Engine recommendations (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quadrajet carb. I am not able to identify it further. Fuel injection would sure be nice but the ~$2500-3000 for the parts give me pause. I am glad to get input from other people who have been down these roads before. Most of the time I think it is best to ‘cry once’ and spend the money up front and not regret it later. This one I was not sure at all which route to go.
IMG_3162.jpeg

Quadrajet carb. I am not able to identify it further. Fuel injection would sure be nice but the ~$2500-3000 for the parts give me pause. I am glad to get input from other people who have been down these roads before. Most of the time I think it is best to ‘cry once’ and spend the money up front and not regret it later. This one I was not sure at all which route to go.
I paid $550 for my 5.3, stock harness and ecu. Had the delete done to ecu for $75. Throw another $800 for misc bobs and boops. Slipped right in place of my 350. I personally think the Sniper is a bit to expensive unless you have a ton of time and cash in your gen 1 SBC.

All that being said, carburetors were successfully used for years. There’s more than one that’ll work in any given situation. And they’re relatively cheap.

It's a qjet. I circled where the carb # is, with that you can get a rebuild kit. It's probably set up to be relatively generic carb, so it can be used in multiple applications. It may be tricky to ID the jets and rods because they're probably not marked. You might be able to find a local shop familiar with setting up the carb for your elevation. They may know what sizes to install, ask around.

For the stalling on inclines, take the top off and measure the float height and adjust to about 3/8" to 7/16".

IMG_3162.jpeg

I vote 3fe or 2f. I just swapped out my SBC for a 2f (just what engine came up for sale first) remember you have to cut off the sbc mounts for that. As they always say all the little things will nickle and dime you. I always thought a 1kzte diesel would be really cool with a 5speed. its alot of work for that though. If I ever get another 40 I might try that.

Original frame side motor mounts can be a challenge to find. Bolting them back on through the rivet holes is also a challenge. I used button head bolts for the three motor mounts, steering gear mount and the two front tub mounts. You can see how the two front motor mounts are slotted to adjust the position of the 3fe.

View attachment 3590999
Ill check when I get home I actually might have the front two motor mounts. I ended up with two sets.

Pretty much any engine swap of any flavor is gonna cost a lot more than simply fixing the shortcomings of what you have now. I am not a fan of holleys. I have nothing against sbcs, but not a lot of love either. But the fact of the matter is that you already have the sbc. You need to address carb issues and get it acting right, not swap the motor out because of tuning and adjustment problems. A little bit of attention paid to it and a Qjet, a carter/eldebrock and even a holley can handle the inclines. Not as well as efi, but well enough you will not complain. A GM TBI swap is damn simple too for that matter.

Mark...

You could use a gm i6 292 motor. Would feel like a 2f but probably have a lot more parts support.
Interesting, particularly when in the USA.
Does it is a bolt on swap, e.g. to the Toyota gearbox and/or motor mounts?

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I've researched it. I think it might bolt to a 1f bellhousing but can't remember. It's probably the same bellhousing pattern as a small block chevy. You would have to research. Lots of parts availability though. Even hopup parts: HEAD Lump Ported Intake 72cc Stage 1 250 / 292 Chevy Inline 6 Cylinder - https://mrhotrod6.myshopify.com/products/74cc-stage-1-intake-lump-ported-head-250-292-chevy-inline-6-cylinder?variant=1142522453

It's been a long time since I've researched it. I think it might bolt to a 1f bellhousing but can't remember. It's probably the same bellhousing pattern as a small block chevy. You would have to research. Lots of parts availability though. Even hopup parts: HEAD Lump Ported Intake 72cc Stage 1 250 / 292 Chevy Inline 6 Cylinder - https://mrhotrod6.myshopify.com/products/74cc-stage-1-intake-lump-ported-head-250-292-chevy-inline-6-cylinder?variant=1142522453

Never really dealt with this but what I remember is the J30 three speed would bolt to the GM bellhousing with a spacer Infront of the three speed. SM420 got the answer F series engine was the reverse. It required a wider pilot bearing to deal with the shorter input shaft on the SM420. May be wrong and sure someone will correct me if I am.

Just by the look of it I'd say early 70's Q-Jet. If you want a good rebuild I'd send it off to the Tune Up & Carb Shop. They're generally reasonable and they specialize in Rochesters.

19730 SW Cipole Rd Ste 1 Tualatin, OR 97062
(503) 625-6900

No website. No bul$hit. Tony knows what he's doing. People send stuff in from around the country now. Call and arrange a rebuild. Helps if you know your cam specs but if it's mild it shouldn't be a problem if you don't. You'll have to set your own idle.

Never really dealt with this but what I remember is the J30 three speed would bolt to the GM bellhousing with a spacer Infront of the three speed. SM420 got the answer F series engine was the reverse. It required a wider pilot bearing to deal with the shorter input shaft on the SM420. May be wrong and sure someone will correct me if I am.
I did a little bit of research on this before I decided to go 2f. the 292 and SBC take the same bell housing. It maybe the same motor mount location (I did not get that far looking into it. it would have been cheeper for me to go 292 because because I already had a chevy bell housing bolted up to the 3peed. Its a pretty cool engine. does not bolt up directly to a 3 speed You do need a spacer that is about 3/4 inches thick in between the bell housing and transmission and the bearing cover is chevy. but I ditched all that stuff to go to a 2f and stock j30 with a 3 on the tree. I put a picture of a 292 in a 40 I saw for sell in my thread. Builds - Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/salt-wagon-my-first-fj40-build.1297967/page-38

the 4speed needsa whole different bell housing.

I am watching this. I have a ‘72 with a 305 mated to the stock 3 speed. It came out of AZ so pretty much rust free. Unfortunately PO I think mounted up the engine back close to firewall so not having to change driveshafts but switched front to back in doing so the engine overheats at idle. I read in Downey catalog years ago the Chevy needs to be spaced forward away firewall. Has stock radiator. Not sure if all this is true but mine definitely overheats. I’m trying to decide what to do with the thing. It will be the first one sold to thin the heard. I don’t want to sell to someone with problems and it’s not very enjoyable to drive with the 3 speed. I appreciate @Mark W thoughts and working with what I have. Maybe I’ll try a bigger radiator and see what happens. But I’ve thought about rebuilding a 2f I have along with a 4 speed tranny or sticking a nv4500 in it and redoing engine placement and driveshafts. Both probably a can of worms. Any advice is appreciated. Hi jack over.

Jason

I am watching this. I have a ‘72 with a 305 mated to the stock 3 speed. It came out of AZ so pretty much rust free. Unfortunately PO I think mounted up the engine back close to firewall so not having to change driveshafts but switched front to back in doing so the engine overheats at idle. I read in Downey catalog years ago the Chevy needs to be spaced forward away firewall. Has stock radiator. Not sure if all this is true but mine definitely overheats. I’m trying to decide what to do with the thing. It will be the first one sold to thin the heard. I don’t want to sell to someone with problems and it’s not very enjoyable to drive with the 3 speed. I appreciate @Mark W thoughts and working with what I have. Maybe I’ll try a bigger radiator and see what happens. But I’ve thought about rebuilding a 2f I have along with a 4 speed tranny or sticking a nv4500 in it and redoing engine placement and driveshafts. Both probably a can of worms. Any advice is appreciated. Hi jack over.

Jason

Proper engine placement is important. Are running a good fan and shroud? Fyi, I enjoy my sbc/nv4500. I agree, you should start a new thread.

Another engine option is a gm 4200. They make full torque below 2000k rpm.

Stout little motor. 800+ ponies before sacrificing the “stock” bottom end..🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom