What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (36 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have a part # for the bulb? Need to replace mine too.

I think you mean blub.

blub.JPG

84999-10310

Last edited:
Do you have a part # for the bulb? Need to replace mine too.
BTW- you can easily pry the switch out from the top with a plastic pry tool. No need to take the center console apart. I didn't even unplug the connector from the switch. The bulb takes a small flat head to unscrew.

Received 4 new, current production OEM AHC globes from IMPEX Japan… and Zeal AHC shock extensions from Japan 4x4.

Installed today… Went from 8 graduations High to Low up to 14 graduations… the drive feels the same, perhaps a bit tighter body control in the rear. Only have 102,000 miles on the original AHC globes, but in 20 years, I would imagine that the nitrogen pressure has gone down a bit. Wanted to start fresh.

If you do the AHC shock extensions, be sure to check for CV boot clearance to the shock extensions bracket. Mine would barely touch the CV boot at full lock, on both the left and right side shocks…

So I shaved down the shock extension brackets with a flap disc, and welded through to fuse and laminate the 2 layers of steel in the bracket. Sadly, in this process, I lost the zinc plating in that location, so I ended up prime and painting them black.

In the last photo, you can see where I changed the radius in the lower right corner of the shock extension bracket. I now have 3.5mm clearance to the CV boot at full lock.

View attachment 3184000View attachment 3184001View attachment 3184002
what is the point of the ram extensions? If you are not changing the control arm length, and thus increasing the travel, what purpose does it serve?

what is the point of the ram extensions? If you are not changing the control arm length, and thus increasing the travel, what purpose does it serve?
With AHC equipped vehicle, the only way to lift the vehicle is via AHC sensor adjustment which increases line pressure to the rams to increase the ride height. When lifted beyond normal OEM spec, the AHC pressure is above the recommended normal value set forth by Mr T., and would contribute to possible premature erosion of the ride quality and longevity of the system. Tech stream will reveal the above normal value of the increased pressures on an AHC lifted vehicle.

To counter the increased pressure, adding Zeal spacers will lower the normal ride height pressure, and assists in normalizing shock stroke length on lifted AHC vehicles.

Mine is lifted < 2”, but after adding the Zeal spacers, it behaves as a standard height vehicle… i.e., supple and compliant. Not harsh or bouncy.

Assuming Zeal = coil…?
Zeal is the branded name of the AHC strut spacers as offered by the Japanese aftermarket.

1709275001093.jpeg

Available from Dave Stedman in Japan… stedman@japan4x4.com

Having driven my AHC lifted 2002 LX without them, and then with them, In my opinion, these are WELL WORTH the time and effort…

For those that ordered the window trim piece from eBay, I just got mine yesterday and went to install it. Installation was easy, however, there were some issues:
1. The trim was more of a matte black finish and did not exactly match the LX's glossier black. This is not a deal breaker however as it is still a major improvement over the oxidized trim.
2. The fit is not as flush as the original trim. Again, not a deal breaker.
3. I started with the passenger side rear window and the eBay window trim went on easy enough. However, during the window test, the trim would lift when the window is rolled up. This due to the metallic hook that clamps to the window frame, not biting hard enough.

The unfortunate thing is that the original trim is bent beyond re-use so you'll have to wait for the replacement part to come in. Cheap is cheap.
IMG_4118.jpeg
IMG_4120.jpeg

I went back into the garage and compared the eBay window trim to the OEM window trim and noticed that the hook tabs on the eBay trim was softer (more malleable) than the OEM which is why it wasn't hooking into the window slot. I bent the trim inwards so the serrations grab and it seemed to have worked and it is no longer moving up when the window is raised. Just to be safe, I ordered a set as a backup in case the fix doesn't hold. The front window trim is trapped by the side mirror and held down by a screw in the back so those pieces did not budge when raising the window.
IMG_4123.jpeg

Since it's raining here, I didn't stop at the window trim. I decided to see how the cabin filters looked and while they weren't that bad, the cavity where the cabin filters go had a lot of leaf debris. Blew those out and vacuumed it up and put new filters in. I wasn't sure when it was last replaced but the boss is sensitive to pollen so the old one had to go. The Denso replacement filters were a fraction of 1/4 the price of the Lexus branded cabin air filters (Lexus = $30 per filter and the Denso = $15 for 2 filters).
IMG_4125.jpeg

Safelite replacing my windscreen as we speak - no rust on the windshield frame!
20240301_113632.jpg

I went back into the garage and compared the eBay window trim to the OEM window trim and noticed that the hook tabs on the eBay trim was softer (more malleable) than the OEM which is why it wasn't hooking into the window slot. I bent the trim inwards so the serrations grab and it seemed to have worked and it is no longer moving up when the window is raised. Just to be safe, I ordered a set as a backup in case the fix doesn't hold. The front window trim is trapped by the side mirror and held down by a screw in the back so those pieces did not budge when raising the window.View attachment 3570726
will check tonight and report. I tried to push it up by hand after install, but didn't roll windows up/down. Let's see.

Can confirm the matte surface, but price and "fresh" vs. to old peeling stuff is easy going for me :)

Am I seeing perforated seats? any deets on those? Look fancy!
Your eyes don't lie! Ridies perforated leather installed about a year and half ago. Been used in all kinds of weather and are still not showing much signs of wear. I am happy with them.

will check tonight and report. I tried to push it up by hand after install, but didn't roll windows up/down. Let's see.

Can confirm the matte surface, but price and "fresh" vs. to old peeling stuff is easy going for me :)
After a few cycles today, it seems to be holding. Time will tell. You're right about the price. For $46, it was worth the try to freshen up the look.

Replaced steering rack and CV boots. Long overdue. ODO has 403,000. Steering rack and CV boots are original, never been changed. Drive is smoother and more controlled. Less of a drifting boat feel going around corners, but hearing more squeaking noises now going over bumps. All said and done, I feel much more comfortable being able to take this rig on a long drive.

Did the valve cover gaskets ,retorqed the spark plugs, installed the PCV kit from Patch, installed the repaired seatbelt which cleared the airbag light. Did a small sensor lift and installed the new wheels and tires.

IMG_3373.jpeg

IMG_3367.jpeg

Did the valve cover gaskets ,retorqed the spark plugs, installed the PCV kit from Patch, installed the repaired seatbelt which cleared the airbag light. Did a small sensor lift and installed the new wheels and tires.

View attachment 3571322

That radiator top tank is looking pretty crispy… if the photo is correctly depicting a greyish/brown color, you might want to replace that radiator before that brittle plastic gives up the ghost on you.

Age and long-term exposure to antifreeze coolant tend to leach plasticize out of the plastic material that the tanks are made from. When they change color like that, it is giving you fair warning that it has become brittle and the clock is ticking until it is no longer liquid tight…

I recently changed my original radiator to new OEM for the exact same issue. I found the top tank more affected than the bottom tank.

Items like this is when preventive maintenance is worth its weight gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom