obsolete part reproduction interest (3 Viewers)

how many ppl would commit for a pair of these

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm in for a set. Because how the heck can I live with out a part that I didn't know existed, and was never in my truck, but would surely put some closure on that funny open clamshell space. And because everything else I've had from @bhicks has been amazing.

also, the rigs these are available for have a completely different hazard switch,,,,, its a sealed push button much like the ODO reset button instead of the rocker switch most of us have
The older 70’s have that different hazard button and these rubber boots , toyota kept on “innovating” aka saving on cost for the later models and ditched the rubber boots and put a bigger easier to use hazard switch in it . Need to check my parts bins to see if I still have some of those boots laying around .

The older 70’s have that different hazard button and these rubber boots , toyota kept on “innovating” aka saving on cost for the later models and ditched the rubber boots and put a bigger easier to use hazard switch in it . Need to check my parts bins to see if I still have some of those boots laying around .
for some reason i seem to remember a horse hair style trim also, i get Toyota "innovating" perfectly logical, but to not trim those holes at all is kinda strange.

if you do have some i'll take a pair for sure.

Switch in question for those that don’t know

4101E347-033C-450B-B9F2-C1966115595F.jpeg

Looks like there is enough interest in this that I could at least break even on my investment on the first batch. The easiest option for me to do this would be to have the OEM rubber piece in my hands. Does anyone have one? Damaged/torn is ok as long as it's complete. I really need to see how dense/flexible the rubber is so I can determine the best filament to use. The down side is that the rubber filaments are not able to be chemically smoothed or sanded so there is no way for me to smooth out the part and hide the 3D printed lines. I can use fine layers but at close inspection you will still be able to tell the part is 3D printed no matter what I do. Not sure if that turns any of you away or not.

Looks like there is enough interest in this that I could at least break even on my investment on the first batch. The easiest option for me to do this would be to have the OEM rubber piece in my hands. Does anyone have one? Damaged/torn is ok as long as it's complete. I really need to see how dense/flexible the rubber is so I can determine the best filament to use. The down side is that the rubber filaments are not able to be chemically smoothed or sanded so there is no way for me to smooth out the part and hide the 3D printed lines. I can use fine layers but at close inspection you will still be able to tell the part is 3D printed no matter what I do. Not sure if that turns any of you away or not.

Given the hidden nature of these I don't think the visible printed lines would be much of an issue. I don't have the rubber pieces, but if it will help, I can send you a clam shell to use to check fitment or confirm measurements once you get a set of the rubber pieces to copy.

i MIGHT be able to get you a rubber piece,,, also @joekatana might have one.

edit: this is my baby, so if anybody can come up with one i'm happy to pay shipping back and forth so nobody is out anything.

Last edited:
@bhicks, the factory ones slip onto the stalks,,, the stalks have a pivot pin that needs to be removed to install, the pivot pin can be removed but its a pretty good press fit. i'm brainstorming a work around for that, seeing as how i'm not interested in a tight water resistant seal a looser opening for the stalk for easier stretching over the pin would suffice and still trim nicely.

i MIGHT be able to get you a rubber piece,,, also @joekatana might have one.

edit: this is my baby, so if anybody can come up with one i'm happy to pay shipping back and forth so nobody is out anything.
I don't need a nice one. An old faded cracked or torn one would be fine. It's a LOT easier working from the actual part then from the clam shell it fits into. The clam shell gets me the basic shape/dimensions but not the subtle details and geometry.

Thanks for the pic. Nice to see it again. My first 70 series.

🥹

That's nice to be able to see a previously owned rig being looked after and enjoyed.

Of the 5 others I have previously owned, I only sold my 60 series in excellent condition to a friend. I told him as long as he keeps it in as good of condition that he got it from me, it will only increase in value.

He proceeded to drive it into the ground. His dogs puked in the back on the carpet, and instead of getting it cleaned, he just cut out the carpet. It got stolen one night and the thieves side swiped some other vehicle on a joy ride scraping and denting the whole passenger side. Instead of getting it fixed, he pocketed the money. He let rust start to take over.

Then he had the audacity to ask me years later if I wanted to buy it back from him, needing $15,000 or more of work.

Wow, apparently I am still pissed about it, lol.

but you bought it back right.....

🥹

That's nice to be able to see a previously owned rig being looked after and enjoyed.

I am surprised to see a FRP top on it... looks very well cared for indeed.

Here is one of the last photos I had before I sold it. (No I didn't put a snorkel on it, it came that way.) I would never install a snorkel on anything I own.

IMG_1024.jpg

Here is one of the last photos I had before I sold it. (No I didn't put a snorkel on it, it came that way.) I would never install a snorkel on anything I own.
didn't I buy your old jump seats from this same guy too? If so, that is a crazy small world. Great guy.

Really cool that he shipped that stalk boot over so quickly. I'm excited to get a pair.

299794138_10104701722801739_5966926604772755259_n.jpg

View attachment 3266231
Looked better then than it does now. Beautiful original truck!

didn't I buy your old jump seats from this same guy too? If so, that is a crazy small world. Great guy.

Really cool that he shipped that stalk boot over so quickly. I'm excited to get a pair.

Yeah, you sure do have those jump seats. Common in many 73/74 series in Colombia but didn't seem to be in any other part of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom