What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After months of researching, debating, and looking, finally put down a deposit on a hundy.
Clean out west; bone stock 05 LX470 with 201k, of course found it through here!
Should be a fun roadtrip home, hoping I enjoy it as much if not more than my LR3!

IMG_1762.JPG

In a never-ending pursuit of "change for change sake", I un-lifted my rig and put the stock roof rack back on. It was surprisingly easy to swap springs, maybe due to Icon shocks having more travel? But I only disconnected the sway bar and the springs pretty much came right out. Didn't even have to take the wheel off on the second. Fwiw stock springs weigh about 0.8 lbs more than OME and have 1 more coil.

This all stems from moving to a 1920s garage that only used to fit if the roof is bare. But having soured on aftermarket racks I reinstalled the stock. But then we couldn't fit in the garage. Previous Owner did a full suspension upgrade with OME 2860 springs. So by going back to stock coils I recovered the inches I lost to the roof rack, and can now fit into the garage again...in a pinch!

Our use case is flying down usfs roads for overnighters with the kids so the OME springs were excess stiffness and height we didn't need anyway. The only down side may be when towing the boat, which definitely appreciated the stiffer springs.

OME 2860 are for sale btw.

Unpaved test run tomorrow...

IMG_0151.jpeg

IMG_0138.jpeg

IMG_0139.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg

IMG_0479.jpeg

Oil change and did the TPMS disable mod. No more low tire light! So satisfying not having any lights on the dash again.

I swapped my diff bushing out for a new one. It has made a world of difference. OEM had failed and coming back on throttle was met with a cabin shaking boom. The jack is not supporting my 100, it is there to hold the skid plate up.

I then went to the gym, and realized that the diff bushing swap was the workout, but netted a cool picture.

IMG_6796.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 8.40.59 PM.png

Replaced the steering rack today. OEM new. Boy that was fun. Only had to remove driver side engine mount bolts, raise engine for access. Opted to remove the driver side CV axle. Not necessary, but gives more room to get at the intermediate shaft bolts and rack lines. Also gaines visibility.

Test drove. Steering wheel is perfectly straight, equal turns left to right and drives straight. Still going to get it aligned.

20240310_153707.jpg
20240310_151027.jpg
20240310_153701.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced the steering rack today. OEM new. Boy that was fun. Only had to remove driver side engine mount bolts, raise engine for access. Opted to remove the driver side CV axle. Not necessary, but gives more room to get at the intermediate shaft bolts and rack lines. Also gaines visibility.

Test drove. Steering wheel is perfectly straight, equal turns left to right and drives straight. Still going to get it aligned.

View attachment 3579124View attachment 3579125
Very sweet! Love to see when others do what I usually do: improvise with all jacks/ stands you have in the driveway :)

View attachment 3579124View attachment 3579125View attachment 3579252
How many miles? Mine seems to be moving that way…

How many miles? Mine seems to be moving that way…

230k. The previous owner replaced the rack bushings at some point. I did inner tie rods about a year ago. Then last week the rack puked tons of fluid all over my driveway.

Needing a rack at 200k miles is pretty normal for a Toyota truck.

I was looking for the ash tray delete bracket to mount my Scanguage III but it was sold out, so I decided to see what I could come up with instead. Some 16 Ga metal, three rivets and hour later I had a bracket! Originally I was going to use an adjustable bracket from an Auxbeam switch that I had and attach it to first plate, but then made an add on plate that didn’t stick out as far. If there were to be version two, then the whole piece could be cut as one and folded down to the desired angle.

IMG_4662.jpeg
IMG_4663.jpeg
IMG_4661.jpeg
IMG_4665.jpeg
IMG_4668.jpeg

Got after fitting my 37” tires.

Didn’t really need to do much other than pinch weld fold, trim mudflap, and front plastic bumper cover.

I did decide to take it further, and set it to ‘L’ and ensured it all cleared.

It was somewhat exploration for doing this exact task to our other 100.

With a 2” body lift, you can readily trim sheet metal back at the pinch weld. There are around 2-3” before you get near the inner panels.

So, made a slice, welded in a flat plate, added some JB weld to seal it all nicely, and a final spray of paint.

This is left front, I kept the OEM body plug. I didn’t bother on the right.

IMG_1677.jpeg

IMG_1678.jpeg

IMG_1679.jpeg

Doesn't really fit to the general topics mentioned here, but I think it might get more attention here than in classifieds:
Put up my 4 stock wheels this week ;-D

Pick up in Bay Area, CA in exchange for a six pack of your favorite beer :)

Same color, black garnet. The pictures are deceiving. Clear coat had failed on roof and tops of doors, handles, mirrors.. Front end (hoods and fenders) and part of the rear d pillars had a cheap repaint done some time ago.

Same color, black garnet. The pictures are deceiving. Clear coat had failed on roof and tops of doors, handles, mirrors.. Front end (hoods and fenders) and part of the rear d pillars had a cheap repaint done some time ago.
My thundercloud has failed clear as well. Curious on what you are paying for a respray? You can PM if you'd prefer, just trying to get some ball parks. I've been 2K - 10K...

My thundercloud has failed clear as well. Curious on what you are paying for a respray? You can PM if you'd prefer, just trying to get some ball parks. I've been 2K - 10K...
Also interested in pricing.

First time I tried Lamin-X and they turned out great. Quite impressed how it compliments an LED light source.View attachment 3580730
Headlights off, just the Rigid 6” SR series SAE.
Perfect timing for this post - I literally just bought a Laminex packet for my Rigids this week! Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom