Builds An Accidental Frame Off.................. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulled the pump this evening after parent-teacher meetings.

20221013_214356.jpg
20221013_214403.jpg
20221013_214430.jpg
20221013_214421.jpg

Pay no mind to the Audi water pump in the background, I did the timing belt maintenance on Tuesday.

Pretty sure I found the culprit.
20221013_214901.jpg
20221013_220239.jpg

Overall it doesn't look to be in bad shape. A little elbow grease and some Gorilla tape and I can be back on the road.
20221013_214937.jpg
20221013_220302.jpg

In the meantime I'll do what any self respecting trout bum would do with a day off, I'm going to throw some rods in the Audi and go toss some streamers on the Madison and drink some beverages in Ennis.

I also didn't find any evidence of fuel breaching the seal that leads to the arm which would dump fuel into the engine oil sump.

Gorilla tape to repair the diaphragm? I don’t think the sticky on the tape will like fuel after a bit.

I have always thought their fly rods were alright, but in today's world I've moved away from their products due to their current political/social agendas.
I felt strange about that as well. Like, don't make me also be the critic of someone else's business. The folks at their brick-and-mortar shops seem respectful, so what gives?

I felt strange about that as well. Like, don't make me also be the critic of someone else's business. The folks at their brick-and-mortar shops seem respectful, so what gives?
I only know what I have read about Orvis' politics in the last half hour but I would tend to give them a pass. They seem like decent folks.
I respect the company's longevity and success and appreciate their conservation efforts but I doubt anyone looks to Orvis for guidance in race relations.

Not a bad place to walk around with a fly rod.
20221014_150730.jpg

For obvious reasons I couldn't drive the Cruiser over there today, I had to test the Audi to see what it had on open roads. I'll vouch for 120 on the open road and extremely too fast on the windy mountain passes.

as luck would have it, no fish today. I only fished for about an hour, cherry picking the prime water.

20221014_145245.jpg

20221014_141337.jpg

So the flex tape didn’t work?

So the flex tape didn’t work?
It's a legitimate thought for a down and dirty repair if a guy was way off of the beaten path. Maybe the patch kit from some waders, or raft.

Depending how deep you were, sacrificing a circle out of waders may be worth it. Take it from the chest and turn them into fashionable hip boots. May not last too long but if it got you walking distance to a ride it’d be worth it.

Maybe I should go dunk a chunk of wader material in gas to see how long it would last….

Maybe I should go dunk a chunk of wader material in gas to see how long it would last…
The Aqua Seal from a repair kit, and a cut of Tenacious tape could save the day.

I'm curious how well the Cruiser Corps offering of electric fuel pump works on an OE carb? Toyota made it so you can wing a dead starter, with a hand-crank, or just pop the clutch in fourth. Haynes manual helped you bypass an early igniter. You can borrow a coil from your cousin's GM. I'd open up the alternator if the carbon brushes were at fault (better than sleeping another night in the desert - happened to me). Half of the carburetor can fail just because you have a manual choke. I know by heart how to get home without an ignition switch and just brake lights. One brake circuit can completely fail, as long as it isn't in the m.c. You can put out a cab fire by smothering a bunch of of open-end wrenches on it. Not saying to convert to electric, just carry this tiny, inexpensive part, maybe with a delete plate for the block?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom