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG

I was stoked they were so nice and clean underneath. It took about 5 minutes per tire once the Goof-Off had time to do it's thing. I did do a second coat and it took all the residual plasti-dip off, at that point I think the heat was doing more than the chemical. These tires have less than 5K on them and BFG's wear like iron in my perssonal experience.
IMG_4939.JPG

So the Cruiser doesn't run yet and I am working on shining up my new-to-me wheels.... sounds about par for the course I play on. Here is a few shots of the old 28" monsters and the new 32.8"x11.3" BFG's. I think this size will be a great balance between on/offroad performance and streetability (is that a word?). The KO2's are awesome in the snow and that is a big deal when you live in a town with 8 months of winter.
IMG_4903.JPG

If the Cruiser doesn't have some catastrophic engine, major component failure we should have enough cheddar to buy a simple OME 2.5" lift or similar. I rolled out the jack and put it on a tape measure to approximate what the Cruiser could look like with a small lift and tire. I think this is one of the best tire/wheel/lift combo's a 60 can have. Hopefully, it'll fire up and drive without too much hassle.
IMG_4950.JPG

Great truck! I’ve got an 87 that color with grey interior. I’m sure we’ll run into each other around town at some point.

We had a nice day and nothing on the schedule so me and the boys jumped on the 60 for a few hours. We knocked out a couple of little things like replacing the rear gas struts on the liftgate, and swapping in a new fuse box cover to replace the old cracked one.

Out with the worn out struts, in with some new ones.
DD5643CD-EF00-4476-8ABB-9EDB258AE288.jpeg

The old fuse cover hd a big crack in it. We scored another one from Paul @3_puppies from Last Chance Land Cruisers in Helena Montana. He’s got he man for onobtanium parts.
1E29F4CA-0FB4-46D8-BC98-E02B94419524.jpeg

A little Tough Stuff soap and detail brush brought the decal back to life.
3C2EAEDF-4489-49EE-95D9-AA237EB1F96E.jpeg

All cleaned up and ready for another 38 years.
FBC69096-01E6-4A94-AED5-FD5516844A76.jpeg

We actually got all kinds of goodies from Paul. And we pulled out everything that was in the truck including a sweet old OEM tool bag with Toyota wrenches and screwdrivers.

Goodies… snake blinder, new intake hose, OEM bottle jack.
FF51C126-8D6E-48B4-8E53-F95C59AF92AE.jpeg
66C898F9-9D38-4E1D-955E-87972BF93B0D.jpeg

Look at all that OEM GOLD!
ED6EEEB2-6D26-4D03-BA04-7FE668D7DC64.jpeg

E2082632-0AB0-45F6-B4E0-885A2AD45CB4.jpeg

Bottle jack looks unused…
C8F3D420-C74D-46D7-AEA7-AE6C1EE56D07.jpeg

Where does all the jack stuff go? The tire irons etc? Bottle jack seems to have some tie downs under the drivers seat… not sure on the rods.

We had a Tight window to beat the weather today however we got a couple of big things done, mainly draining the old gas. It was actually super painless since Toyota includes a drain plug. Thank you Mr. Toyota. I don’t think that 87 octane should look this color? :facepalm:

Our super high tech setup.
5AA27FB1-AB51-43CC-910B-7BF4FC3FC26E.jpeg

Smiles… I’ll take it.
9C9B224A-7724-4107-B08B-ACDAC67EAE50.jpeg

This stuff stinks to high heaven… smells like a strong wood varnish and is nearly bright red. If the story I got is true, it’s been in there 7ish years. Ouch.

Any suggestions on what I should do while it’s empty? I popped a new fuel filter in but I’m wondering if I should run some alcohol in there to evaporate any water build up? Something like HEET? Then put a few gallons of stabilized high octane in it? I’m wide open to suggestions on this one.
FDA039AC-E1E2-470F-BD17-933F61D8B58C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom