Ammonia Smell? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have owned my 2000 LC for about a year and a half. Twice during that time i have had the distinct smell of ammonia while driving. Both times it lasted for about 5 minutes and the outside temp was similar, about low to mid 70's.

any ideas? Thanks.

A/C running at the time or not? IF A/C running.... was it set on outside air or recirculate?

A/C was not running and was set on outside air (90% sure on the outside air)

Do you have Cabin Filters in front of your Evaporator? Some Land Cruisers have them...others not. I believe all LX's do.

These (if not changed) will catch and hold a lot of debris which can produce a foul smell. I can't think of anything about your vehicle that would be 'temperature' specific though.

A small leak in the bottom of your evaporator would let refrigerant and PAG oil escape. They have a pungent smell that could possibly be mistaken for ammonia.

I've experienced this too. Not sure what is causing it...

Were there any diesel trucks in front of you at the time? Low sulfur diesel still makes a bit of SO2

I've experienced this too. Not sure what is causing it...

^^^^^ It's probably 'TRUMP'.

I mean...he gets blamed for everything else. Right ? ;)

If I were you, I'd still open up the cabin filter cavity. Mine was jammed full of wet leaves and dirt and other crap, causing funky smells.

While you are in there you might as well get the replacement cabin filter cover and put filters in (if you don't already have filters).

checking to see if I have cabin filters is on the do list.

No diesel trucks near me.

A/C does not work. My compressor does not turn on. Also on my to do list is to check for the corroded rear lines and cap them off if that is the problem. Been that way since I bought it.

checking to see if I have cabin filters is on the do list.

No diesel trucks near me.

A/C does not work. My compressor does not turn on. Also on my to do list is to check for the corroded rear lines and cap them off if that is the problem. Been that way since I bought it.
Did you ever figure this out? Mine is doing the same thing. Only during mid-heavy acceleration.

Did you ever figure this out? Mine is doing the same thing. Only during mid-heavy acceleration.
I would check the accessory belt pulleys; if one of them is starting to go out, then you might notice it first at higher RPMs.

You know, I have experienced something similar on our Sequoia... with the back window rolled down. Before the engine was fully warmed-up, and then during mid-heavy acceleration, some ammonia-like exhaust smell would get sucked into the cabin. I say ammonia-like because it is a faint odor, but is definitely stings your nostrils that way ammonia does. Were your rear wing-windows open by chance?

You know, I have experienced something similar on our Sequoia... with the back window rolled down. Before the engine was fully warmed-up, and then during mid-heavy acceleration, some ammonia-like exhaust smell would get sucked into the cabin. I say ammonia-like because it is a faint odor, but is definitely stings your nostrils that way ammonia does. Were your rear wing-windows open by chance?
Mine is a very pungent ammonia smell and it smacks you in the face any time any window is down.

I get 100% the same thing but only if if I drive with the rear hatch open (hauling a couch etc). I had imagined it was the cat or something with the exhaust.

In your scenario it seems something is causing the exhaust to creep back towards the cabin, maybe an exhaust leak somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom