BJ40 Identification help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.overland-cruisers.co.uk
Hi,

I am trying to pin down the identity of a left hand drive BJ40 that we have in the shop.

I cannot find any reference to the Unit. 140 or N-7397 on the ID plate in the engine bay and there aren't any other plates on the car.

Any pointers?

Thanks

1000016819.jpg

What is stamped on the frame for the vin?

that doesnt look like toyota stamping....i dont recall seeing a reverse stamped tag before, i also do not recall see them using anything other than rivets to hold them on either.

that doesnt look like toyota stamping....i dont recall seeing a reverse stamped tag before, i also do not recall see them using anything other than rivets to hold them on either.
The plate looks similar to a lot we see from around the world and not really bothered whether riveted or bolted - having a plate there is a good start :)

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 10-21-42 ToyoDIY.com Vehicle Selection.png

The model number is supposed to be on the line where yours has the VIN. The ID plate is an odd-ball. They show up from some export markets. Actually I'm surprised the VIN came up.

I have not encountered a plate before that has info like "unit # such and such". My suspicion is that it may be a "distributor-generated" tag for a vehicle that could have been part of a large fleet order for a government or NGO entity. This is a wild-ass-guess however.

The model number is supposed to be on the line where yours has the VIN. The ID plate is an odd-ball. They show up from some export markets. Actually I'm surprised the VIN came up.
We get all sorts of mongrels coming out of Africa or Asia and some driven over from Aus, but odd to have a left hooker here that isn't from the US. It may have come from Europe.

The style of VIN plate is quite common for jap imports, but the Frame info is really odd, the only references I could find were to some US military links

Left-hand drives will be "Europe" or "general countries". IE Middle East, South America, Africa.

The US never got BJ40s.

Hello,

Since it is a LHD truck, chances are it is a BJ40 from Costa Rica.

The lettering suggests it is a truck that was assembled from a CKD. The relief in Japanese units is different.

Back in the day, Costa Rica assembled 40 Series Land Cruisers from CKD kits. Their VIN plates had UNIT and N- in them.

40 Series trucks assembled in New Zealand have similar VIN plates. They are RHD, though.

Juan

Hello,

Since it is a LHD truck, chances are it is a BJ40 from Costa Rica.

The lettering suggests it is a truck that was assembled from a CKD. The relief in Japanese units is different.

Back in the day, Costa Rica assembled 40 Series Land Cruisers from CKD kits. Their VIN plates had UNIT and N- in them.

40 Series trucks assembled in New Zealand have similar VIN plates. They are RHD, though.

Juan
Perfect, thank you, should help a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom