Builds 100 Guy builds ANOTHER 60 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That'll buff right out.
I am thinking if I run 40wt it'll smooth right out.:steer:

Got some quotes for rebuilding the bottom end. Good shop with 1 month turn around and all new parts... not ideal, but cool that it is an option. Time to start yanking the engine and open it up and see if it needs more than a rotating assembly.

If you go the rebuild route there's a local guy who frequents this forum and he's been down the carb tuning road.

1694555182079.jpeg

We sourced a good running 2F out of a FJ60 with good compression and 140k on the clock. That's what we are going with. One day I'll have my own silver, LS powered 60 but this one needs to be slow and rather quick turn around as the boy is becoming a man before my eyes and can start driving this spring. We hope to go get the engine this weekend.

Sounds like a solid option! I can't wait to see it rolling under its' own power.

We sourced a good running 2F out of a FJ60 with good compression and 140k on the clock. That's what we are going with. One day I'll have my own silver, LS powered 60 but this one needs to be slow and rather quick turn around as the boy is becoming a man before my eyes and can start driving this spring. We hope to go get the engine this weekend.
Just watch out for those "old lady" bargain finds.....

Time for an update. Last weekend I made it up to my favorite Cruiser parts guy... @3_puppies aka Paul from Last Chance Land Cruisers. Paul is a stand up guy and local Cruiser head. He hooked us up with a nice mid 80's FJ60 2F with 140k on the clock and good compression numbers. It was more complete than I thought it might be and after a hand shake and a little drooling over his 45's... yes plural I hit the road to haul the 2F back to Bozeman. Paul assured me this particular 2F would yield 500 horsepower and has magic inside of it that restores rusty panels just by bolting it up.

Thanks again Paul! Always nice to see you.

The mighty 2F... time for the Hotsie and some degreaser and a call down to Kurt and gang at Cruiser Outfitters for a gasket set and other bits and bops as we tear it down, inspect and seal it back up. Stay tuned.
IMG_5928.jpeg

Young man is excited again... we have a few projects in line before we can dig in.
IMG_5931.jpeg

Time for an update. Last weekend I made it up to my favorite Cruiser parts guy... @3_puppies aka Paul from Last Chance Land Cruisers. Paul is a stand up guy and local Cruiser head. He hooked us up with a nice mid 80's FJ60 2F with 140k on the clock and good compression numbers. It was more complete than I thought it might be and after a hand shake and a little drooling over his 45's... yes plural I hit the road to haul the 2F back to Bozeman. Paul assured me this particular 2F would yield 500 horsepower and has magic inside of it that restores rusty panels just by bolting it up.

Thanks again Paul! Always nice to see you.

The mighty 2F... time for the Hotsie and some degreaser and a call down to Kurt and gang at Cruiser Outfitters for a gasket set and other bits and bops as we tear it down, inspect and seal it back up. Stay tuned.
View attachment 3466678

Young man is excited again... we have a few projects in line before we can dig in.
View attachment 3466685
500 HP? That's a lot of stickers! Seriously, nice find!

Looks great Drew! and of course I believe you got the correct color 60.

Progress… might not look like too much but we got the engine off the floor, steam/pressure washed, onto the crane, mounted onto the engine stand and moved next to the workbench.

The 2F is a heavy beast, it had my attention the entire time.

The dangling beast.
IMG_6031.jpeg

As I age I’m more particular about keeping my workspace clean and working on a clean rig when possible. One of my favorite tools is the hotsie pressure washer. Yesterday was crunch time here in Montana as it may have been the last 50* day for the next 6 months or so. I needed to get the pressure washer winterized, get the hose drained etc so yesterday was the day to get the old 2F degreased and cleaned up.

My clean up recipe is as follows:

1. Plug or tape off holes within reason.
2. Spray liberally with Oil Eater (my favorite degreaser) it’ll even eat up 90wt.
3. Let the Oil Eater soak for up to an hour or more. Sometimes I’ll hit it a few days in a row.
4. Stabilize the part so the pressure washer can’t move it around.
5. Consider where all the gunk will flow. Gotta keep that driveway clean!
6. Crank the heat to 220*
7. Put on a face shield, and get to work.
8. Hit the part with compressed air.
9. Evaluate if the hard to reach spots are clean.
10. Enjoy a clean part, or in this case a whole engine.

Here are some before and after pics. Probably spent 20 minutes on the old 2F.

Before: rear drivers side near the crank and oil pan.
IMG_6033.jpeg

After: No scrubbing, no scraping, no greasy mess. I love this thing.
IMG_6068.jpeg

Before: Passenger side engine mount and grounding cable.
IMG_6040.jpeg

It’s that general greasy mess. It’s wet from the Oil Eater.
IMG_6042.jpeg

After: the steam takes it right off!
IMG_6074.jpeg

Last ones for now: front of engine down low by the crank pulley. It’s caked on grease.
IMG_6050.jpeg
IMG_6049.jpeg

After:
IMG_6069.jpeg

Even the water pump looks aluminum again.
IMG_6070.jpeg

Is it a mess? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes!
IMG_6058.jpeg

After she was cleaned up, it was time to figure out how to get the engine off the crane and onto the engine stand. Thanks again @elkun1

Now, we’ve all done some sketchy things in life, this one was up there for me. I was alone and couldn’t get my hoist chain leveler on the engine since it was carrying the weight and stabilizing the engine.

So, we improvised and brought the engine stand to the engine! The legs of both the crane and the stand got in the way of one another so we made it work. Sketchy yes. Scary… yes. Mission accomplished? Yes.

Nothing to see here…
IMG_6060.jpeg

It was about here I started to question my theory , the rear of the stand was about 6-8”
off the ground. I wasn’t sure how the front heavy 2F would “settle.” Thank the good Lord for keeping me safe through more shenanigans.
IMG_6061.jpeg

We moved so stuff around and my son got home just in time to help get the engine into the shop. Time to tear into the “new” engine.
IMG_6065.jpeg

Drew, not to rain on your parade, but couldn't you spin the engine some and come in at an angle with the engine stand so the legs cleared each other?
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom