Builds '05 GX470 "build"... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great thread. Haha, I just did the opposite. I (very sadly) sold my FJ62 for a GX470. Looked like the fraternal twin of your new baby.

IMG_2866.jpg

Great build!
You have the blueprint for very similar mods I have in the works for mine.
Thank you for taking the time to document your progress.

Thanks...and I'm happy to post/share. I've gained a lot of knowledge here...just doing my part and giving back.

Great thread. Haha, I just did the opposite. I (very sadly) sold my FJ62 for a GX470...

Funny how that goes...

Enjoy your GX470, they really are great trucks.

- Brian

Are you using any part at all of the MetalTech rear coil conversion kit, or did you source isolators separately (or go without)? The $60 kit looks like it'd be effectively replaced by the HF castor wheels and generic spring isolators, but the expensive kit comes with much fancier stuff.

I believe the HF castors ended up being a squeaky annoyance and is not recommended. Just buy the $60 kit from MT and source the Isolator online with the Toyota part number.
Ahh okay, thanks!

I believe the HF castors ended up being a squeaky annoyance and is not recommended. Just buy the $60 kit from MT and source the Isolator online with the Toyota part number.

Looks like it's been about a year since I updated this thread...wow. So, to address that ^^^ (squeaky rear springs)...yes, mine were creaking when I went over decent bumps. Metal springs moving on the metal upper spring perch...wasn't obvious at first, seemed to develop over time.

I honestly couldn't hear it all the time, and only when the windows were down...but it's clear that the upper end of the spring was twisting as it compressed and uncompressed...and that made a little noise.

There needs to be something between the spring and the metal...anything would do, really. But I figured I'd add a small amount of height PLUS fix the chance of creaking / squeaking when I had a couple free hours this weekend.

To that end, I pulled the rear springs and put a 1/2" thick piece of HDPE on top of them (basically, cutting board material...high density plastic).

Here's a couple pics:

rear-spring-spacer-isolator.jpg

And installed, with new grade 8 hardware:
rear-spring-spacer-isolator-installed.jpg

That plastic is really tough, and should allow the spring to twist without making noise.

Added exactly 1/2" in height, as you would expect.

So, other than this minor update...I've done nothing but drive the truck around town, and occasionally to the national forest with my kids. I've found nothing not to like about the GX470...just wish I lived somewhere where I could get if off road a little more!

- Brian

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I just read through this forum yesterday and I must say thank you to orion for being a lifesaver on some of these topics. The detailed processes help a ton. Here is my 07 470.

lexus 3.jpg

lexus 1.jpg

Also on the topic of rear shocks, when you were saying the shock is pretty much the limiter on your travel. Here is a picture of my buddies FJ with long travel shocks and only 3in Pro Comp lift springs (his long travel springs are on backorder)

FJ 1.jpg

Where I differed on the install was by NOT using FJ Cruiser upper spring perches (something like $60/each, no thanks). I was brainstorming on how to keep the spring centered in the upper perch, and came across an idea at Harbor Freight (yikes!).

upper-spring-seat-1.jpg

Solid plastic caster, 5.25" diameter, $6. It's not holding any load, it's just keeping the spring in place and centered. The spring is riding on the metal upper perch where the airbag used to reside.

Another pic, installed:

upper-spring-seat-2.jpg

Works great, no creaks or moans from the the rear suspension...and should be very durable in this role.

So this takes place of the conical upper spring isolators. Did you use the Metaltech kit for the bottom?

Also, what size bolt did you use to bolt the caster to the body underside?

Thanks

So this takes place of the conical upper spring isolators...

Yes...the caster wheel is my DIY / cheap-ass method to keep the spring centered in the upper "cup". See above on this page, though - With the spring directly on the metal, it was squeaky on occasion...so plan to make something to go between the spring and the frame.

Did you use the Metaltech kit for the bottom?
I made my own lower spring retainers - The springs sit directly on the 'bump' on the axle where the airbags sat, and I bolted on a metal retainer to hold the springs down.

Also, what size bolt did you use to bolt the caster to the body underside?

3/8-16 bolt...just long enough to go through the caster wheel, plastic isolator / spacer, and hole in the upper cup. Nylon lock nut + washer used on top.

Hope that helps...

- Brian

^^^ Thanks!

For a quick update post here at lunchtime...here's a shot of the rear WeatherTech cargo mat, cut out for the tie down points and 3rd row seat attachment points:

View attachment 1658576

Can't take credit for the idea, someone else on here (I believe, maybe Club Lexus?) posted a similar picture...and I thought it was a great option.

I'll try to post about my front suspension install, and my custom trailer hitch receiver "install" tonight.

- Brian

whats the parts number for the weather tech mat you used?

Looks like it was #41240

2005 Lexus GX | Cargo Mat and Trunk Liner for Cars SUVs and Minivans | WeatherTech

EDIT 7/2018:

Sold my GX470 last weekend :(

I didn't think that was worthy of 'bumping' this thread, so I figured I would just put an edit here, for posterity.

The new owner will use it properly, I'm sure. And I really enjoyed owning and driving it - Great vehicles. I'll still be around 'Mud, of course...have a couple 60-series to keep me busy these days.

- Brian

Last edited:
whats the parts number for the weather tech mat you used?

Keep in mind the part number is different if you're RSES-equipped or not. The front passenger mat is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom