Builds Olive '78 Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome to see you!

Went down to Texas thanks to @CenTXFJ60 where we spun some wrenches and caught up with some folks like @bottombracket and @The Phoenician . Came home to some newly zinc'd and powdered parts. My gear reduction starter also showed up along with some fresh hardware so I popped it in. Unfortunately my new battery cable is now a little short so a 27" version is on the way. Fortunately I had some super clean connectors for the starter laying around so the swap is mindless. For now I will leave the secondary Black/White wire unplugged but if I find it needs a little extra juice I think I will relay it....more to follow.

If I'm lucky I will swap the manifold over this weekend and put on the new zinc parts....we'll see how froggy I'm feeling.

Kzr9jryh.jpg

zNJy6Jyh.jpg

a5AfoTwh.jpg

GWcjZZXh.jpg

CwYeL5eh.jpg

R8qe6ith.jpg

SVcDPG5h.jpg

RozIQxFh.jpg

gIANyz9h.jpg

D5YClLeh.jpg

JIwL2Q4h.jpg

kChiOczh.jpg
Bummed to have missed your visit.
Thanks for bringing the fusible link, I’ll head to Jimmy’s Parts Storage Emporium to grab it sometime soon.

Ian

Bummed to have missed your visit.
Thanks for bringing the fusible link, I’ll head to Jimmy’s Parts Storage Emporium to grab it sometime soon.

Ian
Absolutely - thanks for the stickers!
Good meeting you @mattressking . Your thread is motivating me to get back on my 40 project.
Now I can officially put a face to a name - I didn’t realize until now! Great meeting you Dave

Bunch of mini projects that have bothered me or on the back burner.

1. Swapped the solid state regulator plug for the correct plug from my box of spares.
2. “Installed” the oem case for winch controller
3. Spun on the oem wing nuts for battery and new oem clamp to refine the choke cable mount.
4. Ran the oem battery cable for winch temporarily while the bracket is idealized for cutoff switch…who knew the Fj62 starter cable would be an absolutely perfect fit.
5. Finally tested entire evap system and installed vcv without BVSV to egr R port. Happy to say that evap system is working 100% flawlessly and zero fuel smell now….nothing better than all oem parts. I’m still hunting for the oem bracket but the FJ62 bracket with some minor bending changes is totally sufficient, even used oem hose, clamps, vent cap since the air cleaner doesn’t have a provision, all went together perfectly.
6. Then went for a drive before the gym, flying again to Singapore for the rest of the year so this is it for toying until the new year.
7. Regapped plugs to .039….smoothed out idle ever so slightly, totally forgot that the spec changed for electronic dizzy, not very well documented.
8. Which led to a quick adjustment on carb for winter…clean bill of health for now.

IMG_6287.jpeg

IMG_6271.jpeg

IMG_6290.jpeg

IMG_6291.jpeg

IMG_6294.jpeg

Last edited:
Radical. I love the color of your truck, my wife and kids say it looks like baby poop but what do they know.

Safe travels

Had a little downtime and @The Machinist let me park in the garage while it snowed to do the galley plug and finally found a -60100-84 VR and bolted it on, along with some prettier zinc hardware.

Galley plug was quick and easy, it had been weeping for 6 months very minimally so of course I chose to wait until winter.....I might get a 12mm set screw instead of the 10mm as I prefer the flush fit. @Ackcruisers made a good point that the 150 jets are disappearing so I snagged the last two in USA stock....maybe that is all that is left? Amayama says NLA, we'll see. I used one a few years ago but never remember much difference, so I'd like to try 150/220 again....plugs are a little more gray than tan/gray so we'll see.

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-09 at 11.32.28 AM.jpeg

IMG_7088.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-09 at 11.15.36 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-09 at 11.15.36 AM.jpeg

Last edited:
Still just doing my 70mi daily commute, truck is doing great. Took a small break and ran up to Spokane/Coeur d’Alene for a ve-pump motor. Decided to stop in Pendleton for a burger and a beer…one of my last decent burgers and beers until after Singapore.

To say i bought the motor partially because the serial ends in 69 would be a lie.

IMG_8093.jpeg

IMG_8110.jpeg

IMG_8113.jpeg

IMG_8107.jpeg

IMG_8054.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom