Abandoned 84 FJ60 gets some love, and a 4bt! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Currently have a 2013 FRS and have been trying to replace it with a GR86.
I never had the pleasure of driving the 1st generation Toyobaru, but I do know that the 2nd generation is a phenomenal little car. I requested it nearly 6 months ago, and it finally came the same day I got back from our road trip.
I absolutely love driving it.

Today I went over to another shadetree buddy's house, and we cut off my motor mount brackets and raised them up about 4" from where they were. I now have plenty of axle uptravel clearance, but I'll have to modify my ac compressor mount to lower the compressor a bit when I'm ready to finish the hvac system.
Most importantly, I don't bottom out or hit my oil pan on big bumps in the road or when flexed out anymore. That is worth some extra engineering in the AC department later on, I think. This has been the thing holding me back from a lot of things I could have finished up on the truck, but I was afraid I was going to have to spend some real money on an SOA and cut/turn or at the very least, a shackle reversal. Now not only can I daily drive the thing without worry, but all that money I was planning to spend on the suspension can go towards making the thing nicer, and I can start traveling and camping in this rig instead of beating up my Subaru all the time. Today was a huge win for the old Trash Panda Hotel.

20230210_145438.jpg

20230210_163111.jpg

Well crap. Found my transfer case leak. Hoping to find another one before I result to having this one welded. 1 forward, 2 back....
JB weld for now to keep the oil in for now.
View attachment 3252345

View attachment 3252346
My first blue 84 had that exact same crack in the tcase. Exactly in the same spot. Someone had jb welded it and I didn’t notice it. Drove it for about 45 minutes back to the house after I bought it and it promptly puked all the gear oil down the driveway and into the street. I would be wary of trusting the jb weld to hold. That aluminum has so much oil soaked into it the epoxy doesn’t really form a nice bond. It would probably get you out of a pickle on the trail but I wouldn’t trust it long term.

My first blue 84 had that exact same crack in the tcase. Exactly in the same spot. Someone had jb welded it and I didn’t notice it. Drove it for about 45 minutes back to the house after I bought it and it promptly puked all the gear oil down the driveway and into the street. I would be wary of trusting the jb weld to hold. That aluminum has so much oil soaked into it the epoxy doesn’t really form a nice bond. It would probably get you out of a pickle on the trail but I wouldn’t trust it long term.
Did you get a new case or have it welded? I'm afraid I can't afford another case right now, those suckers are expensive!

Did you get a new case or have it welded? I'm afraid I can't afford another case right now, those suckers are expensive!
I bought a second land cruiser and stripped the 84 for parts. I ended up selling the 84 to a cruiser grave yard just to get it out of the driveway.

That crack doesn’t look too bad. You are capable of pulling that cover off while leaving the trans in the truck. Put a bag over the internals to keep them clean. Take that baby to a welder and have them fix it up. That’ll also give you a chance to inspect your t case health. You’ll have to replace the rear seal and gasket while you’re at it. Give cruiseroutfitters a call and they’ll get you the parts you need.

Over the weekend I piled the wife, kid, and dog into the 60 for a road trip into western North Carolina to get some parts for my Subaru, and made a couple of little detours for a nice hike in the mountains as well as some logging road exploration. On the way home, cruising along at 70mph or so, I heard a horrible crashing, grinding sound, and the engine died. While still coasting, I got the engine started back, and put the trans in 4th gear, and although louder than before, it still pulled fine, and shifted into 5th, and pulled, so I kept going. But after 10 minutes or so, it felt like the clutch failed all of a sudden, and would no longer pull. Once I got it stopped, I found that the truck wouldn't move in any gear, but the engine still runs fine.
$500 later, the tow truck drops us off at home, (75 miles) and I've been reading up on NV4500 failures.
It sounds like at the very least, my input shaft bearing seized and the input shaft itself has sheared off. Now I'm back at work wishing I had time to yank the trans out and troubleshoot.
20230312_120913.jpg

20230312_140735.jpg

20230312_183226.jpg

Over the weekend I piled the wife, kid, and dog into the 60 for a road trip into western North Carolina to get some parts for my Subaru, and made a couple of little detours for a nice hike in the mountains as well as some logging road exploration. On the way home, cruising along at 70mph or so, I heard a horrible crashing, grinding sound, and the engine died. While still coasting, I got the engine started back, and put the trans in 4th gear, and although louder than before, it still pulled fine, and shifted into 5th, and pulled, so I kept going. But after 10 minutes or so, it felt like the clutch failed all of a sudden, and would no longer pull. Once I got it stopped, I found that the truck wouldn't move in any gear, but the engine still runs fine.
$500 later, the tow truck drops us off at home, (75 miles) and I've been reading up on NV4500 failures.
It sounds like at the very least, my input shaft bearing seized and the input shaft itself has sheared off. Now I'm back at work wishing I had time to yank the trans out and troubleshoot. View attachment 3270960

View attachment 3270961

View attachment 3270962
Did your t case dump fluid?

Did your t case dump fluid?
No, it has been holding fluid since I patched the crack with some better epoxy. I had only seen a few drips since doing that, and had been keeping an eye on the fluid. I would love for the problem to be in the tcase rather than the transmission, but I won't really know until I get it apart.

Have you tried this? I don’t have the best pictures right now, but I’ve successfully removed and installed my transmission two or three times like this. Alone. Mount a piece of plywood onto a harbor freight transmission jack. Then drill some holes out of the plywood and mount the transmission to the plywood using the transmission mount. It’s so stable you almost have to try to tip it over. Stabbing it is a breeze as long as you have your tilt mechanisms properly lubed up. You do have to shim the transfer case to keep it from trying to tip off the back of the jack.

AA8D00B1-EB49-4438-BD90-150CD48EA14D.jpeg
1B03E94E-A000-4D76-8D55-654F37E22928.jpeg

Last week I pulled my transmission and transfer case out of the 60 to see what broke, and found a sheared input shaft, a cooked bearing and retainer, and a galled mainshaft, and a pitted countershaft gear.
Through some research, I learned that my transmission is from a Dodge with a gas engine, and has the smaller 1.125" diameter input, but if I fix it, I can use the larger diesel input shaft which is 1.25", as long as I also swap the bearing retainer, and possibly the clutch disc. I'm not 100% sure if the disc will work for both or not. The splined section may be the same?
Anyway, I am working to find some good used parts, or a whole used transmission, as well as someone who knows enough about it to know what all needs to be replaced, and how to keep it from doing this again.
The trans had been run low on oil at some point, and made some noise, but shifted fine, so I didn't sweat it. I refilled it a couple of weeks before it failed, and it was still full when I took it apart.
Anybody have some recommendations for where to find parts or a used transmission that won't cost more than my truck is worth? Every transmission shop I spoke to acted like it would be $3k to fix it and no guarantee it would last, and my nuts would fall off if I bought parts from anyone but them, etc....
I just need my cruiser back on the road so me and my kid can get back to having adventures.
20230330_111345.jpg
20230330_111921.jpg
20230330_162625.jpg
20230330_162639.jpg
20230330_163521.jpg

Dang. I beat my trans like a red headed stepchild and never broke it like that.

My synchros wore out and I picked up a new trans from these guys. Dropped shipped right to my house and it's been mint. They let me specify inputs and outputs, then even trimmed the output to my specified length AND I still have the warranty. Very happy. They won't care about your broken guts either, they'll accept that junk as a core.

Dang. I beat my trans like a red headed stepchild and never broke it like that.

My synchros wore out and I picked up a new trans from these guys. Dropped shipped right to my house and it's been mint. They let me specify inputs and outputs, then even trimmed the output to my specified length AND I still have the warranty. Very happy. They won't care about your broken guts either, they'll accept that junk as a core.

Hell yeah!! If the guy I'm supposed to talk to tomorrow can't get me going for cheap and easy, I believe I'll hit them up! Thank you!!

I dropped my transmission off to a local yokel who deals with Cummins trucks a lot, who says he can repair what I have at a fair price. Hopefully he will have it together before too long.
Today I took my tranfser case apart, ordered new bearings and seals, and lined up a guy to TIG my cracked case half.
While taking it apart, I found a chewed up bolt and washer that had backed out of the nv4500 adapter. Apparently that one was the wrong size, as the holes in the adapter are all tapped standard.... dangit.
Anyway, I should be ready to start putting this beast back together in a couple of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom