Builds '05 GX470 "build"... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^^ Thanks!

As for trimming the running boards: I think once you have them off the truck (that's the hard part!), and have a sharp razor knife in hand...it'll be clear where to cut. Looking at the top of the running board, you'll find 8-10 plastic tabs that are riveted to the aluminum structure of the step. Once you cut those off, 80% of the work is done. The painted portion of the step that makes up the first 8-9" behind the front wheel, and the last couple inches before the rear wheel...is the plastic you want to keep. I cut it a lot lower than I intended to leave them (you can't put it back on, but you can always trim a little more off!).

Test fit, trim...test fit, trim...etc...

Anyway, use a sharp blade and trim carefully...slowly, with a fair amount of pressure...and it'll come out great. The worst part, by far, is removing the little clips that hold the step on (the ones in the door channel).

Be sure to post pics when it's all said and done...

- Brian

Another month, another not-really-an-update, update.

Haven't done anything with the truck except trim the plastic in the drivers wheel well (at the rear). It catches the tire (just barely) in certain situations. It shouldn't hit (passenger side doesn't)...and I think the real solution is a half degree more caster.

Other than that, I've been able to get off the paved road a couple times recently. Nothing too exciting, but here's pics anyway:

lexus-on-beach-1.jpg

Took my family to the beach (south of St. Augustine). Truck is leaning left in the pic above, makes the rear look really low (?).

Also took a trip down to the Ocala National Forest this past weekend. I was hoping for some decent trails, but it's mostly dirt roads and sugar sand trails through the woods. Some nice scenery, but I was dodging low-hanging branches all day. We went half for the off roading, and half to check out Juniper Springs (natural spring water "pool" / pond, for lack of a better description. 72-degree water, year round!). It was nice, but crowded in the springs. The woods and trails were empty!

Other than the twisty trails, I found nothing more than this little berm to drive on, just playing around:

lexus-in-ocala-1.jpg

lexus-in-ocala-2.jpg

There was just single track on the other side, so I backed down.

Anyway, that's all I got.

Still loving this truck - Such a great mix of daily driver + off road capabilities.

- Brian

Time to pester you again! You done anything lately, or are you just saving up for a far superior 60 series? (Insert evil laughter here)

Time to pester you again! You done anything lately, or are you just saving up for a far superior 60 series? (Insert evil laughter here)

I've done nothing but have the dash replaced (under warranty)...certainly nothing exciting!

As for a 60-series...I need to get off my ass and sell my track car ('96 240SX), and I've really considered putting that $$$ towards a FJ-60. Just having a hard time pulling the trigger, as I've owned the Nissan for 18 years now (anyone looking for a 240SX for track days and SCCA Autocross? :D ).

- Brian

Can you tell me, specifically, the suspension components you used in your "Bilstein + ToyTec lift?" It sits very nicely, and it looks like about the amount of lift I'd like to have (to clear 285/70-17 tires)

Can you tell me, specifically, the suspension components you used in your "Bilstein + ToyTec lift?" It sits very nicely, and it looks like about the amount of lift I'd like to have (to clear 285/70-17 tires)

From the first page of this build thread (parts all interchange w/ '07-09 FJ Cruiser):

FRONT SUSPENSION:
Bilstein 5100's (set to the 2nd notch)
ToyTec 3" (FJ/4Runner) lift coils (Eibach 112620)
Light Racing (SPC) Upper control arms

REAR SUSPENSION:
ToyTec "Superflex" springs (not the HD ones)
Bilstein 5100 shocks

Hope that helps...

- Brian

I'm just curious if the rear shocks allow full drop. I found on my 06' taco that the stock shocks were limiting my drop by about 2-3inches. I then switched to some pro-comp shocks that were a bit longer. I figured this out by jacking my truck up by the sliders and noticed the shock was the only thing holding my axle off the ground. When I unbolted the shocks my axle dropped about 2.5inches.

I'm just curious if the rear shocks allow full drop. I found on my 06' taco that the stock shocks were limiting my drop by about 2-3inches. I then switched to some pro-comp shocks that were a bit longer. I figured this out by jacking my truck up by the sliders and noticed the shock was the only thing holding my axle off the ground. When I unbolted the shocks my axle dropped about 2.5inches.

The rear shocks ARE the limiting factor for rear droop travel on these trucks (and FJ Cruisers)...with no shock, or one that's too long...it can spit the spring out, from what I've read. Leaf springs on the rear of a Tacoma are a different animal all together.

The Bilstein 5100's are a little over an inch longer than stock when set side by side...so they definitely improve droop travel.

- Brian

I'm still not in a "new" truck yet (trying to decide on my options but the GX is a contender). I continue to look at your thread for inspiration Brian and think your GX is one of the best. Now, my next question isn't based on any type of judgement, but I'm curious to know why you went with the suspension set-up you picked versus a boxed-set such as OME or Ironman. Again, not judging, just a "conversation!" Thanks!

^^^ No worries, it's a fair question!

I'm coming to the world of "off road" from the world of "motorsports" (track days, SCCA autocross, etc...) - And I know Bilstein as a worldwide leader in motorsports dampers ( <-- sorry, that sounded really salesman-like!). On a track car or racecar, I'd look to Koni or Bilstein first and foremost.

I also used them with good results on my lifted Nissan Titan (sold that several years ago)...and they were a noticeable improvement over the ProComp shocks that came with the lift kit.

So that's why I chose them...familiarity, and they are quality dampers (plus, I like the front height adjustability).

I actually spent more time picking springs - Comparing rates, advertised lift, etc...and I'm pretty happy with the result. Enough lift, but nice and soft (to not bounce me around too much when off road).

- Brian

Can I just confirm that you did not need to buy the Metal Tech Rear Coil conversion kit since you use the Harbor Freight wheel caster?
You have a Great looking GX . Thank you for sharing what you did to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

I actuall got casters from Lowes because the harbor freight wheels were only 5inches not 5.25. The wheels at Lowe's were a little bit bigger than 5 inches even though they said 5 inches on the box there a little bit more money but there are much more snug. You still need to buy the do-it-yourself kit from Metal Tech without it you can't do the conversion it's about 70 bucks including shipping

^^^Yep, the caster wheel up top is a decent alternative to OEM upper spring seats.

However, you'll still need to address the lower seat (I believe the MetalTech kit has a lower seat / spring retainer).

So it's part of the equation, but I made brackets to secure the bottom of the spring as well.

- Brian

Thanks for your replies. I went ahead and ordered from Toytech 3 inch lift w/ Bilstein Front coilovers for FJ/4Runner w/ 2" Rear Lift "Superflex" coil springs. I also ordered the DIY metal tech conversion kit and will buy the Caster wheel for the upper spring seats. Did I miss anything else? I am having my mechanic install it this weekend and want to make sure all the parts are there.

Sounds like you nailed it nick. When you get the rear springs take them to Lowes with you and test fit the different 5in casters until you find the ones that fit the snuggest.

Will do thanks for the tip. I also bought the Apex hid kits high and low per your good reviews. I will be buying the level 8 rims too but on a size 18 since I have a set of Duratracs 275/65/18 with only 5k miles on them. I was hoping level 8s had rims with Silver or polished finish that I like but will settle on the anthracite grey too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Update time!

It's been a little while, and I've been lurking and reading...and tinkering in the garage.

The GX470 recently got a small upgrade: Coin pocket for the center console area! I know other members have done this (thank you for posting part numbers!)...

I was at Toyota picking up a seal...so I decided to spend the $13 and grab one of these.

Pics, 'cause we all love pics:

Old suspension switches removed, and you can see the part number for the 'pocket' -->
console-pocket-1.jpg

...and in less than 30 seconds, VOILA! (mints for scale) -->
console-pocket-2.jpg

So, there's that. But the real reason for this update is actually a confession. I have to come clean to you guys. I feel like I've sold out (or maybe I sold out when I bought the Lexus, and now I've returned to my roots...?1??!??!?!?)...

o_O

...or are you just saving up for a far superior 60 series?

My brother, @ufg8r , is wise beyond his years. Or he could just see my lust for his FJ60 when I came to visit.

Well, I couldn't hold back any longer. Found an '87 FJ60 for sale, somewhat locally...with a SBC motor swapped in, Ranger box (overdrive gearbox/adapter), OME lift, 33x12.50's, etc, etc...and I couldn't resist.

FJ60-jennings-forest.jpg

FJ60-on-beach.jpg

It's been a couple months since I bought it, and I'm tinkering with it nearly every day...as it needs a lot of TLC, like any 30 year old project vehicle.

I'll probably relegate the Lexus to daily driver duties, and maybe the occasional trip through the forest (maybe to the gun range)...but the "project" portion of my GX470 has pretty much come to a close.

I'll be sticking around here, as the 120-series is what started me down this road...I can't forget that.

But look for a build thread from me in the 60-series forum at some point soon.

- Brian

Great build!
You have the blueprint for very similar mods I have in the works for mine.
Thank you for taking the time to document your progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom