how do I pull rear axle shafts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1980 FJ-40. I'm taking the rear diff apart and I'm just wondering if there is anything to know before I pull the axle shafts from the housing. I've removed the brake assembly and the backing plates. Before I get too aggressive with pulling the axles I want to make sure that there"s nothing holding the axles from inside the diff. I've never had a rear apart on a Cruiser before. Lots of older toyota trucks and celicas. Is it the same sort of setup? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

is it full floating or semi floating?

If they are Full floaters , theres nothing holding the shafts in the housing, loosen nuts , release cone washers by hitting stud end with copper drift. there are 2 threaded holes in the end of the drive shaft , screw in an M8 bolt which will break the gasket and you will then be able to pull the shaft. Take care not to damage the oil seal in the end of the stub axle, unless you plan replacing it.
:beer:

I'm not sure what floating refers to. I can say that I did see a video on removing the shafts and there were bolts and a plate at the end of the axle with a bearing inside. Mine isn't like that. The flange that the wheel bolts to is part of the shaft.

This is a Full floating axle on a BJ42,
IMG_0313.jpg

Yeah. Mine must not be full floating. It has two brake cylinders and the shaft is on the wheel flange. Thanks.

you will need to take the diff cover off, remove a bolt, slide the center piece out, remove the "C" clips then the axle shafts will slide out.

Sometimes? You always have to slide it in to clear the side gears. once the c clip is removed the axle will slide out, take car as to not slide the axle across the seal... you kinda have to lift just a little.

Thanks so much. I figured there was something I was missing. I'm heading to the barn right now and get this thing apart. Cheers.

Sometimes? You always have to slide it in to clear the side gears. once the c clip is removed the axle will slide out, take car as to not slide the axle across the seal... you kinda have to lift just a little.

I knew it worked for mine, but wasn't sure if it applied to all of them. Thanks for clearing that up!

Be careful once you get those c-clips out, you don't want to rotate anything or your gears will fall out! It's a pain in the ass.

Good luck when the spider gears go a tumbling on you. Pita

There are some good instructions on ARB's website. All you need is there first couple of pages for the air locker install for the FJ40. It has the information you need...

Just did this last week.

Pull the bolt. Pull the pin and the block inside.
P3090006Web.jpg
P3090009Web.jpg
P3090010Web.jpg

Push the axle in and the c clip will fall off or you can pull it. Then pull the axle. If you rotate the two axles relative to each other the little spider gears will fall in a position that that makes it a puzzle to get out.
P3090012Web.jpg
P3090015Web.jpg
P3090016Web.jpg

I can't believe you have to go into the diff just to pull the axles just so you can change out axle bearings and seals. Anyone know how to remove the wheel cylinders On a 78 fj40. I think mine are just rusted in place, because they won't budge after I removed the 4 little bolts.

On my '72 they were tight in the hole in the backing plate. There is a small shoulder on the wheel cylinder that fits in the plate. After removing the bolts I tapped on the cylinder to try and rotate it in the hole. Once it started to moved I worked it out.

Look at wheel cylinders at CCOT and you can see how it fits. Gives you a little more information about where you can hit with a hammer. Soft hammer or wood block and hammer.

Push the axle in and the c clip will fall off or you can pull it. Then pull the axle. If you rotate the two axles relative to each other the little spider gears will fall in a position that that makes it a puzzle to get out.

Also, make sure you get the thrust washers back in position when putting it back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom