1/2” Cordless Impact Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Milwaukee Fuel M18. No comparison. Absolutely worth it even if you are already invested in another brand.

I agree, M-18. Just make sure to invest in the larger batteries when you get it. Like an angle grinder that thing EATS battery power if you're using it for stretches of time.

I have the DeWalt version. Good for 300 LB-Ft. Must make sure you get the high AH batteries no matter what version you go with.

I have the DeWalt version. Good for 300 LB-Ft. Must make sure you get the high AH batteries no matter what version you go with.
All of my battery tools are Makita, for the last 20 years. The Makita impact is nice but when I got to use the Milwaukee that a friend had we were running down floor plates that tie into the concrete foundation of his cabin (under construction) and it just felt better in the hand and had an OBVIOUS amount of power over the makita. I had myself one for the next day of work. I can tell you from personal experience it will wring off a wheel stud if you get a lugnut stripped. It will also break your finger in the process... HA!

My mind goes immediately to battery life, expense and the fact that there is no industry standard. I know, it's a whole other topic. I like to buy tools that will last a long time 20plus years. I'd stick with an air driven tool and compressor. Even though battery tech has come a long way the makers will change designs every 10 years and about the time your batteries wear out everyone has moved onto the next greatest thing. If you can find you batteries by an aftermarket maker they will cost more than a new tool. And you won't be able to sell your tool because it's now pretty much worthless.

I have beated the crap out of Milwaukee Fuel tools for the past four years now, hobby and commercially, And when I say I’ve seen them take abuse I mean abuse far worse then the average weekender could imagine. Dropped a drill off a high rise, grinder went in a lake, driven over drills and impacts with the service truck several times from leaving them on the tire accidentally, you name it. When they do get killed or damaged Milwaukee’s warranty service has been exceptional as well.
In terms of battery life I keep a single 5.0 battery on my 1/2” driver in the Cruiser always. Never had an issue with battery life, it last more then enough to do any amount of trail repairs or wheel changes you could need.

I think the Milwaukee M18 are better tools than the Dewalt 20v, but I already had some Dw stuff so I just stuck with it as the tool inventory grew. The Dewalts are cheaper, and I've never had a problem with them, so I don't regret the decision. I had a couple of the 20v drills working fine after 12 years of hard use until they were stolen.

there are some solid review vids of impact on YT, some with good measurements. Not surprisingly, the advertised torque ratings are often optimistic..

I'm pretty happy with my ridgid. I had the old version, which was a bit underpowered. The new one seems much stronger, and has a 4 power level switch which is handy. I especially like the auto stop mode, you can spin lug nuts in until they're basically hand tight, then come back with a torque wrench.

I made a commitment to Makita LXT (18V LiIon) back in 2006 when they first came out, I still have the impact driver and have used the heck out of it, and it just keeps going. I have quite a few tools in this line now, I carry this impact gun in my truck now:

Amazon product ASIN B01NCJQH1I
I'm not impressed, it struggles to get the lug nuts off the Cruiser (I torque them to ~100 ft-lbs). Anything smaller than that is no problem, and it's nice and small, so compromise there. I might pick up the bigger model to keep in the garage and when we go to autocross.

I don't remember the last time I used my air impact. I'll probably put it up on craigslist this summer. I'm done with air tools.

It does have some weight to it! The other guys in the shop are pretty amazed at what it can do, though - as am I!

Milwaukee M18 Fuel high-torque or you're wasting your time and money. Dewalt and Makita have lost the cordless game, Milwaukee has grabbed the market for now.

The oilfield company I work for uses Milwaukee M18 Fuel impacts in 1/2, 3/4, and even 1" drive. No problem with any of them in heavy industrial use.

I bought a Makita 7" corded grinder the other day, their larger corded tools are still quite good, perhaps even better than Milwaukee corded.

Dewalt is owned by Stanley Black & Decker. Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee power tools are all the same company, with three different grades, homeowner, trades, and industrial.

Snap-On and Ingersol Rand both have cordless impacts too. I don't think your gaining much with them, other than just paying more.

Yes, absolutely. The high-impact costs more, but well worth it. Milwaukee sells many of their tools as "tool only" too, without charger or battery once you get going. I have about a dozen M18 tools, and only 4 batteries and two chargers. Lots for me.

Anything like an M18 impact should be the
" Fuel " variant, with a brushless motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom