Builds Uglina is Back Thread ('78 Mustard FJ40) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The fleet has arrived...

The storage is going to work out fine. But I really, really, really need to find my own storage/workshop space. Anyone in the Durango area reading this with a line on a honkin big shop/storage space for rent/sale please let me know. Ideally, I find something ~5000sq feet nearish to Durango proper.

Home is where you hang your hat. And park your Cruiser.

It's also where you go to Cars & Coffee and meet cool new car peeps.

AND, it's also where you go wheeling (up by Lemon Rez):

She performed like a champ. The Walbro fuel pump must go; insanely noisy. I still have some fuel smell. Not sure the Sniper tune is right still; power seems lacking.

Had to be in 4L most of the time given my 373 gearing and big tires. But that's no biggie.

I need some seat covers so my butt/back doesn't get so sweaty. Any recos?

I missed it....did you leave Bellevue and SLC permanently for Durango?

Did you sell the blue BMW with the S54?

Did you sell the blue BMW with the S54?

I'm glad someone's paying attention!

No, Minerva is in CA having the S54 rebuilt. It failed (oil blow by) during my trip to Reno last Fall. I've been not pushing them hard to get the work done because all that's been going on in my life. That's about to change.

Wow, you’ve been busy. World traveling, relocating, relationship changing...
Good to see the cruiser again, they’re never ‘finished’ apparently.
🙂

Looks great, especially the half doors.

Uglina's basically been my daily this summer in Durango. With the top off, it's just such a great car to zip around in. She's always making friends...

She's also good for demonstrating how big the breakfast burritos are at the 11th street station food truck.

Last month a bunch of Cruiserhead's met up. It was awesome getting to know a few more peeps in my new home town.

She's running great, but the fuel pump is insanely loud and the gas fumes left in the garage when parked needed to be addressed...

When we put the Holley Sniper EFI in, I specified a TRE in-tank pump. The guy who did the work promised me he had used a TRE and not a Walbro. He lied. I knew this because the pump immediately got loud. TRE pumps don't get loud. Walbros do (in my experience).

Sure enough when I pulled the pump it was a Walbro. In went a TRE...

I'm still not 100% sure what's causing the fuel smell, but it's likely the evap system. The first clue is the OE charcoal canister where the vent connection on the bottom was cracked to the point it broke off when I removed it.

I've decided to get a new ACDelco canister and stop valve per other threads here. But I'm not really sure I know how to plumb it up. I'd appreciate y'll checking my work...

Some facts:

1978 FJ40 with almost all emissions stuff removed.

Original/OE fuel tank with original fuel fume separator that looks to be uncracked and in good shape.

Holley Sniper 2300 EFI. In-tank TRE pump with output/return lines plumbed straight to Sniper (with in-line filter).

The guy who put the Sniper in (or it was this way before), plumbed the nipple on the passenger side of the air cleaner to the top nipple on the distirbutor:

The other nipple on the distributor is currently plumbed to the '3/16" Minfold Vacuum" port on the Sniper.

The `3/8" Manifold Vacuum (Brake booster)' and '3/16" Ported Vacuum (Vaccum Advance Distributor)" are capped.

Also, currently, the vacuum for the charcoal canister is plumbed to the nippled on the driver's side of the air cleaner assembly.

I'm confused about this. Here's the Sniper layout:
zLKXjYh.png

The original charcoal canister bracket will be used to hold (perhaps with some adaptation) the soon-to-arrive ACDelco canister. Looks like this:

81+adbngwhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B000C9I9GQ
This purge valve is inbound too:
61CqKgadEzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B00557YRP2
Questions:

- Should I be using the "Ported Vacuum" port on the Sniper to provide vaccum to the dizzy? Did my guy do it wrong? Seems to drive well as-is.
- For the canister I bought, I was going to plumb from the non-ported "3/16 Manifold Vacuum" on the Sniper to a tee which will then go to "purge valve & cansiter" and "top nipple on dizzy". Is that right?
- If I'm right about the above then I can cap all the ports on the air cleaner. Right?

Thanks.

v3elGWc[1].png

Above shows how I replumbed everything.

The rig seems to be running fantanstic, so I think I got it right.

Too soon to tell if the fuel smell is actually gone though.

I was able to use one of the original mounting brackets from the OE charcoal canister, slightly elongating the mounting holes, to hold the slightly larger, lighter plastic Delco canister in the OE spot.

I ran the manifold vacuum via the old metal fuel line that runs behind the engine on the firewall, reducing a bit of clutter.

The new TRE in-tank pump is silent compared to the POS Walbro, which makes me extra happy.

My new shop in Durango is coming along nicely. Uglina has been stored there for the past few months. Today we poured concrete for the lifts and one of the doors was hung...

Damn. What a ride this thread was/is.
Mustard is my color of choice whenever I do a frame off on a Girl named Norman, but for for now she’s running strong and I’m just eating an elephant.

My cousin lives in Durango and I get up there often to visit. Maybe I’ll see you around and I can be the ugly friend at the party?

Thanks for the time spent on this thread, it’s inspiring and informative…

Ian

C57B2031-42AE-49FF-9BA4-189F324DB0EF.jpeg

My new workshop in Durango, Gruntled HQ, is coming along nicely. It's still the project vs. the place where projects happen, but that won't be for long.

I put Uglina on the lift yesterday just to test fitment/lift points. The short wheelbase makes things interesting.

For my new workshop (full thread on GarageJournal, here), I'm crafting a new hoist for Uglina's hardtop.

It's still under construction, but I found this "van roof rack" on Amazon, that I'm pretty happy with. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, and i have no idea if I'll ever use it as a roof rack, but it is going to work brilliantly to hang the roof from the cable system.

Amazon link: Amazon product ASIN B077Z62VSR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom