Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Parts Program Discussion (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I asked the Toyota parts guy today about the Heritage Program. He didn’t know anything about it and looked it up on line. He said I have to go through Toyota Gazoo Racing.com.

But we are about to get a GR Corolla that will ONLY be a manual and will all be made in a factory in Japan so....

^ Not sure if /s/

But that is not relevant to the discussion here. The topic is about 4*4/vintage wants and needs.

I asked the Toyota parts guy today about the Heritage Program. He didn’t know anything about it and looked it up on line. He said I have to go through Toyota Gazoo Racing.com.

Probably as much a who Toyota decided should distribute vintage Land Cruiser parts to the public. Have we seen any true NLA parts made available to the public thru their Toyota dealers here in the US? Would be nice if these parts were easy to get and not without stupidly inflated prices.

Another batch of Heritage parts arrived today. More tail light covers, PTO winch knob, front drive switch and a couple other goodies :cool:

This is old news.
They failed with the designed by pencil pushing committee FJ Cruiser.
Canceled the Land Cruiser in USA
Won't give us the 70 series
Cram their vehicles with troublesome 'tech' when a bulletproof locker and proper gearing would do 99% of the needs
Only offer the manual trans Tacoma on certain trims, and then state; "see, no one buys manuals"
Focus on flashy headlights and tail lights and paint colors instead of outright dependability and reliability.
Rebadged a BMW to bring back a 'flagship' nameplate
Slaps TRD stickers on Camrys
Won't battle the New Bronco and Wrangler

on and on....
Extremely well put sir, 1000% agree. It’s things like this that make me think Toyota has lost its way, I want solid front axle but just unwilling to have a Jeep that will most likely have engine issues at around 100K miles. And so I keep my 40’s running👍

Lost their way and selling every 4x4 vehicle they can make ;) New Toyota automobile owners are pretty pumped at the current offerings, their voices get a bit more weight than a 3rd and 4th owner Land Cruiser enthusiast unfortunately.

It's a business, not a passion for them. As a shareholder I kindve appreciate that fact. As a Land Cruiser enthusiast since before I could drive, I loathe it. I've sat at the table with Toyota USA brass, CE's and product planning teams begging for a 70, lockers, etc... multiple occasions in fact. Until there is a business case for it, there is no chance of it happening. I'll be back at Toyota HQ soon, of course I'll be begging for more :D

Is/was the FJ Cruiser a failure? It brought a ton of new car buyers to the Toyota family, many of which now continue buy 4Runners, Tundras, Land Cruisers, etc. In fact I can count dozens of customers that started in FJ Cruisers because it was new, exciting, different... and now the buy new Toyota's. It still sells well in GCC markets fwiw. Imo it served it's purpose in the US as evidenced by the number of Toyota buyers that started with the FJC.

Lost their way and selling every 4x4 vehicle they can make ;) New Toyota automobile owners are pretty pumped at the current offerings, their voices get a bit more weight than a 3rd and 4th owner Land Cruiser enthusiast unfortunately.

It's a business, not a passion for them. As a shareholder I kindve appreciate that fact. As a Land Cruiser enthusiast since before I could drive, I loathe it. I've sat at the table with Toyota USA brass, CE's and product planning teams begging for a 70, lockers, etc... multiple occasions in fact. Until there is a business case for it, there is no chance of it happening. I'll be back at Toyota HQ soon, of course I'll be begging for more :D

Is/was the FJ Cruiser a failure? It brought a ton of new car buyers to the Toyota family, many of which now continue buy 4Runners, Tundras, Land Cruisers, etc. In fact I can count dozens of customers that started in FJ Cruisers because it was new, exciting, different... and now the buy new Toyota's. It still sells well in GCC markets fwiw. Imo it served it's purpose in the US as evidenced by the number of Toyota buyers that started with the FJC.
I'd be interested to understand more about the lack of business case. How come Jeep and Ford found a business case but Toyota can’t? How many Jeeps and Broncos have to be sold before they're convinced? What exactly is causing the blind spot?
I'm more inclined to say the guys in business suits are way too removed from reality. It happened to GM in the '80s and they never recovered. A lot of the decisions Toyota has made are just plain wrong, like the fantasy around hydrogen and the front end styling of the new Tundra.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to understand more about the lack of business case. How come Jeep and Ford found a business case but Toyota can’t? How many Jeeps and Broncos have to be sold before they're convinced? What exactly is causing the blind spot?
I'm more inclined to say the guys in business suits are way too removed from reality. It happened to GM in the '80s and they never recovered. A lot of the decisions Toyota has made are just plain wrong, like the fantasy around hydrogen and the front end styling of the new Tundra.

The Bronco and arguably the Jeep are not in-class competitors with the 7x Series. They land squarely in the same space as the 4Runner/Tacoma/GX imo. This is evidenced by the many customers that bounce back and forth between the those exact platforms. Toyota is selling every premium 4Runner and Tacoma they build, why harvest their own market and/or introduce a giant parts, training and sales logistic to abscond a few sales from manufactures not under the same CAFE restrictions and/or import tariffs. For those that want a new 7x Series bad enough in the US, they have found a way to do so. For the others that would love to own one 3rd and 4th hand... it's no secret Toyota isn't exactly listening to that segment.

Curious, have you spent time in a brand new 7x Series? Do you put it in the same class as a Colorado, Ranger, Wrangler or Bronco or Tacoma/4Runner for that matter? Imo many new car US buyers would scoff at the ride quality, handling and accoutrements of the 7x platform in the US, all while it competes against the Tacoma (79) or 4Runner (76).

Fwiw, we drove brand new 70's (VDJ76/78/79) around the globe over two years, I've spent time in/around/under dozens of others on trips or personal pursuits. Amazing machines and love my personal 70's. But true buyers of a $50-100k Land Cruiser in the US with vinyl floors, utility ride quality and handling, low speed, etc... are few and far in between. Oh, and production is tapped on those too, they are no longer taking orders for them in the markets they currently service. Ironically nearly all of us that were part of that global expedition, own 200's and would repeat that trip again in a heartbeat, this time from the comfort, speed and handling of a 200. Sure it's loaded with electronics... none of which have proven to be reliability factors in the 15 years of abuse they are seeing around the glove in conditions faaaaaar more austere than the US. I spend time in the Utah desert doing mobility training with soldiers headed down range. Here we are training in old 7x's, Surf, Hilux, 80 and 100... and they are equipped with loaded and built up-armored 200's down range.

Re: Styling of the new Tundra. They too are selling faster than they can make them. I was just running a media drive event for Toyota/Lexus last week in northern Georgia. We had the new Tundra, Sequioa, LX600 and current gen 4Runner, Tacoma and GX460 including the J201, GX460 and Tacoma overland concepts we worked with Toyota and Lexus USA to build. The new models are absolute fan favorites of the media and the 300+ late model Toyota owning attendees at the event. Take those same vehicles to a Land Cruiser event (Cruise Moab for example ;) ) and many would (and did) scoff at the styling of Tundra, Seqoia and certinaly the LX600. Guess which event Toyota spends the most money doing engagement activities at?

A few of our event fleet from last weekend. Nothing like taking brand new vehicles offroad before they hit 100 miles on the odometer :cool:

1665175944323.png

Last edited:
Re: Styling of the new Tundra. They too are selling faster than they can make them. I was just running a media drive event for Toyota/Lexus last week in northern Georgia. We had the new Tundra, Sequioa, LX600 and current gen 4Runner, Tacoma and GX460 including the J201, GX460 and Tacoma overland concepts we worked with Toyota and Lexus USA to build. The new models are absolute fan favorites of the media and the 300+ late model Toyota owning attendees at the event. Take those same vehicles to a Land Cruiser event (Cruise Moab for example ;) ) and many would (and did) scoff at the styling of Tundra, Seqoia and certinaly the LX600. Guess which event Toyota spends the most money doing engagement activities at?
What's your overall impression of the new Sequoia? My oldest son is thinking of buying one when they become available.

What's your overall impression of the new Sequoia? My oldest son is thinking of buying one when they become available.

I'm very impressed, particular with the power/delivery of the hybrid i-FORCE MAX setup. I spent an equal amount of time in the Tundra Hybrid, it too impressed me. Make no mistake I wish and want a Land Cruiser back in the US. But I've never put the Tundra or Sequoia in the same category so it's not an either/or for me... different use cases. I own old Land Cruisers, a new Land Cruiser and a late model GX460. It's just my wife and two dogs... I don't see a Sequoia or Tundra in my future but am happy to see they are so popular and those that have gotten their hands on them are loving them (except ~ @ginericLC :D)

Well put Kurt and I am glad “one of us” is still trying to make the case for us getting a 70 series here, Stateside, a Troopy please? A solid front axle is missed and would also put the hurt on Jeep👍 When you look at what the FJ40 was, a true utility vehicle to what we get stateside now I am sorry but they have “lost their way”. It has become an iconic classic for being just that, a no compromise utility oriented off roader. Some of us love that and would be more than willing to drive a hardcore off-roader with minimalist vinyl interior and little to no creature comforts but we are not given that option here in USA. I own a nicely setup ‘19 4Runner TRD Pro setup for Overlanding and 2 very original FJ40’s. Guess which ones put a WAY bigger smile on my face every time I am behind the wheel of either? Just saying……

Last edited:
Back to the Heritage Parts program. One of the innovators behind it (and Cheif Engineer of the 200 and late model 7x platforms) is coming to the US and on to Baja next month. I'm very excited to get to spend more time with him and perhaps learn about more plans they have for this program.

The Bronco and arguably the Jeep are not in-class competitors with the 7x Series. They land squarely in the same space as the 4Runner/Tacoma/GX imo. This is evidenced by the many customers that bounce back and forth between the those exact platforms. Toyota is selling every premium 4Runner and Tacoma they build, why harvest their own market and/or introduce a giant parts, training and sales logistic to abscond a few sales from manufactures not under the same CAFE restrictions and/or import tariffs. For those that want a new 7x Series bad enough in the US, they have found a way to do so. For the others that would love to own one 3rd and 4th hand... it's no secret Toyota isn't exactly listening to that segment.

Curious, have you spent time in a brand new 7x Series? Do you put it in the same class as a Colorado, Ranger, Wrangler or Bronco or Tacoma/4Runner for that matter? Imo many new car US buyers would scoff at the ride quality, handling and accoutrements of the 7x platform in the US, all while it competes against the Tacoma (79) or 4Runner (76).

Fwiw, we drove brand new 70's (VDJ76/78/79) around the globe over two years, I've spent time in/around/under dozens of others on trips or personal pursuits. Amazing machines and love my personal 70's. But true buyers of a $50-100k Land Cruiser in the US with vinyl floors, utility ride quality and handling, low speed, etc... are few and far in between. Oh, and production is tapped on those too, they are no longer taking orders for them in the markets they currently service. Ironically nearly all of us that were part of that global expedition, own 200's and would repeat that trip again in a heartbeat, this time from the comfort, speed and handling of a 200. Sure it's loaded with electronics... none of which have proven to be reliability factors in the 15 years of abuse they are seeing around the glove in conditions faaaaaar more austere than the US. I spend time in the Utah desert doing mobility training with soldiers headed down range. Here we are training in old 7x's, Surf, Hilux, 80 and 100... and they are equipped with loaded and built up-armored 200's down range.

A few of our event fleet from last weekend. Nothing like taking brand new vehicles offroad before they hit 100 miles on the odometer :cool:

View attachment 3134458

Well written. My first 2 cars were 75 series Ute's and I drive a 79 series ute for work.
Anyone who thinks the 70 series would sell well in the US is dreaming.

We are all landcruiser enthusiasts and we are prepared to put up with the uncomfortable ride for the sake of a really strong bulletproof vehicle.

The vast majority arnt. Everyone I work with drives 79 series for our work vehicles as well and they hate them. They have no care for the history or the strength. They just see them as antiquated, rough, horrible seating position and loud.

I'm willing to bet most people who are begging for these 70 series on this forum have never driven or even sat in one.

I've driven American trucks and they are some of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever driven. Massive v8's with armchair like seats. Most Americans would jump out of one of them and into a 79 series and think 'what the **** is this s***?!!
I'm not having a crack at the American obesity but a large portion of the population wouldn't even fit in the driver's seat! I know the Ameircan trucks arnt as strong 4x4, but for 99% of the population they are strong enough for what they will use them for. The majority of buyers will never even put their car in 4x4. We are the minority who actually take them out and put them through their paces.

We are all enthusiasts on this forum, we arnt the normal customer. The amount of money it would cost for Toyota to send the 70 series platform to America would be astronomical, and I really doubt they would sell any except to hardcore nuffies like us.

In saying all this im not bagging out the 70 series, I love em. I spend multiple hours every single day in one. But I understand the realities of them and realistically, they are stupidly overpriced for what is really just a modern bulletproof farm truck.

I'd buy a 70-series in a heartbeat just to piss off Kalifornia Tesla drivers.

Comfort is overrated

But Imma a Red-neck in a Blue State.

:hillbilly:

I'd had to this discussion that in Europe some companies are able to grey import new 70 series. Price for one with all various taxes and registration process, around 70k€

Guess how many are sold to individuals each year? Two handful per country max.

Some companies (impoundment, mines, etc.) import more of them (at least when it was possible tot import them in diesel) but this a very different target that the enthusiasts.

Actually in the last years of official Toyota import of the 70 series in Europe (2001), for France they were only selling the 78 and 79 in utilitarian configuration, no 71/74. Only companies bought them in significative number.

View attachment 3134458
Thanks for the comprehensive response. I think you do a better job of representing Toyota's business plan than their own reps!

I believe Toyota's mainstream customers are primarily focused on reliability and build quality, and they'll tolerate the styling. I'm sure Toyota is selling every unit, in part due to the current inventory shortage. Overall sales numbers have taken a big hit while Ford and GM sales have been soaring. We shall see what happens in the coming quarters.

Sorry for the detour. Now back to the Heritage programe.

Last edited:

Unpopular opinion: FJ40 purists will find a Jeep Wrangler JK or JL to be a more ideal modern version of the FJ40 than the FJ Cruiser ever was or any of the other Toyota lineup currently offered in the US. I am one of the few forum members probably who can appreciate more makes and models outside of the Toyota brand, I have owned 2 new Jeep wranglers among many other brands and have found them to be very capable and fun vehicles to own and really nothing to complain about them. Jeep wranglers consistently get "poor reviews" by auto journalists due to the nature of their ride, off-road suspension and boxy design but they sure sell the sh*& out of them because people like their vehicles to be fun and different.

Like @Racer65 mentioned above, Toyota fans compromise on just about everything else and remain loyal to the brand primarily for reliability and quality but I'm not so sure that statement is as true now as it once was. Toyota has just moved so far away from the original vehicles that their offroad heritage comes from at least in the US which is not surprising or unique to Toyota I guess but I find their current vehicle offerings and for the last 15 years to be quite boring personally. You can't even blame them entirely because of consumer expectations for new vehicles, it is just disappointing based on the fact we all love the nostalgic 4x4 vehicles. Do we like the classics so much because they remind us of our youth and they bring us back to simpler, happier times or is it because they are unique and radical in design compared to modern humdrum vehicles? Is it because they are cheaper to buy 2nd hand, wheel and modify than newer 4x4's? Easier to work DIY on as an offroad hobby? It is ironic that the 70 series is probably one of the most dated new vehicles still being made but also is so highly sought after by a certain segment of buyers. I can see the argument why it doesn't make sense for Toyota to bring the currently produced 70 series to the US for various reasons, I can accept that. I wish it weren't true but I get it. I imported a 70 series to enjoy a vehicle like this at this point in my life as I have found old 40 series to be too impractical for regular use and newer Toyota's just don't do it for me tbh. I wouldn't hesitate considering another Jeep or Bronco if I was shopping current offerings.

It does make you pause and wonder how the heck Jeep is still selling Solid Axle Wranglers in the hundreds of thousands every year though and the new Bronco has been tremendously popular if the market doesn't want that type of vehicle? Like, seriously, think about that. The Jeep wrangler is the only vehicle I know of available in the US anymore with solid axles front and rear and most are equipped with tons of off-road features. Mercedes G-wagon or some HD trucks maybe? I would love to see Toyota come up with a FJCruiser redo now that they have axed the 200 series in the US. A capable, updated mid sized SUV design with removeable top that nods to the original FJ40 or other land cruiser models, modern as it has to be, to meet safety standards but still simple and affordable as possible, solid axles would be exciting but not necessarily a deal breaker. I think Toyota has settled on the 4runner and Taco being their only off-road offerings here but it seems like they could do so much more.

Last edited:
^ spot on.
There are 2 seperate, distinct asks of Toyota by the die hard fans

1. A verson of the 70 series....which the brass seems to think there isn't a biz case for. That horse has been beaten.
2. A competitor to the Bronco and Wrangler. This would not canibalize tacoma or 4runner sales....it would steal buyers from Ford and Jeep. The open top/removbale doors 'look tough' thing is VERY in right now and shows no sign of stopping. Toyota has a fantastic history, names, designs, and pedigree in this space but doesn't act on it. This would make money.....this is the reason for the furstration and confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom