1/2” Cordless Impact Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In a shop-only setting, a quality air impact might make more sense, rather than cordless. You get less torque, but should be less maintenance if you keep it oiled

Ok, so I purchased the Milwaukee Fuel M18 1/2 impact driver - and it didn't occur to me that I would need different sockets.

Any recommendations on a socket set suite for this tool that will make this useful for working on the cruiser?

The HF, Craftsman, Lowes stuff will be the cheapest, and will probably work until it wears out and you throw it away in a few decades.

If you want quality new impacts at a low price, choose the Williams USA line at toolsdelivered.com William's is a Snap-On brand, and much of their tools are outsourced to Taiwan, as is BluePoint.

The Williams tools that are made in USA, usually use the same lines that Snap-On does, many of the tool features, often older dies no longer used for Snap-On.

Good luck.

Steven, in a pinch, you can get adapter sets from 1/4" impact driver (if you meant that literally) to 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" for a couple of bucks. But I guess you meant impact wrench?

Yes, it is impact wrench..sorry, these beefy power tools are new to me!

M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2 in. Impact Wrench Friction Ring

I thought one of my current hand tool 1/2 inch sockets would fit - perhaps not be strong enough for use, but that it would attach so I would know what to look for - but that does not seem to be quick big enough...do I just need to brute force it, or are they incompatible?

I took a quick look at some harbor freight socket sets..
..but they have a hole for a pin....the impact wrench doesn't have a hole on the attachment portion.

Do Impact Wrenches use the same sockets as Impact Drivers (assuming both are 1/4 inch?) Is that harbor freight set suitable or should I be looking for something else?

Yes, it is impact wrench..sorry, these beefy power tools are new to me!

M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2 in. Impact Wrench Friction Ring

I thought one of my current hand tool 1/2 inch sockets would fit - perhaps not be strong enough for use, but that it would attach so I would know what to look for - but that does not seem to be quick big enough...do I just need to brute force it, or are they incompatible?

I took a quick look at some harbor freight socket sets..
..but they have a hole for a pin....the impact wrench doesn't have a hole on the attachment portion.

Do Impact Wrenches use the same sockets as Impact Drivers (assuming both are 1/4 inch?) Is that harbor freight set suitable or should I be looking for something else?

Noo... you want to use only the black sockets, UJ's, extensions on an impact. The black painted/coated steel used for impact use is a softer steel than chrome hand sockets, which will break, and you'll have no warranty claim

The impact sockets and accessories eventually wear due to hard use and softer metal. The insides of sockets can round out over time for impact sockets.

You can get cheap complete sets around as aftermarket. There is also lots being sold locally in your area by mechanics leaving the trade, retired or laid off. Check around for used.

your regular sockets should fit fine on the impact wrench if it's the correct nominal size (1/2" etc). Easy to verify with calipers. It's just that those friction rings are really tough at first and you need to muscle the sockets on. The sockets with holes are for wrenches with a detent ball on the driving end.
FWIW, I would not hesitate to use a regular socket in a pinch if I did not have an impact one around, I would just double up on eye protection. It's not exactly like a certainty that they will shatter in a million pieces the first time you use them with an impact wrench...

your regular sockets should fit fine on the impact wrench if it's the correct nominal size (1/2" etc). Easy to verify with calipers. It's just that those friction rings are really tough at first and you need to muscle the sockets on. FWIW, I would not hesitate to use a regular socket in a pinch if I did not have an impact one around, I would just double up on eye protection. It's not exactly like a certainty that they will shatter in a million pieces the first time you use them with an impact wrench...

You really don't want to do that. A set of proper impact sockets aren't that expensive. You already dodged a few problem sets of gear by choosing the M18 high-impact already, continue to make the right choices here

You'll have chrome UJ's shatter pretty early in using them on an impact or power ratchet. Your 1/2" drive might mostly be larger sockets too, and more prone to breaking if you're using chrome hand sockets.

It may not shatter like glass, but one snap of a UJ or a single crack in a socket or extension, and it's not any use any more, and is an abuse of the tool, voiding warranty.

For like a 1/4" drive screws and bolts holding sheetmetal together, you should be ok in a pinch using chrome hand sockets on powered equipment.

My 2C.

^ I would not do regular universal joints on an impact wrench for sure. As to sockets, it is of course better to use impact ones, but it is also probably fine to use a regular one in a pinch if the nut is not frozen solid on there. Worst thing you run the socket, big deal if it can possibly help you continue to work and avoid waiting for a proper impact one.

Tekton and Gray Pneumatic are made in Taiwan and I really like their impact sockets.

I like Williams too, but they have stuff made in USA and Taiwan so pick your sets. I have a number of Williams tools, reasonably priced for what you get. The web site mentioned above notes the source country for the different tools and tool sets. I've bought plenty of things from them...no issues.

For impact sockets (and sockets in general) you just can't beat Harbor Freight. I am using them professionally daily. Cheap, tough and the warranty, not that you'd need it. I am really like their impact-rated wobble extensions in 3/8 and 1/2" lately.

I’m so happy right now. I’ve been trying to get these b!+<@$ off for quite sometime without stripping!

Took less than 3 minutes!

73BE41B7-84FC-4423-8E4E-2F82BF6FC2FF.jpeg
F4448509-6529-4A9E-8E37-FA2028EED7F8.jpeg
7275A703-7E64-4336-AAC7-3D8FF5EF16AB.jpeg
96BC33EE-8381-4E6A-BD96-33C25CCB4B7A.jpeg

So been looking at the M18 Fuel impacts as I want something that is larger to hand stubborn bolts and duty for taking wheels off. I have a small M12 kit that I love but wondering if there is a "cheaper" place to purchase the M18 impact set (tool, battery charger) that doesn't cost like $500?

So been looking at the M18 Fuel impacts as I want something that is larger to hand stubborn bolts and duty for taking wheels off. I have a small M12 kit that I love but wondering if there is a "cheaper" place to purchase the M18 impact set (tool, battery charger) that doesn't cost like $500?

There’s a Facebook group I’m on that’s dedicated to buying and selling Milwaukee tools there’s a lot of people on there selling new tools at wholesale cost. No reason to pay more at the store.

Oh yeah and the 1/2” M18 Fuel is probably the best tool purchase I have ever made.

There’s a Facebook group I’m on that’s dedicated to buying and selling Milwaukee tools there’s a lot of people on there selling new tools at wholesale cost. No reason to pay more at the store.

Oh yeah and the 1/2” M18 Fuel is probably the best tool purchase I have ever made.
Nifty! I might have to look into that. My BIL is a professional plumber so he can contact his milwaukee rep and get his price for me. Don't know if that would be cheaper than your group or not. Love my little M12 set just want the bigger guy for stubborn bolts and lug nutz.

My friend has Milwaukee tools, and I can see the quality, but with the sales HD has on Ridgid, with a lifetime warranty, it was an easy decision for me. I have an impact wrench, large drill and impact driver. And a number of extra capacity extra batteries included (I'll have to count, I think I have 7 batteries and 4 chargers, including 3 hi cap batteries) and paid $250 for all of it. After two years of heavy use (use as handheld steel wheel and polisher, a few accidental drops, etc) they are going strong.

Ridgid on sale are great bang for the buck. And as stated above, the auto feature allows me to out lugs back on quickly but stop before stripping for final torque wrench tightening. It is a great tool, and has worked great on many stubborn bolts on my FJ40.

@cruisermatt can you share the name of the FB group? I applied to join I thought a likely candidate and never heard back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom