Soft Top Interest for MWB 70s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Afternoon!

I’m attempting to get a production going by Killer Toy Tops for a full soft top for 73 and 74 series landcruisers with the removable hard top and trying to gauge interest and what price people would be interested in at. My thought would be a style where you cut off the rear windows and it replaces the rear windows also, but I’m sure it would be a quick modification to have it hug the rear windows too. Anyone interested?

Good Afternoon!

I’m attempting to get a production going by Killer Toy Tops for a full soft top for 73 and 74 series landcruisers with the removable hard top and trying to gauge interest and what price people would be interested in at. My thought would be a style where you cut off the rear windows and it replaces the rear windows also, but I’m sure it would be a quick modification to have it hug the rear windows too. Anyone interested?
I think it would be easier and cheaper to make the soft top with a zip out or roll up rear window rather then hugging the rear door windows as that is a very complicated and expensive toyota part there . I know not everyone has rear removable top doors and they are expensive to find but if this becomes reality we might add a rear panel shaped like the doors that bolts in place . That should be an easier solution and get more potential customers.

I think you are going to find price being the #1 decider in this. Personally I’m not in the market as I have one and it’s one of the best mods I’ve done.

Currently we have:
OEM: $8kish and a lot of work

Jdmstan top - $6k currently, oem style, will need some work, there were reports of long wait times, not sure current status

Another top - I think South America, there was a thread about it, they build 40 tops and others, pricing vague, info vague

I guess you need to decide if you are doing and OEM style or Just a complete aftermarket style like the cheaper Jeep tops. Personally I think there is a market for a cheaper top with foldable bows. I agree with @joekatana having the user remove rear doors and use a tailgate/flat or whatever would be good. Then you have a zippered rear window and sides.
The rear door situation is the hardest to figure out. There will be very little if any takers to cut their door tops off.

There isn’t going to be a huge market overall, but if you could somehow figure out a decent looking top on the $2,800$3,500 range you’d have some takers. I have no idea if that’s realistic or not.

Here is some of the cabrio top that is NLA from @joekatana

For Sale - Soft top for 73 series - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/soft-top-for-73-series.1056350/

AC62686F-FD4A-4C30-B92F-4392A8D9F6BA.jpeg

8432E7C1-457F-46E0-AA0C-285781C132D3.jpeg

I think it would be easier and cheaper to make the soft top with a zip out or roll up rear window rather then hugging the rear door windows as that is a very complicated and expensive toyota part there . I know not everyone has rear removable top doors and they are expensive to find but if this becomes reality we might add a rear panel shaped like the doors that bolts in place . That should be an easier solution and get more potential customers.
So essentially part of the package be a built tailgate that folds down rather than ambulance doors?

So essentially part of the package be a built tailgate that folds down rather than ambulance doors?
Not necessarily part of the package as some of us have removable door tops but a valid options for those who don’t. I should look in to making that as I get many requests for the removable top doors but a lot of folks where not expecting the cost of them

Not necessarily part of the package as some of us have removable door tops but a valid options for those who don’t. I should look in to making that as I get many requests for the removable top doors but a lot of folks where not expecting the cost of them
Yeah I’m waiting on you to post some to get a shot at them, not sure how much I can afford though. I’m more inclined to just chop my doors if I can find or get a soft top created. I was hoping there’d be more interest to have one made by a reputable company.

Yeah I’m waiting on you to post some to get a shot at them, not sure how much I can afford though. I’m more inclined to just chop my doors if I can find or get a soft top created. I was hoping there’d be more interest to have one made by a reputable company.
A user before, I think crushers, had pieces made in fiberglass or at least mocked up and I seem to remember they were above $1000 just for the lowers. That was quite a few years ago.

A user before, I think crushers, had pieces made in fiberglass or at least mocked up and I seem to remember they were above $1000 just for the lowers. That was quite a few years ago.

Hello,

If I remember correctly, he convinced Gozzard (I am not sure about the spelling) to make those pieces. However, Gozzard needed a minimum quantity and a delivery schedule. Otherwise, it was not possible.

In the end, there was neither quantity nor schedule for Gozzard to make the parts.

Juan

I have a set of chopped rear doors as well as the original full doors used with my frp top.

Not selling. Just pointing out an alternative to the OEM convertible rear half doors.

WARNING, Read this before you go forward. I actually ordered my top for my KJZ73 from Topsoft in Dubai. Which is sold on Ebay via JDMSTAN soft. My order was placed on September 6 2022 and not partially delivered until August 2023 directly wihbthe company on FB. My complaint is not about the product. The soft top is amazing made in Pakistan, i received the rear frame as well. I never received the other parts to the frame. Again my complaint is not on the product, but on the communication, service, delivery and afterwards ongoing communication. I paid $2999 per the agreement never heard back until January. Then, in April i was told an additional $500 for deliver was needed. All payments done via wire transfer to Evolve and Trust Bank in NY the company name is Crystal Way Trading llc. I ended up having to create a bill of laden for Kangaroo llc in London where the soft top was held since customs bill of laden for UPS to provide US authorities was needed. After that, my product was in transit from August until September 23rd. Ut was sent to Kentucky and Arkansas not NJ where I leave. Finally ingot the softop and 3 weeks later the rear frame. Remember I was never told what was being delivered only that 2 packages were sent. I confirmed both packages were received. When I brought for mounting I was told there was missing parts. I emailed softop in September and I was told that they would reach out to Kangaroo out of London. In January again, i emailed and nothing. Finally, i emailed in March and asked them if I can pay for shipping the replacement of the missing frames. They emailed me $2000 shipping costs. Maybe through eBay you may be lucky, but if you pay them through a wire directly you at least will know whats up. Again my issue is not with the product, just the lack of communication and service. I am sure Topsoft is reading this and would contest it, ask yourself who would write this much, praise a product give details and lie about it. Ohh yeah i have all of the emails between me and Softtop. I did accept some responsibility (the customer in Dubai is never right) and offered to pay for shipping. Remember original shipping was $500, a year later for less than half of the product is $2000, fool me once … I did go to a local machinist and for $1500 he can build the frames, i rather pay him than someone in a foreign country. Now the top made in Lahore Pakistan is absolutely amazing and great quality. Ohh yeah I had recommended someone to buy tops from them, but after my ordeals that went bye bye. The dealer was set to buy 10 tops. If you need more from info from me I can provided. I am sorry this was long, but I want you to know who you dealing with at TopSoft out of Dubai. I dare anyone at TopSoft to prove me wrong. See the attached Dave.

IMG_0092.jpeg

WARNING, Read this before you go forward. I actually ordered my top for my KJZ73 from Topsoft in Dubai. Which is sold on Ebay via JDMSTAN soft. My order was placed on September 6 2022 and not partially delivered until August 2023 directly wihbthe company on FB. My complaint is not about the product. The soft top is amazing made in Pakistan, i received the rear frame as well. I never received the other parts to the frame. Again my complaint is not on the product, but on the communication, service, delivery and afterwards ongoing communication. I paid $2999 per the agreement never heard back until January. Then, in April i was told an additional $500 for deliver was needed. All payments done via wire transfer to Evolve and Trust Bank in NY the company name is Crystal Way Trading llc. I ended up having to create a bill of laden for Kangaroo llc in London where the soft top was held since customs bill of laden for UPS to provide US authorities was needed. After that, my product was in transit from August until September 23rd. Ut was sent to Kentucky and Arkansas not NJ where I leave. Finally ingot the softop and 3 weeks later the rear frame. Remember I was never told what was being delivered only that 2 packages were sent. I confirmed both packages were received. When I brought for mounting I was told there was missing parts. I emailed softop in September and I was told that they would reach out to Kangaroo out of London. In January again, i emailed and nothing. Finally, i emailed in March and asked them if I can pay for shipping the replacement of the missing frames. They emailed me $2000 shipping costs. Maybe through eBay you may be lucky, but if you pay them through a wire directly you at least will know whats up. Again my issue is not with the product, just the lack of communication and service. I am sure Topsoft is reading this and would contest it, ask yourself who would write this much, praise a product give details and lie about it. Ohh yeah i have all of the emails between me and Softtop. I did accept some responsibility (the customer in Dubai is never right) and offered to pay for shipping. Remember original shipping was $500, a year later for less than half of the product is $2000, fool me once … I did go to a local machinist and for $1500 he can build the frames, i rather pay him than someone in a foreign country. Now the top made in Lahore Pakistan is absolutely amazing and great quality. Ohh yeah I had recommended someone to buy tops from them, but after my ordeals that went bye bye. The dealer was set to buy 10 tops. If you need more from info from me I can provided. I am sorry this was long, but I want you to know who you dealing with at TopSoft out of Dubai. I dare anyone at TopSoft to prove me wrong. See the attached Dave.

View attachment 3600521
Thanks for the reply! I’ve heard some bad things about TopSoft and am going to avoid them. I spoke to Killer Toy Tops a bunch and after seeing not much interest in a big production of 70 series soft tops I talked to them about their seamstress sewing charges and it seemed fairly acceptable to me of a price per hour. So, when I get to it I’m gonna make my own brackets and frame and then drive it to them and have the soft top made. Probably will take a few years as I have a ton of projects but it’s on the list.

You’re welcome. I hate to write a negative post, especially when the product is great and the people are trying to make a living. The top that i received is of great quality definitely worth the $4k-$5k, but to await a whole year and receive an incomplete order and pay an additional fee for shipping was unacceptable. I am working with a machinist nearby in Florida, i will share the final product once it gets built in about 2-3 months and share the cost. The rear bar can be found on the internet for a reasonable price. If you find one, it will save you a headache during your build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom