impossible search for 1 foot of hose, im at a loss, please advise (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did the search on 'mud and found out I need Gates 5/8 Transmission oil cooler hose for the power steering return hose that's about 12 inches long. Toyota doesn't even have a part # for it because it's attached to the oil cooler assembly. I've went to 2 Autozones, 2 O'reillys, 2 Napas, and an Advanced Auto and nothing. Any idea where else to look? If someone has a chunk of it id gladly drop a few bucks by Venmo or whatever. I've attached a pic with an arrow pointing to it.

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 3.45.04 PM.png

Try a Napa or auto parts store that services commercial accounts. A lot of the big name chain stores don't have the first clue.

Apologies, I reread and see you tried Napa. I'm shocked they didn't have something that works. Around me, they are my go to for things like this. Alternatively, shops that specialize in hydraulic hoses and parts for heavy equipment or tractor trailers is another source for things like this. Half the battle might be finding an employee willing to spend time on such a small sale.

Last edited:

azrider

Since you're in Phoenix you should try

BRIDGESTONE HOSEPOWER​

3327 N 29th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85017

Phone: (602) 253-3123
Fax: (602) 258-2034

they make Hyd hoses, Just remember one thing when you're looking for this hose, make sure you tell them it NEEDS to be rated for HOT OIL service,

Look at Summit Racing and use the filter to find exactly what you want. I know for sure they have what you're looking for. I recently bought various types of hose for my build. Power steering, transmission oil cooler hose and different types of fuel hose I needed. They have hose for fittings, hose barbs, push lock, etc.

You can get the name and part number and probably find it elsewhere if you want.

My local Napa in the Phoenix area stocks bulk Gates transmission cooler hose in 3/8, 5/8, and 1/2" which you can purchase by the foot. You can also find this on Napaonline.com. This should not require any specialty vendor.

I just looked on summit racing and Napa online and don't see it. I did try the 3/8" transmission cooler hose but it is super tight and would have to heat and lube it up to get it all the way on.

I just looked on summit racing and Napa online and don't see it. I did try the 3/8" transmission cooler hose but it is super tight and would have to heat and lube it up to get it all the way on.
Tight is fine, lube it with tranny fluid and shove it on I just replaced all my rubber up front and it was not an issue. 5/8 will be substantially larger and will not be a good fit.

Tight is fine, lube it with tranny fluid and shove it on I just replaced all my rubber up front and it was not an issue. 5/8 will be substantially larger and will not be a good fit.
and you used the 3/8" transmission oil cooler hose?

My Amazon link keeps dropping off? Put 5/8" NBR Hose in Amazon search. I've used several sizes of this without any issues.
that search yields fuel line, which from what other 'mud members have said to not use.

Not sure we are all talking about the same hose. There are two sizes for PS stuff.

I believe I replaced the bigger one at my reservoir with 5/8 from Napa. Surprised you can't find it locally. I think I had some left over, let me go check - edit: nope, coolant hose, sorry

Last edited:
Some of the hose listed on Summit also has fuel line in the description but further reading shows it's good for a number of things including oil, ATF and PS fluid. Suitable pressure and temp ratings as well.

ive brought the L- shaped fitting into each one of the parts stores along with the original hose, and none of the trsmission oil cooler hoses fit on it.

I used a piece of bulk transmission hose from NAPA. Take your old one with you. "Tight is right" when it comes to fitting.

I have occasionally found things on the website of places like O'Reilly or Napa, claiming the local store had it in stock; then been told by the register jockey that it wasn't in stock; followed by showing said website to the child, them embarking on an actual physical search and victory. Often, "we don't have it" means "no one has ever asked me for that before".

cruiserdan found a hose that fit one of those. Check out this thread:

Unfortunately it appears to be discontinued.

Might find a close substitute by looking through the Gates catalog

Last edited:
When I replaced the transmission hoses on my '94 I am sure the hoses were made by Continental. Unfortunately I can't confirm this since I sold that truck a few years back. Anyway, my point is that Gates is probably not the only option out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom