Builds 76 Fj40 Face Lift (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seats are in epoxy.

0AF6B48F-9BCE-40E4-A518-D01B576854DA.jpeg

Never to be seen, the “unsung” seat bases. Looking good in a fresh coat of black satin.

63936021-8987-4D28-AC58-46CF0A5D46FD.jpeg

View attachment 3537019

What the… I love what I am seeing. Don’t know what I am seeing and really interested.

There is some custom work coming up Ref: AC/Heat. Can’t spoil it for the able bodied craftsman 😉.

@Jdc1

Last edited:
@Chungas Revenge thanks for that link…. I’m looking for heat and assembling pieces and parts….

Which OldAir model did you go with?

View attachment 3537019

What the… I love what I am seeing. Don’t know what I am seeing and really interested.

Which OldAir model did you go with?

What you see in the pics is the “mock up kit”.

“Mockup Case for Old Air Products Hurricane A/C Heat and Defrost Systems

The Hurricane Mockup Case is designed to test fit into vehicle and check for clearance to make sure the Hurricane unit will fit into the correct mounting location.

There are correctly placed stickers to show where the fittings exit the case on the 1000/1100 (high exit), 2000/2100 (side exit/clean firewall), and 3000/3100 (low exit) units.

Included is both the standard defrost plenum and the 90 degree defrost adapter for checking proper fit and clearance based on your application.”

Last edited:
I will say this…. There is a ton of advance planning that had to have gone into this project. Looks like you have covered many bases. Do you feel that you will have it finished and realize you wanted to do something now too inaccessible to justify? I also believe that as a Land Cruiser person, you already know most of what is and what could never be. How much more familiar with it do you wish you were?

I will say this…. There is a ton of advance planning that had to have gone into this project. Looks like you have covered many bases. Do you feel that you will have it finished and realize you wanted to do something now too inaccessible to justify? I also believe that as a Land Cruiser person, you already know most of what is and what could never be. How much more familiar with it do you wish you were?

As you know, they’re basic vehicles. I don’t think there’s anything that’s really out of reach. I’ve looked at 1Fz-F or Fe engine and drive train swaps (5spd/split case). I like the idea of keeping it in the “Yotaverse” should the need ever arise.

Currently, there‘s a new to me, 4speed/TCase in it now and the mule also has 3.70 gearing with taller tires for the “rubber overdrive”. Hunting/fishing duty is the only off road travel use I anticipate doing. I wouldn’t be adding AC but the Mrs has recently taken a shine to “our Land Cruiser”.

So, Im not sure the “juice would be worth the squeeze” to do any major muscle movements on it now.

Last edited:
@Chungas Revenge …that’s good to hear that you’ve got a defined want and need for the cruiser as you have written. I frankly feel that same way about mine. There are a few changes from stock that I really enjoy…and they are common additions…Power Steering, Air Conditioning, disk brakes and some suspension improvements. The fact that newer model years already have these straight from Toyota shows they were in demand anyway

Back in the mid ‘70’s my FJ40 was the only vehicle I had but did take it through some crazy 4 wheeling stunts and activities on day trips with the good ole’ boys who teased the hell out of me. To them, NOT being a Jeep, it was just an unknown 4 wheel drive vehicle. These guys all had 2nd vehicles for their day to day needs and could beat the pi55 out of their stuff…..but I used my Land Cruiser for off road and turnpike drives over 10 hours one-way to visit my parents. Looking back, had I damaged something underneath on the logging roads….I could not afford the repairs or the loss of work to fix anything… it never failed.

That FJ40 has more intestinal fortitude than many other multi-use / multi- purpose vehicles and mine did it so well. I read your entries with great interest, like it was a story of building a vehicle that was never existed before and doing this as you want and need yet it is all guided by having been a Land Cruiser guy previously ( que the violins)🎻

Just because…

Adding some of the body seams for purely aesthetic reasons. Not trying to fool anyone with contour trickery :cautious:, just giving the AQ body more of the traditional/original “look”. There are quit a few nuances to the AQ tub that required “Smart guy above my pay grade” solutions. Especially in the HT application, seat(s), tank cover modifications Etc etc. I know @Jdc1 has something up his sleeve in terms off an After Action Review and some solid TTP’s that are forthcoming at the “end of the build BBQ. 🎟🍻😎

“Wilson Victory Dance”. Dan the Man has definitely made his way into the Lexicon of Mule 2.0

5AE56521-A2D1-4F38-B272-D180458604B2.jpeg

89FAC0C8-BD9D-4D09-9F73-D5BB6DBB0077.jpeg

5B34E662-4385-468F-8EC5-618AB0683A5B.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom