**NFS WORK DAY RESCHEDULED** Peter's Mill/Taskers Gap Trail Workday May 11, 2024 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We will meet 9AM in the parking lot of the trail on Edinburg Gap Road Approximate Lat/Long: N 38º 47’ 19.1” W 78º 30’ 49.2”
Directions:
Take exit 279 off I-81. Turn east on State Route 675. In the center of Edinburg (T-intersection), turn north (left) onto US Highway 11. At the north end of Edinburg, turn right onto State Route 675 (Edinburg Gap Road) . Follow State Route 675 east to the top of Massanutten Mountain to Edinburg Gap parking lot is on the right.
If you are coming from the south and want a nice ride from Warrenton come 211 west to Luray get off at 340. Take it south to main st ( 211 business). Turn right go about 1 mile to Bixlers Ferry Rd and you will follow it 5 miles across the north fork of the Shenandoah river and make a left on Egypt Bend rd go less than a 1/4 mile and make a right on Ft Valley Rd ( will take you over the mountain and has amazing views) Take it about 4 miles to Edinburg Gap rd and turn left go up the hill to the parking area.
Don't be surprised if a bunch of the area is burned to a crisp. They did a controlled burn Wednesday so some of it might be crispy.

IMG_4642.jpeg

Last edited:
We should not need a letter.

I will send you copies of the authorization letter you'll need to be behind the closed/locked gates. Every vehicle must have a letter or you are subject to be ticketed for unauthorized use of a restricted area.

We should not need a letter.
Oh, I was just going of the first post that started the thread

Stay tuned folks there has been a massive number of wildfires in the last 4 hours that have affected the entire area. Today hundreds of acres went up and the 40 mph winds just pushed them everywhere. Ft valley has been evacuated and the entire south Mountian is still burning. The night view shows the fire goes all the way up the mountain

347CB91E-A465-4169-AB52-FE6BB4C6866B.jpeg

IMG_5750.jpeg

The forecasters have stated there is a medium/high likelihood of heavy rain in the region Saturday morning and afternoon from a weather system that is supposed to spin up in the Gulf on Friday. Are we going to do this regardless, or is there a rainy-day alternative?

The forecasters have stated there is a medium/high likelihood of heavy rain in the region Saturday morning and afternoon from a weather system that is supposed to spin up in the Gulf on Friday. Are we going to do this regardless, or is there a rainy-day alternative?
I am not sure the US forestry service staff has been heavily involved in fighting the fire for the last 24 hours. I do not know if they will have staff or the energy to be able to do the trail cleanup.

So whats the plan? Are we still doing this @1MOA whats the conditions like
I just got off the phone with Stephanie at USFS Edinburg and she said that as of right now the Forestry Service has closed all trails and has fire crews out working the area. ( There is a state of Emergency declared for Shenandoah and Page counties)
Because of that they are saying the WORK ON THE 23RD IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
Fort Valley Road has been closed on the Shenandoah side and Egypt Bend on the Page county side and they are trying to contain the fire. I think 10 homes have been burned down so far and the fire is approximately 10% contained.

@StaleAle with that said do you want to modify the title to showing cancelled, thank you @1MOA for the information, keep us posted and stay safe

pray for rain guys! It’s a bad situation.
I was able to change the title.

Update: the page county side of the fires covers 2700 acres. And is about 10% contained.
Update on the fires in Page County from the VDOF (excluding E Rocky Branch fire)

Fire Size:
211 West – 2,000 acres
Shenandoah Forest – 120 acres
Serenity Ridge – 600 acres

Containment:
o 211 West – 0 %
o Shenandoah Forest – 10%
o Serenity Ridge – 0%

Significant Events:
o Really good progress today
o Dozer lines established around communities

• DOF Resources (on-scene): 24
• DCR Resources (on-scene or enroute): 11
• DWR Resources (on-scene): 5
• TOTAL: 40

Equipment:
• DOF Engine 612
• DOF Engine 609
• DCR Engine
• 3 DCR UTV’s
• 5 DOF Dozers
• SEAT

IMG_4712.jpeg

Well just got word that the trail clean up is on … but moved to 11am. If you go that is great however.
I will not be there as to access this I now have to go down to Harrisonburg cross the Mountian at 33 get on 81 then go all the way back up to Edinburg to get to access. And they are calling for over 1” of rain. ( hope that helps with the fire)

the southern MD crew wont be there. We figure we might as will let the fire crews do their thing and let the rain do its job. It will be a miserable day with smoke and rain. We say lets go up once all this has cleared on another weekend

I agree with @TRDdrew. With all the rain it is going to really REALLY suck to work in. I can drive down to meet with the WATR people if they show up.

National Forest Service has canceled work day do to a fire close by.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom