1/4 Panel patch with limited tools (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for sharing this ! Would like to see the other pics and description also if you have some time :)

wow!!! looks very easy but i wish i have the talent and skill. Thanks for sharing those techniques. keep us posted when ever you have something to share

Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing the pics!! Is nice to see how its done. Hope I have the skills to do something similar some day!

Great write up! Thank you

Excellent write up and great pictures! Thank you for sharing.:cheers::beer::cheers::beer::cheers::beer::cheers::beer:

awsome thread...........:clap:couple of questions.........have you done any floorboard fabbing?; what did you do to solve the bead fabbing?.......and what wire welder did you use?:beer::beer::beer:TIA

Lou

toyrod,
Thank you so much for this posting. I like the way you think....Cheap yet properly done. I was looking the other day at the cost of some of the patch panels that I need at CCOT and was thinking, I don't know if I could accomplish this without winning the lottery.

Couple questions:

What gauge metal? I don't know if I missed it in the reading.

Also, what kind of welding equipment are you using? I am thinking of purchasing a Hobart 140 or 187, but I am always interested in what others are using.

Nice work and great write-up. I may have to use some of this info on a car resto project that I might be taking on.

Couple questions:

What gauge metal? I don't know if I missed it in the reading.

16 gauge cold rolled steel for anything that is hand formed.

Also, what kind of welding equipment are you using? I am thinking of purchasing a Hobart 140 or 187, but I am always interested in what others are using.[/quote]

I'm using a Lincoln 185. If your just going to do sheetmetal, any namebrand 110V will do. Flux core wire will keep your costs down also.

awsome thread...........:clap:couple of questions.........have you done any floorboard fabbing?; what did you do to solve the bead fabbing?.......and what wire welder did you use?:beer::beer::beer:TIA

Lou

I have only used diamond plate to replace floorboards. I haven't figured out a cheap way to duplicate the original ribs.

Not sure what you mean by "bead fabbing".

bead= the streangthening ribs on the floorboards; they are "rolled" when hand made or from factory are stamped into the sheetmetal :)

Lou

bead= the streangthening ribs on the floorboards; they are "rolled" when hand made or from factory are stamped into the sheetmetal :)

Lou

That is true, the process of beading, stamping, rolling and flanging of sheetmetal does make it much stronger, however diamond plate is "plate" rather than sheet meaning equal to or thicker than 11G (in most cases) and therefore is going to be plenty strong enough with out the ribbing...for the front floor. Now on a flat bed truck, you'd want to support it with ribbing underneath.

"get er done"

Respect for this thread, good job man!

-Stumbaugh

That’s the method I used but I used an 8” pipe and rolled it. I wish you did this thread 6 months ago I like the way you rolled yours.

Awesome job!
Chris

Yeah! Nice.........now on to the floorboards!
This is inspiring me to do it myself.....

awsome......thanks for sharing Chief; I and many others on this thread owe ya:beer::cheers::beer::cheers:

Lou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom