Steering Knuckle Centering Gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a little problem

I am replacing the seals and bearings in my steering knuckles. It looks like it is a REALLY good idea to have on hand the Toyota SST "Steering Knuckle Centering Gauge" (number 09628-60013). This is the one used to measure the shim thickness on top and bottom and to ensure the proper preload.

I can not find one to rent. And I'd rather not pay the $250 to buy one.

Has anyone run into a similar problem and come up with some sort of home-brewed solution? If so, your help/suggestions would be much obliged.

If you are just changing the bearings and not the knuckles or housing, then you can just reuse the same shims as long as you keep them straight when you take it apart. If the preload is off, add or remove shims to the top to get it right. The purpose of the shim set up it to ensure that the spindle bore is concentric with the axle seal bore so that it will seal properly. By reusing the old shims, you will probably be close enough.

dengerin said:
So I have a little problem

I am replacing the seals and bearings in my steering knuckles. It looks like it is a REALLY good idea to have on hand the Toyota SST "Steering Knuckle Centering Gauge" (number 09628-60013). This is the one used to measure the shim thickness on top and bottom and to ensure the proper preload.

I can not find one to rent. And I'd rather not pay the $250 to buy one.

Has anyone run into a similar problem and come up with some sort of home-brewed solution? If so, your help/suggestions would be much obliged.
I went to the website of the company (SPX Company, toyota.spx.com) that provides the dealerships with Toyota SST tools; the part number for Steering Knuckle Centering Gauge for Landcruisers is listed as 09634-60013. You would need to call their toll free number to see if it covers your year. You will be pleasantly surprised at the cost of factory SST tools from this company versus purchasing them from the dealership. I've purchased numerous SST tools at very reasonable prices; for example:
Pilot Bearing Removal Tool ($30), 09303-55010
Rear Seal Installation Tool ($34), 09223-60010
Gear Shift Lever Remover ($34), 09305-55010
http://toyota.spx.com/detail.aspx?id=416

There was a writeup of a homemade tool for knuckle alignment in Jan 96 Toyota Trails. I have a poor quality but legible scan I can email. Send me a PM with your addy.

Cheers, Blake

crushr said:
There was a writeup of a homemade tool for knuckle alignment in Jan 96 Toyota Trails. I have a poor quality but legible scan I can email. Send me a PM with your addy.

Cheers, Blake

This article?
Courtesy of Morgan Fletcher:
knuckle_sst-1.jpg

page 2:
knuckle_sst-2.jpg

bsevans said:
I went to the website of the company (SPX Company, toyota.spx.com) that provides the dealerships with Toyota SST tools; the part number for Steering Knuckle Centering Gauge for Landcruisers is listed as 09634-60013. You would need to call their toll free number to see if it covers your year. You will be pleasantly surprised at the cost of factory SST tools from this company versus purchasing them from the dealership. I've purchased numerous SST tools at very reasonable prices; for example:
Pilot Bearing Removal Tool ($30), 09303-55010
Rear Seal Installation Tool ($34), 09223-60010
Gear Shift Lever Remover ($34), 09305-55010
http://toyota.spx.com/detail.aspx?id=416

Just ordered one for 113.00 and was in stock!

My seals have been leaking for a long time, time to do it right

thanks for the link

In the future if anyone needs it just pay ups back and forth

Not trying to hijack this thread, but is there a SST, homemade equivalent, or trick to remove steering arms?

I did it when I rebuilt my axle on my 40. Maybe I just haven't gone thru the learning curve yet, but will be rebuilding my axle on my 55 soon and would like some tricks or tools to make it easier.

Thanks for the scanned article and link to the website.

Brian

Yes, there is a SST for that purpose, but you can make a substitute cheaply. Get a 4 inch (approx.) piece of 1/2 ID pipe, a 3 inch x 1/2 inch (fine thread works better) bolt and a couple of nuts. Cut the head off the bolt and grind to a conical point. Thread the nuts all the way on and insert the threaded end into the pipe. Insert the tool into the knuckle and start turning the nuts to press the arm of bearing cap out. When you get one cap out, reinstall it w/o the cone washers so that you can use it to press against to get the other end out.

PinHead,

Is there anyway to ask you to post a pic of that tool? I will definately make one.

Thanks,

Brian

Pin_Head said:
Yes, there is a SST for that purpose, but you can make a substitute cheaply. Get a 4 inch (approx.) piece of 1/2 ID pipe, a 3 inch x 1/2 inch (fine thread works better) bolt and a couple of nuts. Cut the head off the bolt and grind to a conical point. Thread the nuts all the way on and insert the threaded end into the pipe. Insert the tool into the knuckle and start turning the nuts to press the arm of bearing cap out. When you get one cap out, reinstall it w/o the cone washers so that you can use it to press against to get the other end out.
Nice! How do you keep the bolt from spinning?

AZkick-n40 said:
PinHead,

Is there anyway to ask you to post a pic of that tool? I will definately make one.

I threw it in the scrap pile when I was done with it and I don't know if I can fish it out. It looks like a short piece of pipe and a bolt with the non-threaded end sharpened. Not much to it.

Mr. Toad said:
Nice! How do you keep the bolt from spinning?

The wrench on the outer nut.

I just ordered one from spx/toyota tools for 112.00 bucks, easier than making one!

For those of us too lazy to get it dead on, Marlin Crawler is selling a new axle tube seal that has a ton of flexibility in it...It will allow for being off center by a ton more than you would ever actually be, and not leak...Check it out.
Not affiliated, but Marlin makes great stuff, and this looks pretty slick to me!

Cheers!

For those of us too lazy to get it dead on, Marlin Crawler is selling a new axle tube seal that has a ton of flexibility in it...It will allow for being off center by a ton more than you would ever actually be, and not leak...Check it out.
Not affiliated, but Marlin makes great stuff, and this looks pretty slick to me!

Cheers!

BINGO! I wish I knew about this when I did the 55 knuckles, good stuff.

Cheers!

X2 Every SST tool Thread should have a mention of marnin's seals Ive got no leaks since installing them (granted it was only a month or 2 ago) but i got some miles on them!

They have much more tolerance for a misaligned knuckle, Ive never used an SST

Just ordered one for 113.00 and was in stock!

My seals have been leaking for a long time, time to do it right

thanks for the link

In the future if anyone needs it just pay ups back and forth

Toyland, is this offer still good?

I am going to mount 60 knuckles on a 55 housing. The 60 knuckles are already dis-assembled, so I have no idea what shims were on the bottom...

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom