Builds Uglina is Back Thread ('78 Mustard FJ40) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the lights, 81110-60P70 from Toyota.

I was able to pick Uglina up a the shop Monday afternoon.

Since the last report here's what we've done:

• Polished paint and professionally ceramic paint treatment to bring out the shine and prevent further oxidation/patina (by Dusty @ Envision Detail in Salt Lake city; class-act and very good).
  • Remounted speakers
  • Attempted to fix PS belt squeal (not fixed)
  • Really fixed fuel smell? - Changed out check valve, re-did fuel hoses (all vent lines with new clamps), fixed cracked plug on fuel tank line, removed the VSV valve from between canister and manifold, swapped vacuum line from charcoal canister from throttle body to correct port on intake housing.
  • Fixed leak in EGR block off plate - billet EGR block off plate.
  • Replaced ammeter - now working correctly.
  • Found and reattached cap for transfer case knob.
  • Replaced screw in bezel.
  • New wipers.

On Tuesday I went for a drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon because it was snowing. I've actually never driven this rig in the snow and was a little nervous about the tires since they've been on her since 2007. They were fine. I know technically they are too old, but they show no signs of rot and only have about 6,000 miles on them. Plus, I understand you can't actually buy 33x9.5x15 BFG ATs anymore and I love the tall/skinny look! The weather provided for some pretty good photos; too bad I didn't have a 'real' camera.

The shop damaged the left front fender previously and had it repainted. The paint does not match. They've agreed to fix it correctly and I'm going to have the rust on the passenger door fixed and it repainted because it just needs to be done. I will drop her back off at the shop Friday...

Pretty safe to say Uglina likes Utah. And I like having her back. I'm excited about being able to wrench on her myself in a few months when the house is done and we're out of the apartment.

New list of to-dos:

• Driver's side defrost vent always blows cold. Passenger blows hot when DEF is on. How could that be?
  • I've not played out winch and re-wound it yet (you are supposed to this according to the manual).
  • Re-do door seals (I put gaskets in in 2006-7 and didn't do a great job and a few are loose).
  • I think one of the speakers' cones is bad as I get distortion sometimes.
  • Figure out a different mount for the Holly Sniper LCD; that's where my phone goes.
  • Fix Alternator/AC belt whine
On the last one, this truck has done this since I got it in 2006 (to some degree). We suspect it is do to the belt not getting enough wrap around the AC compressor. Thoughts?
. How’d she do up little cottonwood with the sniper set-up? I’m hopeful to drop mine off at legends4x4 next month for that setup.

. How’d she do up little cottonwood with the sniper set-up? I’m hopeful to drop mine off at legends4x4 next month for that setup.

FAR better than when I tried it with the carb! I mean it's still just a 2F, but at least it's not sucking air due to altitude.

Ok. One more time, back from the shop.

I'm happy with the paint now. My ceramic guy (Dusty at Envision Detail) has offered to re-coat the door and fender and I'm grateful for that.

While it was there I had them install a Kioto headlight kit (thanks for the suggestion @onemanarmy).

We figured out part of the defogger problem: The hose connecting the heater box to the vent was fubared. With that fixed, we thought all would be good. However, the amount of hot air the blows out the top is about the amount you'd expect a baby butterfly to generate. I know these things were never great, but there should be more air. In Vent there's tons of flow but almost none in Heat or Def. The output of the fan seems strong. I suspect it is either the fan or the resistor pack at this point. Any insight?

We also discovered the hoses from the heater to the dash are pre-78 and don't have connections for the side window vents! Are those parts still available somewhere as I'd really like to have those vents work.

Hit a nice "mile"stone driving around today:

But, best of all, I got some more great snow pics and *had* to put her in 4H ;)

Love.

Still to do:
  • I've not played out winch and re-wound it yet (you are supposed to this according to the manual).
  • Re-do door seals (I put gaskets in in 2006-7 and didn't do a great job and a few are loose).
  • I think one of the speakers' cones is bad as I get distortion sometimes.
  • Fix Alternator/AC belt whine

In vent mode is it bypassing the heater core? Maybe the core is plugged up?

We did a bunch of work on the fuel system, TPS, etc... The rig feels like it's running beautifully. I've put maybe 250 miles on it since any work has been done.

Does all this look about right? Duty cycle still seems high.

The other day I encountered this marketing ploy by Kulh (built by Mule Outfitters near my real home in Issaquah, WA) near Little Cottonwood Canyon. Amazing how tiny Uglina appears next to it!

Today was a deep pow day in the SLC area. A perfect opportunity for me to just drive dat bish! I had a hoot just hooning around in the snow...and I didn't even get stuck!

These ~15 year old 33x9.5 tall-boys suck in the snow and ice. I believe a combination of the rubber compound likely getting hard with age, the wear (~10k miles?) on the tires, and the fact they are just an old design contribute. But they are just not confidence-inspiring in the snow.

So now I'm thinking about new tires. It really sucks you can't find 33x9.5s anymore. I want to retain the stock steel 5.5" x 15" wheels.

I also know it was a bit of a mistake to BOTH put 3.73 diffs AND the 33" wheels on this rig. It IS great on the freeway, but that's not really what I want to optimize for now. So, I'm considering going to 31" tires. Anyone have any good pics of Fj40s on 32" tires + at 2.5" EMU lift?

These days, what tires do people recommend that are good for light offroading but GREAT for snow/ice?

Last edited:
Maybe these will change your mind. I didn’t feel any real lost in drivability with 3.73’s and 33ish tires. 255-85-16 Yoks with FJ.co wheels. They look even better with the hub caps, but I don’t have and pics right now. Here is all you ever wanted to read about tires.
I would start with page 10.
BD02EE35-B582-4C4D-BDCF-30C034A3B422.jpeg

Last edited:
Hugely helpful thread! Thank you.

I just ordered 16x5.5" wheels from City Racer. This way I can put the classic 15s and tires away for safekeeping and have a much broader choice of tires. The current plan is to go with something ~31" diameter.

My daughter's boyfriend's boss has similar taste in cars to me. I actually know him from a prior life. The BF has been taking care of a few of his cars, and they somehow both have ended up in MY garage recently.

One is a '91 Porsche Carrera 4 in Amazongrun.

The other is Rin-Tin-Tin, this very cool '76 FJ40.

It's been a LONG time since I've driven an FJ40 other than mine. This rig drives very well and the motor is smooth and strong (def stronger than Uglinas). It doesn't have PS and the roll cage is super annoying. Love.

Flip the bezel to correct while you have it in your driveway. Tell the kid not to say anything and see if owner notices

LOL. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even notice that.

LOL. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even notice that.
It’s not something I normally notice or care to comment on but that Porsche and your sweet garage had me looking at the post closely. My daughters under a year old but hopefully dates a kid into cool cars when older

Reactions: TEQ
Three of my 5 CityRacer 16x5" wheels have arrived so I'm setting about ordering tires.

I think I'm settled on the BFG ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 in 235/85x16. I like the fact they will be a little smaller diameter than the "33 inch" BFG 33x10.5x15 I currently run to offset the 3.73 third-members.

The AT T/A KO2 are winter (snowflake) rated, which is a priority. I generally don't treat price as a top priority when it comes to tires.

Tell me why these are a bad idea before I pull the trigger ;).

I think you‘ll be happy with either. I’ve always been a Yokohama guy myself. They are on my Tacoma, Odyssey and 40. I have the Ats’s on my truck.

Nope - hitch basket helps though :)

Didn't think so.

Next question, should I really plan on keeping/storing these 33x10.5r15 tires that are now ~14 years old? I mean, I like the idea of keeping them for nostalgia reasons, but since the new wheels/tires are still 'tall/skinny' it's not like I will ever put them back on. I def will keep the WHEELS.

Are these old tires worth anything to anyone here?

Checked oil yesterday. Was shocked to discover it was super low. I have been driving it a lot, and have not been checking the oil each fillup. I guess she's burning more oil than she used to...

Put this in:

Here's some pr0n:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom