Exhaust smell in cabin at startup especially cold start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! I have a 2001 LC100 with about 165k. 5-10 seconds after start up, especially when the vehicle is cold, I am notice a particularly noxious exhaust smell in the cabin that has a little bit of a diesel exhaust smell (perhaps there is oil pooing in a cylinder as the vehicle sits). It seems to dissipate after another 10-15 seconds. It is not present well driving or idling in place, such as at a stoplight, and the vehicle runs very well (smooth as glass idle at about 600 RPM, reasonable 15-16 MPG and good acceleration). In the recent past, I have also smelt unburnt gasoline when exiting the vehicle 30-60 seconds after startup to close my property's entry gate, but the strong cabin exhaust smell is definitely recent. I suspect the fact that it has been colder out the last couple of weeks (20- 40 F) may play a role, although I have never noticed this issue in past cold seasons. I do have and have had an exhaust manifold leak for many years and rarely have I ever noticed any substantial smell in the cabin. The telltale ticking has only lasted a short while before going away as the manifold warms. Lately, however, I am not noticing the ticking as much on startup.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experienced something similar? Is there anything specific I should check that might help narrow the culprit down?

Do you have a leaky exhaust manifold? Do you have fresh air mode on? Is the wind traveling from rear or the car to front?

Given your situation, it could be related to various factors such as a cold-start enrichment, exhaust manifold leak, or possibly issues with combustion. Checking the exhaust system, including the manifold and catalytic converter, may be a good start

Charcoal canister needs replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom