4 speed transmission to 3 spd transfer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I'm lookin to put my 68 3 spd transfer to my 76(i think) 4 speed transmission. Do I need anything to make it work or can I just slap the 2 together. Thanks

How much do you want for just the gear? Or do you want to sell them together? Is the gear new or used?

CruisinTiger said:
Hey I'm lookin to put my 68 3 spd transfer to my 76(i think) 4 speed transmission. Do I need anything to make it work or can I just slap the 2 together. Thanks

As CruisinGA says the bearing and transition gear. You'll also need the shift linkages from a 4 speed transfer case since the three speed linkages do not work. The shift rod that the front drive fork is bolted to is also longer on a four speed and will be required.
I've been through this on the FJ55 so if you have further questions post up.

The tech archive on this by Jim Toepper has been lost! Can someone please repost it for us newbies? Do we also need a plate adapter from AA to make this work?

What bolts do I need to attach the xfer to the tranny?? I have heard I need the 4spd xfer case bolts for this.

Jody.

I'm pretty sure I used the same bolts I had when it was bolted to the 3 speed. Not 100% sure though.

I read that the bolts were the same pitch but slightly longer. Thanks for the updated link!

I put a 3-sp on my 4 sp tranny. The bolts from the 4 sp worked just fine.

BTW, will a PTO still work, or do I need a longer shaft from PTO to winch?

timbercruiser said:

As they should....

The PTO shaft will need to be longer, as the four speed tranny is longer than the three speed it replaced...

Good luck!

-Steve

timbercruiser said:

A PTO still works.... with a 4 speed PTO gear. The three speed PTO gear doesn't work.

When bolting a "3speed" transfer to a 4 speed tranny use the bolts that secured the 4 speed transer to the 4 speed tranny.

cruiser_guy said:
A PTO still works.... with a 4 speed PTO gear. The three speed PTO gear doesn't work.

Why not?
Are those harder to find than a 3 speed version?

timbercruiser said:
Why not?

*most* four speed trucks did not come with a pto gear, but a spacer...

I have a few gears if you need one...

pm me.

-Steve

timbercruiser said:
Why not?

Like they said, most 4 speed trucks don't have the gear and the three speed gear is the wrong spline count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom