Builds 100 Guy builds ANOTHER 60 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now, how far would you go with this engine?

1. New gaskets and seals for sure.
2. Some paint and cleanup for sure.
3. We’ll pull the valve cover and pan and make sure everything’s looking good.

I’m unsure if I should:
1. Put in new bearings while it’s out?
2. Regime the cylinders?
3. Replace the valve seals?
4. New rings?

Basically trying to decide should we really open it up and poke around while it’s out or should we clean it up, new gaskets and plop it back in.

Engine has 140k and good compression. However, it is a used engine and anything could happen inside.

Looks like a gasket and seal kit for the whole 2F would be sub $400 all in. If I start doing rings and bearings it goes up by not drastically.

Drew, not to rain on your parade, but couldn't you spin the engine some and come in at an angle with the engine stand so the legs cleared each other?
Paul
I’m sure something could have worked but I tried everything I could think of. I had to extend the boom the whole way out just to sort of get it to reach. In the end it’s on there and I didn’t die… so that’s a win.

There were likely some other options but I couldn’t steady the engine, line up the stand and work the crane all at once. This seemed to work

Now, how far would you go with this engine?

1. New gaskets and seals for sure.
2. Some paint and cleanup for sure.
3. We’ll pull the valve cover and pan and make sure everything’s looking good.

I’m unsure if I should:
1. Put in new bearings while it’s out?
2. Regime the cylinders?
3. Replace the valve seals?
4. New rings?

Basically trying to decide should we really open it up and poke around while it’s out or should we clean it up, new gaskets and plop it back in.

Engine has 140k and good compression. However, it is a used engine and anything could happen inside.

Looks like a gasket and seal kit for the whole 2F would be sub $400 all in. If I start doing rings and bearings it goes up by not drastically.
It’s not my money or time, but if I had the engine out anyway I’d probably do it so it could stay in for a good 200k.

I'm with Yota Paullie on this. You've got the engine out and you've got a kid who will learn a lot. I suppose you could look at the cylinder wall condition while doing the head gasket and make a decision based on what you see.

I bought zip-lock baggies, boxes and a big bin to start breaking down the engine... never thought that would give me some excitement to dive into this engine breakdown.

Do you have a parts washer? I’m done using mine for my rebuild and put it outside for the winter to free up some space in the garage. If you’d like you can borrow it. Saved me tons of time.

I bought zip-lock baggies, boxes and a big bin to start breaking down the engine... never thought that would give me some excitement to dive into this engine breakdown.
Good memories. Yeah it slows progress, but good memories if nothing else. I’m looking forward to seeing this done.

So we dug in.

Both boys jumped in today to help break down and catalog all the parts. We tossed all the hardware into my ammo sonic cleaner and cut some purple power 50/50 with water. It worked awesome. My 10 year old was in charge of cleaning hardware and bagging it.

My oldest son and I attacked the engine and accessories. The only casualty of the the day was the air rail. Two parts of the tube let go before breaking the rusty seal.

Otherwise it was smooth sailing.

Not a bad way to spend the afternoon.
IMG_6270.jpeg

Things came apart pretty easy. My youngest enjoyed the speedy bar wrench, my 14 year old enjoys the 1/2” impact the most.
IMG_6279.jpeg

Overall we have a nice engine to work with. Some visible cross hatching still there. A few smooth spots on the cylinder walls but nothing scary. No lip at that top of the cylinders if we want to re-ring it from the top. Not sure how far we’ll dig from here. We’re gonna flip it and take a look at the bottom end while we wait on a gasket set.
IMG_6292.jpeg

Valve/Rocker assembly looked great. Each connecting rod looks awesome, so far so good.
IMG_6280.jpeg

Only real surprise was this guy had fallen asleep in the thermostat.
IMG_6263.jpeg

nice, a mascot

Progress is looking good! I've got an alert on the hotsy pressure washers after seeing your results. Looks like a very valuable tool.

Also, BIG fan of your hardware racks in the background. I'm jealous. I hate the home depot hardware aisle with a passion.

Progress is looking good! I've got an alert on the hotsy pressure washers after seeing your results. Looks like a very valuable tool.

Also, BIG fan of your hardware racks in the background. I'm jealous. I hate the home depot hardware aisle with a passion.
I walked into our local Murdoch’s here in Bozeman (farm store) and they were selling the whole hardware isle after switching to a new supplier. I got all the hardware I desired for about $400 out the door. It’s been epic having around. I bought ALL the metric and ALL the stainless and a bunch of other things. The guy behind me bought everything I didn’t. Two of us cleaned them out in about 10 minutes. Figured it was a once in a life time opportunity so I jumped.

Right time, right place, thank you Lord.

Gives new meaning to the old "honey I'm going to the hardware store!" 😂
That is the awkward phone call.... "Honey, can you come get me at the hardware store"
"Why? You okay?"
"Um.... I'm fine just a little car trouble is all."
"Oh, that stinks. Do you want me to call a tow truck?"
"No, the trouble is the cruiser is just a little too small to fit all my cart items.... I might need you to grab the pickup and hook up the trailer as well.... Now that I think bout the flatbed tow truck.... that might just do the trick"

That is the awkward phone call.... "Honey, can you come get me at the hardware store"
"Why? You okay?"
"No, the trouble is the cruiser is just a little too small to fit all my cart items.... I might need you to grab the pickup and hook up the trailer as well.... Now that I think bout the flatbed tow truck.... that might just do the trick"
The phone call dreams are made of.

"Why? You okay?"
I went to the store for some fresh hay and rabbit feed. I came home with neither of those. Had to make another trip for them. Haha

I went to the store for some fresh hay and rabbit feed. I came home with neither of those. Had to make another trip for them. Haha
You are my new hero. That is so hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom