obsolete part reproduction interest (1 Viewer)

how many ppl would commit for a pair of these

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
9087E247-B4CF-478B-A37D-EE429C50A6EE.jpeg

these two trim pieces are not available on their own, the only way to get them is with a larger assembly from a different spec'ed rig than many of us here have, that would require some fidley wiring, plug modification, different hazard switch and possibly other modification.

i'd like to see how many people want these, and maybe we can have them reproduced.

I had to go out to the shop to see I didn’t have these. I didn’t even know they existed lol.

Lets see what someone can do
Same here. It doesn't look like mine ever had those; it was pretty unmolested when I got it.

From the pic alone this seems like a very basic part. I don't know what the back side looks like so I'm not sure how complex the print will be. If it has a flat backside that gives me a flat printing surface with very little built in support and low print time then I will probably be in the $30 range for a pair. If the part needs a ton of support which means support removal, long print times, and hand sanding then they may be up to $50 for a pair. If it's a SUPER simple part I might even be able to get them down into the $20-$25 a pair. My prices include shipping to you. I will need to see some pics of this part no installed from all angles before I can get a more accurate price for a pair shipped. We chemically smooth our parts so they don't look very 3D printed.

Looking at my cruiser I think those parts should be rubber? If they were hard plastic the switch wouldn't be able to move.

Looking at my cruiser I think those parts should be rubber? If they were hard plastic the switch wouldn't be able to move.
There are a few flexible plastics we can use. Some are super soft and some are a bit more stiff. I'm not sure what is needed here but the flexible filaments are a lot more expensive and take a lot longer to print. They have to be printed at around 15-20% speed which ties up a machine for too long. It's sounding like these will definitely be in the $50 range and that may kill off any potential customers.

damnit! now im going to have to go check mine .....

sure enough BOTH of my bj70 are missing these

trump sad.gif

Last edited:
why would soft top matter?

sounds like they have to be

So are they rubber?

Hello,

Yes, they are. At least the ones I have seen firsthand in soft top 73 Series.

Moreover, the hazard light switch, referred to as Type B in the manual, has a rubber boot over it and is activated by pulling it up.

I guess these rubber grommets and rubber boots were intended to keep moisture/water out of the switches' innards.

Juan

From the pic alone this seems like a very basic part. I don't know what the back side looks like so I'm not sure how complex the print will be. If it has a flat backside that gives me a flat printing surface with very little built in support and low print time then I will probably be in the $30 range for a pair. If the part needs a ton of support which means support removal, long print times, and hand sanding then they may be up to $50 for a pair. If it's a SUPER simple part I might even be able to get them down into the $20-$25 a pair. My prices include shipping to you. I will need to see some pics of this part no installed from all angles before I can get a more accurate price for a pair shipped. We chemically smooth our parts so they don't look very 3D printed.

they are soft, rubbery or silicone would be the material, picture a funnel for the general shape. tight to the stalk and friction fitting into the rectangular hole in the column cover. i cant provide a real part for you to model off of, but i think between a couple of us we could send you a stalk assembly and a column cover so you can see and measure, or i can provide you all the pics and measurements you should need. i might even be able to mock up a mold to send you.

i wouldnt need these to be accurate for original parts, just similar, mostly just want to trim the column cover. theres also a trim piece for the tilt lever on these rigs as well, but i'm not concerned about that piece.

Hello,

Yes, they are. At least the ones I have seen firsthand in soft top 73 Series.

Moreover, the hazard light switch, referred to as Type B in the manual, has a rubber boot over it and is activated by pulling it up.

I guess these rubber grommets and rubber boots were intended to keep moisture/water out of the switches' innards.

Juan

Now that you mention it, I swear that my former FJ73 soft top had those so I went to look at an old video I had of it from the seller I bought it from. Sure enough, it did have it!

fj73.JPG

Looking up the FJ73 vin in partsouq...it looks like the part is spec as "waterproof". Example below for wiper switch. Can't get any pics of the stalks new as all of that stuff seems to be NLA.

fj732.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom