Question about interior carpet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50 said:
Just stay away from JT Outfitters's carpets. I've got the complete set in my 62, and the fit is mediocre, but the quality is horrendous. My grey carpet has huge pink areas where it's gotten wet (just from water, too), and the front section lacks the plastic runners along the sides. Only 100 bucks per section, but trust me, you end up with what you pay for. Bad investment on my part. I say OEM all the way.

bummer! i was looking at the black one as a possible replacement. So back to the drawing board...

dogboy2 said:
if I were to do it all over again, I think I might opt for custom cutting my own pieces out of high quality marine grade carpet to match the factory shapes -- a little more work, but this route would wear even better than the OEM, IMHO...

Has anyone done the marine carpet setup? sounds like a good way to go... Any idea on $$? if it's more than OEM, i don't think i would do it.

Thanks for all the ideas...now i am back where i started. lol

Rob

I was thinking the vinyl carpet so that if rust becomes a problem from inside or outside, then it will be easy to deal with. With line-x, an air chisel would be necessary to fix rust under the coating, while a vinyl carpet would be easy to just pick up.

:beer:

Marine carpet is the cheapest, but I was just going to put in the back....

Lowe's has some nice stuff in 6' rolls, about 8lf of it should run around $30

I also found a large rubber mat at Tractor Supply that could be cut to fit for about $65

sl33py said:
bummer! i was looking at the black one as a possible replacement. So back to the drawing board...

Has anyone done the marine carpet setup? sounds like a good way to go... Any idea on $$? if it's more than OEM, i don't think i would do it.

Thanks for all the ideas...now i am back where i started. lol

Rob

i got a six foot roll at Home Depot that is a little more heavy duty than the stock carpet (thicker backing i believe) for $2.99/lf. enough to do the back and up the back of the back seat. haven't gotten around to installing it yet though. i was just going to pull out the old stuff and use it for a template. haven't decided if i want to mess with trying to do the same with the front or not. i'll post pick of the back when i get around to getting it installed later this summer.

so where are the toyota parts gurus? :cool:

The vinyl stock setup would be SWEET! If anyone finds parts numbers and prices that would help.

I would probably go for a rubber insert in the back, something that can hold wet gear w/o spilling. I have seen them in a few places - $$! the ones with raised edges to hold in dirt/water.

rob

Send a PM or call up C-Dan. He'll find it for ya if it exists.

I'm going the vinyl route when the time comes, sometime before this August. Should have a decent used brown carpet set FS when I get there, the only wear is slight and around the cargo hooks in the rear.

I yhink best thing to do is simply go buy a used carpet. There are few 60s in the junk yard now with decent carpet locally here. I would try that route, then just get the carpet cleaned. I agree about the comments of rhino (or other type of) lining then carpeting...

What about Line-Xing the floor, leaving space for drain holes, and then putting vinyl over it? That would be cool.

was reading the threads on carpets this am, was thinking vinyl would be cool as mine has carpet as i just imported it from seattle, phoned toyota canada today and they said noway, obsolete stock, marine carpet snapped in place sounds like plan B as I have to do my ski boat also in the next few weeks

Tinker said:
PMd CruiserDan & he said no dice on the OEM vinyl. Chime in on yours, Steve-O!

Ours is basically a factory moulded set, very durable, cleans easy, nice and thick etc. Because most people have custom set-ups, you will have to cut out holes for everything to line up right. For the most part it fits pretty good, kinda of a hassle to put in, but no carpet is technically "easy" as far as I am concerned. I too would suggest doing a coating underneath any carpet/vinly kit you put in. Line-x, rhino, even dynamat will sound nice and keep heat out.

Thanks, Steve

That seems like the general consensus.

I was browsing around Radd Cruisers, and I saw that they roll on liners on your interior for around $500. It looks like you drive your truck in, they take the interior apart and line it, and then they put it back together. My problem is that they are in Georgia, and I am in New York. Is there any shops farther north that do this for us cruiser geeks?

Your problem is bigger than that.

Radd Crusiers is located on Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada!

Tally ho.

Steve-O said:
Ours is basically a factory moulded set, very durable, cleans easy, nice and thick etc. Because most people have custom set-ups, you will have to cut out holes for everything to line up right. For the most part it fits pretty good, kinda of a hassle to put in, but no carpet is technically "easy" as far as I am concerned. I too would suggest doing a coating underneath any carpet/vinly kit you put in. Line-x, rhino, even dynamat will sound nice and keep heat out.

Thanks, Steve

Hey Steve does your front section have those black plastic runners on the sides that OEM carpets do? I was pretty pissed to have to transplant the (broken) plastic runners from my OEM carpet to my JT carpet :frown:

Cutting the holes is no big deal, but stain resistance, those plastic runners, and good edge protection are the big points for me.

Radd is in Canada. Whoops! :rolleyes:

Two of the businesses that are advertised at the top of the forum are located in the deep south. I still don't have anyone that is relatively close to me (British Columbia is still quite the ride.)

Exiled said:
1981-83 Canada-spec BJ60's came in both the STD and the G trim, the STD's all had vynil floors. I don't know what the part number is, but the molded vynil floors for the 60 series should still be available from Toyota, it might be interesting to see what the pricing is compared to the carpet.

The US may have gotten the short end of the stick, but every Land Cruiser model is available in some markets with the vynil floor, even the 100 series.

any suggestions on where someone could pick up a STD trim vynil floor?? used or newer or new

Spook50 said:
Just stay away from JT Outfitters's carpets. I've got the complete set in my 62, and the fit is mediocre, but the quality is horrendous. My grey carpet has huge pink areas where it's gotten wet (just from water, too), and the front section lacks the plastic runners along the sides. Only 100 bucks per section, but trust me, you end up with what you pay for. Bad investment on my part. I say OEM all the way.

I put JT Outfitters grey FJ60 carpet (front and mid sections) in my 87 FJ60, and it's held up very well thus far. Now granted, the carpet was purchased in the fall of 2001, so I don't know if the quality has deteriorated or not since I've purchased mine. I liked the JT carpet because it was custom molded and formed, unlike other carpet kits in the market (Like CCOT), and it also came with the extra sound deadening material on the back, again unlike other aftermarket carpet I had inspected. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the carpet was courser looped than the fine looped style of the orginal, and, that it didn't come with the gas pedal rubber wear pad, on the heel pad. I asked JT to add the gas pedal wear pad, but they ignored my request. I solved the lack of plastic runners by simply removing them from my old carpet (they're only stapled on), and reattaching them to the new carpet after I laid it in and had it fully fitted, and had carefully trimmed the excess. I had a heavy duty stappler to reattach the plastic runners. It was very simple job to do.

When I was done, the carpet actually fit better than new OEM set of carpet I had installed in my 83 FJ60. I had purchased the OEM set from CCOT, had a few sets left in stock, but by the time I bought the 87 FJ60, they were sold out, and the carpet was discontinued from the dealer.

The carpet is actually made by a company in California if I recall. I bet it can be purchased directly from them, at a savings from JT outfitters prices.

The CCOT Aussie floor mats for FJ60s are very nice, however, they are pricey, and, CCOT indicates they don't have sufficient demand to justify a minumum purchase amount.

Here is Photo and part number of my FJ62's vinyl floor mat.
My FJ62 has STD trim

Front :58510-90A77-06
Rear : 58540-90A79-06
Cargo : 58581-90A08-06

Vinyl mat is only availabe as sepia brown color.
Main merit of vinyl mat is dust free and easy to clean :D

DSCF0970.jpg

DSCF0972.jpg

DSCF1906.jpg

Last edited:
schaats said:
Here is Photo and part number of my FJ62's vinyl floor mat.
My FJ62 has STD trim

Front :58510-90A77-06
Rear : 58540-90A79-06
Cargo : 58581-90A08-06

Vinyl mat is only availabe as sepia brown color.
Main merit of vinyl mat is dust free and easy to clean :D

that is exactly what i am looking for. are the floors the same in 60 and 62?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom