02 Beast's 100 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The wife let me join the club!! We purchased our 2002 UZJ100 last weekend. It is stock for now, but can't wait to start the mods...
19 July (2).jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! I've had my 02 for almost a year and love it...

When someone posts that you should've gotten an 03 or newer for the 5-speed and redesigned dash IGNORE THEM! :rolleyes: Everyone thinks their year is the best to own, and I'm sure the 200 guys with their 380hp and 6-speeds look down on 100s like some 100 guys do our "older" versions.

Great color choice too...

Thanks BManning,
I read your reply's about the 00-02 tranny and manifold being less than par. Have you had any problems or found any new info on this issue?
I have only had mine (75,000 miles) for a week, but I have noticed a slight "clunk" when shifting into drive...

I wouldn't worry much about the clunk unless it becomes fairly pronounced; by nature, these all-wheel-drive trucks will develop a bit of "slack" in the driveline. My 80 had it the entire time I owned it, never was an issue (once I got used to it!). If it becomes bad, though, have your u-joints checked out. If you care to, searching "cruiser clunk" will give you reading for hours! In many cases it seems a driveshaft (prop shaft in Toy speak) lube clears up the issue, at least temporarily.

Manifold cracking is a known issue on many models years, and yes, some 00s, 01s, and 02s had transmissions go south. Far from all, though; remember, these forums are awesome sources of info and fun but they reside in a vacuum-- it would be easy to start believing that ALL 98-99s are unsafe rolling death traps, that ALL 00-02s have crappy trannys, that ALL AHC-equipped vehicles will suffer suspension issues, etc.

The logic I apply: for every issue you read about, there are probably easily 50+ trucks of the same model year that haven't had the problem and never will.

It's great to know what to keep an eye on, but it's easy to succumb to paranoia about a problem you might never actually have! Took me YEARS of fixing things that weren't broke to come to this :idea:.

Nice looking rig! I wouldn't worry much about the "clunk." I've had a minor clunk for the last 85K with no issues. Now watch, tomorrow my tranny will die! Lubing the driveshaft per the FSM specs may help.

I'll trade you my death trap '99 with a non clunky tranny for your '02 with a tranny that will probbably fail while you are reading this if you want...i'm just that kind of nice...:D I only have 115k on the clock and big ole tires, plus they are the same color, so you won't be losing anything at all. Think of it this way, you'll GAIN a rear locker!!!! :cheers: welcome to the obsession!!!

Trade

Thanks 99UZJay,
I think I'll have to pass on the trade- :hmm: -way to happy with it and the "clunk".
I think my wife and I both have ulcers having it shipped across country two weeks ago... :bang:

Anyone know where to get the Toyota Factory Service Manuals? I saw a posting on here to contact Cruiser Dan??? Are people really paying $100+++ for them?? That money could go towards tires/lift...

Last edited:
Anyone know where to get the Toyota Factory Service Manuals? I saw a posting on here to contact Cruiser Dan??? Are people really paying $100+++ for them?? That money could go towards tires/lift...

I found a used set on Ebay a few years ago for $80. Still expensive, but they have saved me 10X that!

Manuals

$80 isn't bad. I have had a good manual for every vehicle, I just don't want to get something cheap and not accurate for the Cruiser. I guess I'll have to keep a look out, thanks.

I got one for my 80 off fleabay and I just swapped the good old 1FZ last week. It has great info, and worth every penny. I am lucky that my cousin works for lexus, and I got the lx470 manual on CD from him, it kicks it pretty hard as far as searching for particulars...Buy it by whatever means necessary, esp for the timing belt/water pump/starter R&R

If you want to do the mechanical work on your 100 on your own, the FSM's will save you time and headaches. They are a good reference. AFAIK, CDan doesn't sell FSM's.

LC looks great!

How do those tires ride? Are they extra stiff since they are load range e? Thanks.

They really aren't that bad. I think it rides better now with the lift and tires. The DuraTracs are a very aggressive AT and even being load E, are surprisingly quiet and smooth. I had some 35 inch Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on a truck and you could hardly hear the radio, so these are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom