Alum. Radiator Install/SB 350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would post up some pics of my latest project, a 28" x 19" x 3" aluminum crossflow radiator with Extreme BlackMagic fan to cool my SB350. I just got tired of trying to make the stock LC radiator work with unsatisfactory results... the stock LC radiator IMO was NOT designed to cool a SB350, but the straight six LC motor.

I used the stock LC bracket, cut it about 1/2" from frame height and welded some angle iron on the bottom to mount the aluminim radiator. The radiator sits approx 1/4-1/2" off of the frame, I did this to allow body flex on extreme angles. If anybody needs lower mount pictures I can try and post some. The Black Magic fan pulls 3300 CFM and only draws 18 amps. Also has a built in shroud that fits perfectly on this radiator, its a great combination. Summit claims this radiator will cool a 350-400 HP V8 with no problems.

Needless to say, drove it around town last week and she never broke 185 degrees, my old stock LC radiator would run 195-200 around town. I have already noticed a 15 degree drop in temperature! Fan is on an auto thermostat with toggle switch to over ride. I picked the radiator up for $169 from Summit and the fan was $250. Total install price with new hoses/clamps and radiator fluid was $450. This radiator has a much larger fluid capacity than the stock LC radiator.

Just an idea, I know V8 cooling has always been a hot topic. The true test will be the 105 degree day, time will tell.
Tires for sale 010.jpg
Tires for sale 007.jpg

Last edited:
Top view shot
Tires for sale 009.jpg

sweeeet that looks good, great pics too, i think i will be making the uprade shortly, mine gets a litle too warm for my taste.

Bracket Picks

If anybody needs lower mount pictures I can try and post some.

Would like to see what those brackets look like.
If you could post them that would be great!
Like others fighting the cooling issue.

Thanks

That looks great:grinpimp: . I just finished installing a Howe 342-24
19x24 crossflow on my 67. I ended up flattening out the stock core support where it had the angles on the bottom, so it was shaped more like a square, welded some 3/8 round stock across the front towards the top and bottom, and at the bottom two sides so the tanks could have a place to rest. I used fuel line around the round stock to act as a cushion against the tanks, and used some flat bar with some heater hose on the back of the core support to lightly clamp the radiator in its place.
The flexalite/no shroud is not the ideal setup, but I plan on rigging up a electric pusher fan in a few months when it starts getting warmer.
So now that I have disclosed my white trash fab techniques, I'd have to say I hope this setup will work well. We'll see;)
howe.JPG

pretty awesome. wish I would have done that system when I replaced my failed radi this summer (which is under my Worst Mod). my newer radi keeps me good on my SBC 350, but it heats up while crawling. that is a clean setup you have. I would like to see the brakcets you had to fashion for future reference if I end up having to go this route.

I am working today, this weekend I will try and get some lower photos taken for you.

Another mount. Works so far, support is spaced for a PS cooler to fit in the middle.

Bret
rad mt sm.JPG
rad sup sm.JPG

Looks great, nice job on the install. I am sure you have much better success with that radiator over the stock LC setup. I also noticed you have no overflow tank, I just ordered one from Summit for $20 with a site-gauge, thought that was a pretty fair price. Unfortunately, they are on backorder right now and I wont be recieving it for another week or so.

Bret said:
Another mount. Works so far, support is spaced for a PS cooler to fit in the middle.

Bret

Nice thought of adding the rubber spacers, looks like a very clean install. Is that your power steering box above the frame rail? I have never seen a setup like that before.

Yes, it's a 60 PS box. works very well so far. Thanks to Mark W. for the initial idea and the Trails for a backup.

Funny

Just today I pulled out my be-cool and had a leak fixed in it. While I was at it I pulled the rusted out mount plate and cleaned it all up and painted it. My setup's not quite as pretty as these but then again it's a bit older of a mod. My radiator cores are rather narrow but it's super wide but it's always kept it real cool.

The mount is a simple design that works, the PO just never painted it I guess so it was super rusted. Looks blingin now though. It's similar to your guys'. Rambling....

I'll post a pic tomorrow after paint dries and I'm installing it. Cool thread!

:beer:

[QUOTE, a 29" x 19" x 3" aluminum crossflow radiator

. I picked the radiator up for $189 from Summit

What was the item number? I had trouble finding it on the web site.
Looks like I am in need of one. After building my sliders today. When I got home the rad had sprung a leak.
Thanks

This is the exact one I went with: SUM-380328 (28x19x2 3/4) $159

This one will fit (2" wider) with minor trimming of inner fenderwell and headlight bezel modifications: SUM-380331 (30x19x2 3/4) $169

For the price, you just cant beat it. Seeing as Man-A-Fre sells a STOCK size aluminum radiator for $600 that will not even come close to this size.

Good luck!

Last edited:
That looks real nice, how does it cool with no shroud? That radiator looks like the stock 5.7L Vortec radiator that is in my 1997 GMC truck, correct?

Fman, you talkin to me?

It's a Be-Cool of some measurements I'm not sure of, could measure it if need be. So it may be similar to a stock truck rad but this one's not OEM.

"How does it cool with no shroud?" It's like magic I tell ya. :D

I also am running the flexalite direct fan on the water pump which seems to help. It had a 3rd fan on it (2nd electrical fan) but it crapped out last fall. Took it out and it has never climbed over 180 or so all winter, we'll see what summer brings and I may put another back on.

Hawk,
Does your rad/rad support fit between or over the frame rails?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom