What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (62 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Complete rebuild of front diff including diff housing .... first time i ever see a cracked diff housing lol.
I keep having more respect for the Landcruiser, the car really keeps going well, broken brake disks, cracked diff, worn front diff hub and the list goes on and still drivable and functional .....
Out with the old and in with the new..... slowly but surely :D

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-13 at 10.11.09 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-13 at 10.20.10 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-13 at 10.20.41 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-15 at 2.14.32 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-15 at 2.15.02 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
Complete rebuild of front diff including diff housing .... first time i ever see a cracked diff housing lol.
I keep having more respect for the Landcruiser, the car really keeps going well, broken brake disks, cracked diff, worn front diff hub and the list goes on and still drivable and functional .....
Out with the old and in with the new..... slowly but surely :D

View attachment 3115440View attachment 3115441View attachment 3115442View attachment 3115443View attachment 3115444
For sure they rarely if ever leave you stranded regardless of the breakage. The only other cars that did that for me were my old VWs. I drove my 1963 Deluxe 23 Window bus 6000 miles and it was running rough by the time I got back. Took the engine apart and there as a hole in 1 of the cylinders but it got me home. What did you do to fix that crack?

For sure they rarely if ever leave you stranded regardless of the breakage. The only other cars that did that for me were my old VWs. I drove my 1963 Deluxe 23 Window bus 6000 miles and it was running rough by the time I got back. Took the engine apart and there as a hole in 1 of the cylinders but it got me home. What did you do to fix that crack?
Found a diff case in good condition and swamped it. I have little faith in any one welding this well enough. Sooner or later it will spread, I honestly am not sure what an earth could cracked this but it seems like a stress fracture rather than impact.

Found a diff case in good condition and swamped it. I have little faith in any one welding this well enough. Sooner or later it will spread, I honestly am not sure what an earth could cracked this but it seems like a stress fracture rather than impact.
A stress fracture on the top would indicate to me that the truck has been MASSIVELY overloaded frequently, then driven on rough roads in that condition Could also be that it was use to pull heavy loads and the differential was loose, allowing flex in the housing.

Typically, all cracks should show up on the bottom due to direction of loading.

I think it was wise that you swapped the housing.

Yah it was frequently used for relief missions for desert dwellers in Egypt. Carrying considerable heavy load for very rough terrain, the drive shaft connecting front diff to transfer case has been welded and is badly worn so your analysis is accurate on both accounts.

The diff housing was losing oil for sure, topped it off and had very little when the plug was open.

Yah it was frequently used for relief missions for desert dwellers in Egypt. Carrying considerable heavy load for very rough terrain, the drive shaft connecting front diff to transfer case has been welded and is badly worn so your analysis is accurate on both accounts.

The diff housing was losing oil for sure, topped it off and had very little when the plug was open.

And this is why I drive an 80 series. You won't see any jeeps running relief missions in the deserts of Egypt, Africa, Australia, etc.

Last edited:

this is pretty damn cool.

I think I've sucked up all the stranded break downs you guys miss....

Ones missing where I was stranded for 5 hours but managed to fix it before the tow arrived.

20220528_151711.jpg
20220104_094216.jpg
20211214_101636.jpg

I just submitted my "Do NOT close these public lands" to the comment section for BLM Labyrinth Rims/Gemini Bridges Travel Management Area. If you don't know they are trying to close 437 miles of trails which covers over 300k square miles around Moab.
Sorry if this is totally the wrong place to put this but this is SUPER important! Let me know if there is a better place to put this notice so that everyone can comment to protect our public lands.
Comment here:

It is its actually one of the reasons I fell in love with this car.

Asked the previous owner and he sent me some photos, once the car is rebuilt I'm planning on joining this lovely tradition.
The car is in the first pic on dune top, and you are right @leonard_nemoy there are no jeeps there only Toyota.
this is pretty damn cool.

IMG-20220529-WA0167.jpg

IMG-20220529-WA0110.jpg

IMG-20220529-WA0092.jpg

What paint are you using for the differential and under body. I did mine two years ago but didn't get too medieval on the rust and noticed the POR-15 FLAKING OFF 😞. I'M ready to go back at it with with a grinder with a wire brush and some sweat. Mahalo Brudda

What ever black spray paint I have on hand.

It is its actually one of the reasons I fell in love with this car.

Asked the previous owner and he sent me some photos, once the car is rebuilt I'm planning on joining this lovely tradition.
The car is in the first pic on dune top, and you are right @leonard_nemoy there are no jeeps there only Toyota.

View attachment 3116252

View attachment 3116253

View attachment 3116255
I'd really like to see some more photos, if possible.

Have you thought of putting a book together?

I'd really like to see some more photos, if possible.

Have you thought of putting a book together?
I will ask him for more photos, they are going on a relief mission next month i will unfortunately be traveling for business and i will miss out.

Sorry I dont follow what you mean regarding the book, can you please elaborate ?

I will ask him for more photos, they are going on a relief mission next month i will unfortunately be traveling for business and i will miss out.

Sorry I dont follow what you mean regarding the book, can you please elaborate ?
Regarding the book...putting together a book of photos in Egypt...maybe putting it up on Kindle or physical books to make a little more awareness. Maybe take the proceeds to help the relief efforts.

I know I would be interested in seeing the photos in a book and I would assume many others would too.

Oh got it, funny enough we do have a printing company so that part is easy.
Its a wondeful idea to be honest, yah its possible.
Let me start by gathering Pictures and see whats available.

Thanks for the idea !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom