Builds SLOW 71 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update... As you know I've been waiting for some time for axle shafts since Oct. Front Range Offroad says I'm in " Queue " 🤷‍♂️ for shafts and RVC said they had some problems and my order got lost, so it will be 6 to 8 weeks before they make me a set of shafts. I've two sets ordered and still can't get something done. Anyway, Winter is here in MO. and starting to focus on shop stuff. I've got a list of things to repair or replace, etc. that should keep me busy until the shafts get here.
Here's what today produced. No reason for the driver's side grill other than to match passenger side.

View attachment 3529886

View attachment 3529887

Another ten pounds added to the pig.
The Knorr brothers helped me take a few pounds off mine

Oops, forgot pic

IMG_6164.jpeg

Update... As you know I've been waiting for some time for axle shafts since Oct. Front Range Offroad says I'm in " Queue " 🤷‍♂️ for shafts and RVC said they had some problems and my order got lost, so it will be 6 to 8 weeks before they make me a set of shafts. I've two sets ordered and still can't get something done. Anyway, Winter is here in MO. and starting to focus on shop stuff. I've got a list of things to repair or replace, etc. that should keep me busy until the shafts get here.
Here's what today produced. No reason for the driver's side grill other than to match passenger side.

View attachment 3529886

View attachment 3529887

Another ten pounds added to the pig.
She is going to need a diet soon!

Unless you like 'em thicker than a Snicker...

I've been stashing parts all Winter while waiting for the axle shafts. I gave up on Front Range and contacted RVC axle shafts direct. They made a set for me and have assured me the shafts will be here this week. I'm not icing up the beer yet, but did start the rebuild. I had new 5/8" ubolts made because the old ones had been totally ground off including half of the bottom plate. Amazing how quick that all ground off sliding down the road.

IMG_4704.JPG

Tomorrow the rebuild starts and what a mess of parts. All this time I thought that wheel hub was for an FJ60, they came with the Diamond axle kit. I found out they are from an early IFS 4runner or pickup. FJ60 spindle, bearings and seals all work in it. sticking with EBC rotors and pads. I like to put a little paint on all that bare metal, helps hold off the rust. New Diamond drive flanges, thanks to Yotamasters for those, as Front Range wouldn't answer any emails and Yotamasters had them on the shelve. I can put all this together and put in the pumpkin while waiting for the shafts, then simply slide them in.

IMG_4703.JPG

Oh, I've been staying busy with other messes. I had to replace that gray solenoid on the right and while in there, redid some things. That led to pulling the whole dash apart. Oops, no picture of that mess. Speedhut sent me some new gauges, now my speedo only goes to 120 not 160, guess I'll have to let off the skinny pedal. :) The fuel gauge was acting wonky, so they replaced that also. A new rocker switch for the air compressor (and fixed an air leak), which is run by that new solenoid. All good now.

All I wanted was to go camping. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_4692.JPG

You know how you think of something in the middle of the night, well I remembered about that brass bushing in the spindle. I had a clearance problem with my front Longfield shafts not wanting to fit the bushing. I had to ream out the bushing a tad for the shaft to slide in, I know a life long problem for me.:grinpimp: Anyway I better wait for the RVCs to show up before putting all this together and wind up taking it apart. Sounds like a good day to split firewood. Hurry up and wait some more.

IMG_4705.JPG

I can't give the right answer, but they are needed in the spindle to keep the shaft from moving around like in the front. They came for Front Range like that, so I assumed they knew more than me. I'm not sure how the FJ70 full float axle is set up, but these spindles are for an FJ60. What's your thoughts? I've been running them in there for eights years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom