1/1971 fj40 factory sound deadening? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a 1971 40 that was my neighbors from 71 until this spring. I have been trying to get the whole history of the vehicle to understand what he has done over the years and especially what is not original to the ride. One thing that came up was the black stuff on the interior floor. I’ve attached some pictures so you can see what I am talking about. Per my neighbor it was there when he bought it with 2500 miles in 71 from original owner. He assumed that original owner installed it but said it may have came from factory like that. Have not been able to find any info searching the threads. Any historical knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

F6895293-622A-4843-8B12-AF3FC667D7B9.jpeg

5E2957EA-2C9A-49EA-A848-0BD89EF44800.jpeg

9AFAC7C6-29F2-4C38-8883-C698D98CC757.jpeg

F6499AAC-81F4-405F-B904-0ACBF29AD3F6.jpeg

62F02693-8FB0-4CAA-A9FE-DE355EEC8C8F.jpeg

Not oem, from either previous owner or *Possibly* a dealer option.

Thank you both,
I hear dry ice and alcohol is the way to remove it. Any advice on best path to remove without damaging the paint underneath?

Thank you both,
I hear dry ice and alcohol is the way to remove it. Any advice on best path to remove without damaging the paint underneath?
Alcohol definitely helps. :beer:

Thank you both,

I am not sure but thing the dry ice was for removing the hard tar installed as sound deadening at the factory. That was rather thick. If it works the same on something as thin I wouldn't know. Being so thin paint would get colder. How that would effect original paint I'm not sure.

Someone got talked into paying 20 bucks for the undercoat treatment but on the inside haha.

Lacquer thinner and a rag are my go to with this stuff. Sometimes a white scotchbrite (not green, to rough) for the hard to remove stuff. But be careful, don't like use a hudson sprayer and whole hog it with lacquer thinner; if left on there for a bit, it will take the spring green paint off. It'll take time and patience and elbow grease but it will be worth the end result.

I can't see how dry ice would work on this, either

I scraped off whatever wanted to come off with a regular cleaning brush, installed sound deadening felt mat from Summit, and carpet over it

on the firewall, I installed Dynamite as sound mitigation, but I won't do that again - it's damn sticky, even more so after several cycles of heat from the engine compartment, and doesn't even deaden much sound :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom