build: 71 FJ40 “Stripes” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

George, order yourself a gallon or two of Spray Nine heavy duty degreaser from Amazon and find an empty spray bottle to use for applying the degreaser. Use the spray nine on your firewall and engine, and you can get most of that grime off and looking very fresh. I would suggest scraping some of the heavier deposits off the head before going at it with the degreaser. You'll be amazed at how clean your engine bay will look! Use a toothbrush or small dish cleaning/scrubbing brush to agitate after it has had a chance to soak in and then use a hand pump weed sprayer with hot water to wash it off. Be mindful of the aluminum intake, I personally have not had bad experience with the spray nine on aluminum, but I have had bad experience with the castrol superclean etching an intake before :(

George, order yourself a gallon or two of Spray Nine heavy duty degreaser from Amazon and find an empty spray bottle to use for applying the degreaser. Use the spray nine on your firewall and engine, and you can get most of that grime off and looking very fresh. I would suggest scraping some of the heavier deposits off the head before going at it with the degreaser. You'll be amazed at how clean your engine bay will look! Use a toothbrush or small dish cleaning/scrubbing brush to agitate after it has had a chance to soak in and then use a hand pump weed sprayer with hot water to wash it off. Be mindful of the aluminum intake, I personally have not had bad experience with the spray nine on aluminum, but I have had bad experience with the castrol superclean etching an intake before :(
Yeah I have not cleaned the engine cause it is really caked on. I was actually waiting to have it running and hot so to spray oven cleaner all over it and possibly break down that grime.
I hav too use a screw driver and sometime a hammer to chisel it off. It is really thick.
As for the firewall I totally agree I need to do that.
I will definitely look for that product and do it.
I really don’t like how it looks.
Thank you !

Looks Sharp Jorge :)

don't forget Cable bond No. 1 / starter ground strap kit , this is KEY #! important part all land cruisers need !

View attachment 2930766

View attachment 2930767

View attachment 2930768

View attachment 2930769
Sorry to hijack, but Matt... can I assume this kit will work with my 1972 and an SBC conversion?

Picked up a receiver hitch at the Bakersfield Swap and Rally for the 40.
Painted it and installed it.

92164D90-28D7-402C-AC53-5AADEC7201F8.jpeg

Well I added all the fluids to the cruiser.
Replaced the points and rotor.
Purchased a new battery for it.
Did a pressure test on the cooling system and a few leaks started. One was the rear heater it had a leak and the thermostat housing produced a leak as well. ☹️
Removed the thermostat housing and noticed I didn’t apply any sealer. But it did have a gasket.
I temporarily pinched the rear heater lines. Went to start the truck it starts but won’t hold and idle.
I messed with the throttle and and saw that no fuel was coming out of the sprayers. So I am removing it and having it rebuilt.
Also, I started the registration process and got a temporary operation permit to be able to drive it to the exhaust shop and have a new exhaust installed and after that take it back to AAA so that she can verify the VIN #.
So once I get the carb back for it being rebuilt I can button up the registration and exhaust.
Real close to having it on the road and driving it.
Also pulled apart the fj60 axles I have and got the third members to install into the 40 so I can have 3:70 gears in the drive train.
While harvesting the parts off the axles I had forgotten I replaced all the rear brakes with new Toyota parts new drums, brake shoes, and wheel cylinders. All these parts installed prior to the y one crash that totaled my 60 series. But it lives on with part to my 40.

0680C2CD-817A-4459-B9C1-806BF739F3AC.jpeg

image.jpg

97226D71-D3C9-4A1A-960B-61C8E12AA956.jpeg

Traced down some wires that were clipped for some reason and bypassed. (Oil) and (Temp gauge)
I found them. Rather pulling out the whole wiring harness I found them and fixed them through the cowl vent on the 40.
Thanks too @ToyotaMatt for the color coded wires and connectors. Plus his crimping tool.

FC34BAED-4F8F-48B4-A7E6-9B17FBA33BF2.jpeg

E206B17A-69EF-470F-8AC1-71254C966AFC.jpeg

A78C1E54-75FD-4367-9578-04DA4E8E8AC5.jpeg

21DB1F9F-832A-4DCF-AB93-A96EB5E7B5E3.jpeg

Update on my 71 fj40.
Finally got it up and running. Had the carb rebuilt by @mattressking. He did a great job of getting it rebuilt and cleaned up. Great job Nathan and Thank you.
Once started I was ready to give it a little test drive. Go to put it in gear and nothing! Just grind grind grind. I thought possibly I installed the clutch disc on backwards. I checked and I knew I didnt. So I Get underneath I noticed the clutch fork was not even close to the pressure plate. I re-bled the slave cylinder and still nothing. Then noticed the slave rod was too short. I swapped it out for a longer one and that did the trick. Now I can get it in gear.
On the first drive it felt really held back. I get out and look to see if the hubs where unlocked they where. then went underneath and noticed that it is in 4wd. The front drive shaft is turning as you move. played with the FD and still nothing.
So I brought her back in and I removed the the Vacuum actuator off the firewall and and took it apart. Cleaned it out and made sure the rubbers where good. They where a bit stuck. Then I proceeded to remove the vacuum hard lines and I blew them out with compressed air. Finally they cleared out. Checked the one valve on the firewall put a vacuum gauge on it and nothing. Blew a little air in it and it came loose. Checked all the line tighten them and out all new hose clamps to make a good seal.
And wala the vacuum transfer works! It finally disengaged from 4wd to 2wd. No more front axle spinning.
Had a slight leak of brake fluid form the right rear hard line to brake hose. Tighten that up and we are all god there.
@Yotajeff hooked me up with a drivers side wing window. Got that installed. Thank you Jeff!
So now I made an appointment for the muffler shop for next Thursday. Get new exhaust installed from the manifold to the rear.

Backed her in so I can just drive her out next week for her new exhaust. Now going to modify the skid plate and mount it so muffler shop can run the pipe in between the floor and skid plate.

CD8C85ED-0732-495E-A1A2-1E25027A70B7.jpeg

3B7E7BCA-198E-4D57-82D4-70769FB985D4.jpeg

B375B545-43D3-4C10-A254-C97E35A334AF.jpeg

E7562F00-BDFF-49A6-9712-EFB521A1D27C.jpeg

1380DDD9-C5F1-4620-B8FD-8196BDB2DB2E.jpeg

Well I have been working on some little stuff on the cruiser. For one I wanted the light for 4wd to work. I checked all the wires no cuts along the way checked the switch and that was all good. Then asked around here on mud and few guys chimes in saying that possible bad switch and or a needs a ball in between the switch and and the TC housing. Well after having @ToyotaMatt dig around in his reference books to confirm what @middlecalf saw in his books. Determined it need a ball. I just so happen to have that ball. Installed it and works perfect. 👍🏽

Then started checking other electrical items that didn’t work. Front/Rear heater switches, wipers and E Brake light.
So I removed the vent switches sending those off to @ToyotaMatt to do his magic on them.

5808BFC9-C45F-46B9-BB7F-80AB88A50A4F.jpeg

Today I set her up to be picked up with Tow truck and transport her to the muffler shop!
And get her all new exhaust from the header back.
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/99/09/C8098253-1993-4E0C-BF1E-86DCB339F096/IMG_9472.MOV

Then after drive her too AAA to have her VIN verified and get my tags.

Here is a shot of the temporary empty space in my parking area which has never been empty for more than a week in the last 8 to 9 years.
It’s kinda nice!

A7183555-3FFA-4914-98BB-F0DA7405B8BD.jpeg

EF034571-130B-4CEE-9AD3-0BAE728C17C0.jpeg

Well today I finally got my exhaust installed and she sounds great. Runs pretty good too. I forgot how bad 40 series ride. 😆
But hey I’m happy I have her.
It was a 4 or 5 mile drive and that was the first long drive on this truck. A few things need addressing but overall it drives like a 40 series.
No overheating and no stalling!
I beat my goal by 9 days. It was delivered June 18th 2021.
Here she is parked on the street with my 60.
Kind of fun to watch peoples reaction having these two parked next to each other.

536B885B-581A-46FC-914F-0ED722084E8F.jpeg

54076DDA-20F3-4524-A3AE-B29E3B4D3B19.jpeg

4026C72B-5ED0-44D7-914E-55E5AB7C60D5.jpeg

Well Jorge,

Ya did it brotha! Just read the thread and loved seeing it all come together. Glad we could locate and deliver a cruiser to such a deserving cruiserhead.

Here’s a pic of Stripes i shot on delivery day June 18 2021, Mt.Whitney off in the distance.

Give me a shout when you’re up in Morro Bay.

-Joe
Rawson Motorsports
Login • Instagram - http://instagram.com/rawsonmotorsports

5CE59107-31A9-4178-8E6B-CD8F148637BD.jpeg

Well Jorge,

Ya did it brotha! Just read the thread and loved seeing it all come together. Glad we could locate and deliver a cruiser to such a deserving cruiserhead.

Here’s a pic of Stripes i shot on delivery day June 18 2021, Mt.Whitney off in the distance.

Give me a shout when you’re up in Morro Bay.

-Joe
Rawson Motorsports
Login • Instagram - http://instagram.com/rawsonmotorsports

View attachment 3030210
Thank you Joe! For hooking me up with it.
And with the rest of your help.
Good shot! 👍🏽
Will see you soon.

Did a valve adjustment to the Ole F engine this weekend. And adjusted and tuned the carb rebuilt by @mattressking.
Engine is steady and tuned and timed.
I had a an oil leak at the Valve cover so that gave me the opportunity to clean up the surface and new gasket again and re seal it.
No more leak.!

After it’s tune up.
I drove it 36 miles south to Anaheim for an all Toyota gathering.
Gotta say the cruiser ran great!
Steering needs a little more looking into it.
Brakes work perfect. And so does the parking brake.
It wasn’t bad for it first time run after a long 15 year slumber.
Little more things to take care of. But for the most part she is running.

5DDE6A43-E89A-469A-97E3-3459D7B8D186.jpeg

15801B5E-0A11-4FB9-B02F-0E0186EDC887.jpeg

Well
I finally got the cruiser plated and registered. Had to do a VIN check. Unfortunately, I couldn’t keep the blue plates it came with. But, I have too give it to the girl at DMV who tried everything possible to get them reinstated.
Since the truck was not registered for the last 14 years and with no activity I had to trade in the plates for newer white ones.
Oh well at least it is registered and legal.

1A52F3BC-C7BA-441D-8C4F-9F7DCAF0D62C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom